Ardour 6.0 is released

Ardour 6.0 is now released. Sorry for the wait!

You can download it from http://ardour.org/download

(If you download 6.0 for Linux before about 16:30 UTC on May 24th, you should probably download again, because we mistakenly released the wrong version of the build)

See what’s new at http://ardour.org/whatsnew.html

We hope to return to bi-monthly releases going forward, and there’s a lot of stuff to do!

WARNING

If you previously used one of the pre-release versions of 6.0 (basically, any version of the code since 5.12 was released) and are now trying the release, you should probably remove the existing preferences. We’ve already had one bug report that was caused by having a mid-development version of the preferences still around.

Linux: ~/.config/ardour6
macOS: ~/Library/Preferences/Ardour6
Windows; %localappdata%\Ardour6

Very recent versions of these folders will not cause problems, but this is just a warning since I’m sure there will some other issues arising from this sort of thing.

41 Likes

When I pay for Mac OS do I also need to pay for a Linux version.?

No, you can use your invoice ID (in the email PayPal will send you) to obtain versions for other (or the same) platform.

Just reading the improvements list is joyfully overwhelming. Great work, many thanks.

3 Likes

The release notes are just massive. Thank you so much to everyone who made this happen, especially Paul and Robin. It’s wonderful to see that Ardour took another large step forward. :smile:

3 Likes

Is 6.0 really built with gcc4 or am I doing something wrong here ? I get this warning when installing on (Manjaro xfce):

sudo ./Ardour-6.0.0-x86_64.run
Verifying archive integrity… All good.
Uncompressing Ardour…

Welcome to the Ardour installer

Ardour will be installed for user mika in /opt

Architecture is x86_64
Checking for required disk space

WARNING: GCC4/5 libstdc++ ABI Mismatch

Ardour was compiled with gcc4, your system uses a newer version of the
standard c++ library. Plugins on your system may not load or plugin-UIs
may cause crashes.

Continue anyway? [y/n]:

Such a great new! Thanks ardour team.

1 Like

Cheers to the Ardour team!!!

Congrats team! :slight_smile: The best music making software on linux just got a lot better.

WooHoo! Well done!!!

I had the same question…

Thats awesome, Im on it! this is so cool! new gadgets and releases makes me happy, thank you for awesomeness! :slight_smile:

Many thanks to Paul and the whole team for this. Your hard work is greatly appreciated!

Same warning on Debian 10…
That’s unusual, normally Debian libs are too old :joy:

If you go to the nightly builds page you can download a version compiled with GCC5 (nightly builds are not necessarily stable)

I’ve had the same warning, and answer yes. Tests are ok with a-compressor and a-reverb. Sorry I can’t tell for VSTs plugins…

Congrats to all the team and thank you all!

Just 2 questions :

1. Does anybody have an idea of the number of devs for a commercial product of that kind?
  2. (more important)) Is there an online party somewhere to celebrate this event?

Have fun, folks, and thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

There was an error in the release process. We released the gcc4 build, not the gcc5 one. A new packaging is underway, and the files will be updated.

You will need to download again.

Extremely sorry about this - this release process is a bit different to previous ones because we decided to stop packaging the gcc4 version (it remains available on nightly.ardour.org). I didn’t verify the modified release process to ensure that it grabbed the right one.

I will post an announcement here when the new packages are available.

3 Likes

No problem Paul, I guess rc2.11 is alright to use?