Ardour 6.0 is released

A big thank you to the entire team for making Ardour 6 happen! Under macOS, I am especially impressed by the increased stability compared to the nightlies, even the most recent ones before the official release. The new version is so much fun to use!

3 Likes

Thank you for the release and all the hard work put in it !

I do like to give a fair warning though; if you decide to delete the config folder - as suggested in OP - and if you use custom tags for your plugins; make sure to backup the plugin_metadata/plugin_tags file first :slight_smile:

Luckily I had a backup lying around :sweat_smile:

Iā€™ve been using Ardour 5.12.0 64 bitā€¦
I donā€™t understand exactly what you mean if we want to upgrade to 6.0, then ā€œā€¦ you should probably remove the existing preferencesā€¦ā€
And, can I use my old Ardour sessions (ver. 5 and ver. 4) or do I need to start from scratch?
~ Leo Newburn
leo.newburn3@gmail.com

You only have to remove Ardour 6 settings directory if you have installed a pre-release version of Ardour 6 (nightly build). If you didnā€™t do that, you donā€™t have to worry about that, and can install and run Ardour 6 as usual.

Finally, you can use your sessions from versions 4 and 5 in Ardour 6.

1 Like

Congratulations!

Iā€™ve made a video about this release yesterday:

7 Likes

I have always used Hydrogen for drums and Rosegarden MIDI for playing bass and keyboard (ZubAddzynā€¦) and had trouble making that work in Ardour 5 using JACK which made my projects to grind to a halt.
At first i couldnā€™t make it work in Ardour 6 either.
I feared that JACK had been abandoned, so that Ardour had turned into a sort of introvert stand-alone program, not caring about the rest of the world ā€¦
Thank God (or maybe rather Paul and his team) this is not the case. I found out how to configure Ardour 6 - JACK runs fine as the great integrater, and everything plays just fine!

Just a tiny, tiny aspect of Ardour - but very important to me.

I have done the initial tests on a Lenovo T500 with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

It is great to see that Ardour is alive and kicking more than ever!

Congratulations!

@unfa: re 10:30 in the video. Direct recording to FLAC is targeted at podcasters. They usually have only a handful of tracks, but often hour long sessions. Some tracks record 3-4 hours of silence (eg. guest microphones). FLAC is awesome for that.

You can just record the whole thing and silence doesnā€™t need extra disk-space (assuming you have a gated input that produces silence which most podasters have to reduce overall noise).

5 Likes

I think Iā€™m going to start using FLAC for sample library recording too.

With the MIDI improvements in A6 you should at least in theory be able to ditch Hydrogen and Rosegarden and use A6 exclusively.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure you are right - I will look into this later - how to move drumkits from Hydrogen to Ardour and so on - it is just so nice to be able to use the usual tolls - you know new tricks and old dogs ā€¦ :slight_smile:

This plug is nice but i had troubles with the gui on too large kits, sadly

Thanks a lot! Downloaded, installed on latest UbuntuStudio 20, loaded current project: Runs out of the box, looks good, no issues so far!

I exactly did this a while ago, already with 5.12. Iā€™m using mainly x42 avldrums (Red Zeppelin & Black Pearl) for my drum parts cause I like the flexible way of mixing the voices somehow like a ā€œrealā€ drum kit.
Can easily do temp changes and all this things now in one user interface. no double data base, copying and editing of drum pattern I found easier in A than in HG, (Yes, did it the old way in earlier days myself)

Iā€™m planning to create some custom kits with drumgizmo which also gives me flexible mixing of the voices. (but I do not want to use the existing monster GB kits; already did a POC with some waves)

Hello.
Iā€™m a total noob here. Iā€™ve just started a (modest) subscription and downloaded V6 but itā€™s opened in Japanese. V5 was fine. An English language install but Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™m missing something here?

Thanks in advance

What OS are you running Ardour on?

You can disable translations in Preferences > General > Translations ā€“ if you can manage to find that in Japanese :wink: Otherwise you can create an empty file .translate in the config folder to disable translations.

Hi.
Sorry. Iā€™m on OSX

Exellent. That did it. I thought I was going to have to learn Japanese alongside learning Ardour.
Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

After the release, we noticed that if you have two languages set in macOS preferences, and the primary one is English but not English (US), then Ardour will select the second language as your intended preference.

We have subsequently fixed the code for this, and the nightlies will soon have more sane behavior (as well as the next release).

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone who made this happen! I am looking forward to trying it out this weekend!