The Ardour Youtube Channel is here

ardour.org is pleased to announce a new youtube channel focused on videos about Ardour.

We decided to support Tobiasz “unfa” Karon in making some new videos, based on some of the work he has done in other contexts (both online and at meetings). unfa’s first video won’t be particularly useful for new or existing users, but if you’re looking for a “promotional video” that describes what Ardour is and what it can do, this may be the right thing to point people at.

In the near-term future, unfa will be back with some tutorial videos, so please consider subscribing to the channel.

Thanks to unfa for this opening video, and we look forward to more. If people have particular areas that they’d like to see covered, mention it in the comments here (or on the YT channel).

23 Likes

Super video! Looks impressively! Good luck to Unfa! Thanks Paul!

Very good introductory video.
Unfa’s videos first convinced me to try Ardour and then have been invaluable for learning to use the program better. I’m already subscribed and waiting for more.

Great idea! And the first video is a super cool overview of Ardour’s possibilities, “unfa-style” :smiley:

I watched the video and noticed a short bit about Ardour’s ability to work with multiple “takes” using playlists. The brief mention made me wonder if this would be useful for testing different edits of dialogue composed from multiple takes of the same lines. I consulted the Ardour manual and can’t really determine from that description if it would.

What I would like to do is pull individual lines from multiple takes of dialogue and assemble the best reads into the final product. A lot of this involves swapping in alternate takes, listening repeatedly, and evaluating the inflection / delivery / etc. to find “the best”.

Currently I create a separate track for each take, divide the takes into sentences/phrases, align them vertically, and then swap them in and out of the test track, listening to the segment of audio in context, and accumulating the final selections as I go.

Might playlists expedite this process? If so, any suggestions for videos that demonstrate this?

1 Like

Great first video, very professional.

Idea for the channel: People could present use cases, teasing also with great music. I regularly record live via a Soundcraft Impact console and mix down the result in Ardour, putting stuff together with video. (I posted some to the “Made with Ardour” category here.) Just an idea…

@icewater: Playlists are mutually exclusive. On a given track you can only have one at any given time. They’re not useful for comping different takes. Stacked-layers view mode of a single track is probably easiest.

I don’t know if @unfa takes requests for videos at this point in time. I think he has the first few tutorials planned out, but he may respond here.

Meanwhile you may want to to look at some of the Harrison/Mixbus tutorials for a comping workflow: e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLmHPtUiU5Y - the editor in Ardour and Mixbus is the same and most of their tutorials also apply to Ardour5.

3 Likes

I like that unfa didn’t even make a tutorial video and yet I learned that I can change the tempo and meter throughout a project… after using this for 3 years facepalm.

1 Like

That is really cool! I think having some professional grade videos will help to increase the userbase and will put more attention to the project in general!

May be there’s some sense to make a detailed video about the MIDI editing lack (troubles with: neighboring notes, notes near boundaries of regions, copying and dragging automation points etc/). I think many people may receive the wrong expectations watching so good presentation at the beginning and find unknown troubles with MIDI editing and automation after. To be honest - is not to be bad. Such step will not intimidate the people, but will get the respect (in my opinion). Also (again in my opinion) such unusual presentation of the weak sides will be diametrically opposite to the stupid spam style like everybody hates in advertising videos.

1 Like

For example, I’ve answered recently about some MIDI possibilities and warned a man about some bug and made a link to the bug-tracker. I think it’s the better way, than to answer like there’re no problems:

1 Like

BUT :slight_smile: Ardour - is goood!!///

Probably not, since this is likely going to change. The Internet is already overflowing with outdated information.

IMHO it think makes more sense to focus on documenting workflow that works reliably and is not likely to change anytime soon.
I expect Ardour might catch up with MIDI, sooner than you can produce those videos :slight_smile:

PS. As for the Ardour’s MIDI works and related bugs, bug reports and discussion on the bug-tracker is a lot more valuable. A proper Video takes too much time to produce and also to watch. I can’t speak for other developers but I don’t usually watch any bug videos at all. In most cases a step by step recipe is more helpful.

Ok! :slight_smile: Let’s the bugs live in the underground! May be you’re right, x42!

I’d just like to shear my experience and think like an usual user (an example of an usual user).

Just the words “Fully featured DAW!” at the beginning of the video - makes personally me (don’t know about others) expecting MIDI editing like in Cubase SL at least (but even today Ardour has no such polished stable working today with midi editing like Cubase had in about 2009 year). If I didn’t know the Ardour’s limitations - I could have such expectations.

May be another example about Linux can help me to explain. When I started to study Inkscape, I tried to understand what it can really do. I know Corel Draw well in some applied tasks (really have a great skill). BUT I’ve spent so much time to know every weak thing about Inkscape, BECAUSE so much linux people told only about some good features, but not about the reality. Thus I hate Linux and love simultaneously :slight_smile: Some people consider themselves knowing and professionals. They call something “great” and “professional”. I need to check such “great features”, and after a long forums and questions I begin to understand - that people know nothing about the real production and they simply waste my time. I think my hate is not groundless.

I could escape “wrong expectations” if I could know the reality about Inkscape. I do love it and my love can’t disappear if I know the limitations. Sorry if my words are looking not good.

I hope you guys know what are you sending to the world. Why a man needs colored cover (and must tell on my test — the cover turned out really cool) if he really needs a simply good clarity.

I often asked Paul about the possibilities — and he told me clear answers (Thanks him! :))
I think Linux doesn’t need to compete with windows. Simply people need to know what it can do and can not do yet.
But some «loud words» can attract people who are really tempted in MIDI stuff and they will begin to «hate&love Linux» :slight_smile:

But it’s only my stupid thoughts :))/ Do the best like you like!

Great idea Paul,good work all staff Ardour :grinning:

I don’t understand what exactly you’re trying to achieve. I don’t want to attack you because I think you’re trying to help improve a piece of software that you’re invested in and I think we can all appreciate that. But with that said, Robin already pointed out a more effective and more accepted way of actually accomplishing that. I have been heavy into synthesizers for the last year now, but I usually use hardware sequencers and CV in/outs to handle any sort of production work and usually do nothing more than use Ardour for tracking the actual audio outs of the synths and maybe some fader and panning automation. So forget me and my simplistic ways… I just watched unfa’s second video on this channel and I can’t even imagine what else you would expect out of the MIDI capabilities of this DAW. But again, I’m simplistic with this electronic stuff. It just seems like you have aired these same grievances, without valuable effect, on a few threads. Have you actually filed any bug reports as recommended? Better yet, have you tried your hardest to create within the limitations presented by the software you are using? Because in the end, THAT is the measure of an artist. unfa’s track in this new video is pretty radical. It seems to me he dealt with what was presented before him and created something most excellent instead of focusing on what isn’t possible and demanding the attention and concern of everyone else on whatever alleged problem(s).

AND, as Robin has already said here and on at least one other thread when you have brought up Ardour’s inadequacies with respect to MIDI functionality, a lot of these problems are getting fixed for 6.0. So I really don’t understand the purpose of constantly bringing these problems up. Do you believe that 6.0 is going to come out faster if we keep posting about the same problems in the forums?

sadly this is not true. It was originally our plan to have 6.0 contain the work I did last year on musical time representation. Alas, this is not going to happen unless we decided to wait many more months to release 6.0. The next release will contain some fixes for a few details of MIDI, but it will not address the problems caused by the way time is represented (that will come in the next major release, which we hope will happen much faster than the 5-to-6 transition).

1 Like

Hi, drsaamah! First of all - thanks for the dialog! :slight_smile: I think it’s good chance of trying to find the understanding.

Yes you’re right - I’m trying to help to improve the software as I can (reporting bugs to the bug-tracker for example – you can find me there under the name “cooltehno_bugs”), but I didn’t invested anything in Ardour, because I’ve no possibility to pay via Pay-Pal :)). I use Ardour through KXStudio (thanks to people like FalkTX and all the Linux community, and special to Paul for open source, that FalkTX can use as far as he wants).

May be my words are looking not good, because I don’t speak English much (this is not my native). I suppose I talk too straight and pretentious. Sorry, if so. One man called me here in IRC “pretentious bastard” (good name for a rock band :slight_smile: sounds good))) and perhaps he is right partially – I like to importune to every small change with too much attention. Who knows…

One other reason of my strange words is my habit to be making work dandled by Cubase and other polished Windows software (in different areas). When I tried to record my first midi drum part in Ardour through the loop playing – I had got rather frustrated. But Robin and Paul told me how to solve that task. If you know how to record such midi drum loops in Cubase (and also have a habit) – you should be little sad about the Ardour’s way to do this task.))) Or for example if you will make few midi parts with a lot of automation tracks and after will want to drag them together somewhere in session - you’ll get in troubles. Some Ableton people could think that Ardour has the same possibilities in midi and automation looking to Unfa’s presentation, but they don’t know how it really works. I also make some dancing style stuff in Ardour, because I like it :)/ but I know what kind of efforts I need to spend :)… Ardour is not an Ableton (words of Paul in one of his posts)

I’m not trying to assault to Ardour. It’s the best DAW in Linux today (in my opinion). Also I can just install it for free or buy only for 1$. It has super possibilities in routing (for me), which I didn’t find in Cubase (polished windows program)!! Also it supports .lv2 plugins (super pumped commercial Bitwig – doesn’t, may be I’m mistaken and Tracktion also). For me – Ardour – is the best choice in Linux today.

But if we want to be honest it has some lacks in some areas (midi - which I really tested in my opinion). I don’t want to drag the discussion to negative value here, if you’d like some confirmation to my words about midi – just click on my account here (in forum) and look to my questions and answers. From there you’ll also find my respect to Paul&team.

About “the measure of an artist” (hope I got what you are saying) - I also have the same position :). We don’t need to have supercomplex tools, some men can play only one string or plastic bottle… I’m playing with the dance music in Ardour In such style (and in Linux at all). I know, that I could buy Live and begin to make a cool stuff. But the easy ways are not for radical punks :slight_smile:

My position is to use what we have today with pleasure (I have for free) and make something. But we can speak freely about lacking of possibilities in comparing with other DAWs. The world of Windows is older – it’s the fact. It’s strong and large. The majority of people is working in windows – also the fact. The comparisons are inevitable. The good quality video (I’d like to mark again – the Unfa’s presentation videos are cool for me, as far as I’m developed and tempted) will attract the windows people. They will be not so pleased to know “some marvelous” Linux limitations. But if they will know what to expect – the intelligent part of them will understand and have a good attitude to the people who had gave them an explanation.

I’ve just thought about the idea about the “trouble video” again - perhaps it’s really not so good. That’s why I’m writing here (not in YouTube). It was just a thought. May be my words will give some reason for reflection. May be not the video about some lack of, but something different….

In confirmation of my good attitude – Good luck and mood to Paul, Robin and developers! Thank you very much for your cool work and talent!