Ardour 6.0 is released

Thank you!
Also, is it ok -or even suggested- to leave the previous version when I install the new one?

It is OK, you can also always uninstall it later.

Also if you’re working on a session, you may want to finish the project in Ardour5. Likewise if you need to re-export an old session and want to be 100% sure that it is exactly the same, best uses the version that you’ve created the session with.

1 Like

Got this after a distro update today. The UI immediately looked nicer and some of the MIDI annoyance I sometimes ran into was gone. I always felt guilty pressing the “remind me later” button during export but this just made me a subscriber. Thank you for this amazing free software.

1 Like

Hi, thank you for new ardour release. I have one question and one advice:

Advice: if there is anyone like me who wants to try wet recording and doesn’t know how: right click in track’s plugins region, go to Disk-I/O and choose Custom, then put your plugins before recorder

Question: with those internal improvements, how far is now Ardour from live-looping capabilities? If it’s possible even in this version, what’s needed to do? What’s in my mind is having several tracks (midi or audio) and be able to set up loop region, press play to start looping, press record button on track and have stuff recorded to this track on next loop round (and stop recording at the end of the loop region). I tried it but wasn’t successful, but maybe I did it wrongly.

Thank you for reply.

1 Like

The changes that were done as part of the road to 6.0 do nothing to bring Ardour closer to “live looping” capabilities.

This was a mystery to me also given I expected to see the “recorder” and “player” by default given the screenshot on the version 6 release page. It was only by clicking around randomly that I was able to figure it out! I suppose it makes sense to be hidden given the majority (?) of users would want dry recording.

Isn’t cue monitoring a small step into that direction? Or maybe it wasn’t intended as that, but at least you can’t do live looping without it, right? Btw is there currently any plan with live looping in ardour? I was even considering sponsoring development of that feature - or rather cosponsoring (i found other people asking about this feature, who could be interested too), as that will probably take lot of development and hence money - would it be a way to go? If yes, how much time and money would it take? I already tried other options (like lmms, giada, seq24, qtractor, non sequencer - but all of them have their issues - I also need to send midi cc to hardware looper pedal, which most of them don’t support). And since I like ardour (am using it from time to time to record stuff) i would be interested to support development of this feature in ardour if it is in my financial possibilities. If this is better to discus in separate topic, feel free to move it (or I can).

Hello, the new features look cool. But unfortunately the current release crashes during export. It’s not usable for me :frowning: Is there anything I can do to support bug fixing?

@keinze

If you could, I would suggest reading through that, but creating an account on Mantis (tracker.ardour.org), reporting the crash and how it can be reproduced, ideally with a small example session. Make sure to include details on your operating system etc. And of course make sure you do your testing with a version from this website.

Seablade

EDIT: Updated link with a more up to date article.

I’ve created ticket 0008168 :slight_smile:

Ah, that’s interesting! Thanks for the explanation!

After trying out and collecting (so far great) experience with Ardour 6, a small question: Is it safe to assume that the new foldback monitoring buses are always branched off right before the channel faders? Is there a way to set this position?

Something happen to the download page?

No download starts at all when clicking the penguin.

Next step after that…

Weird. No go on my end.
clicking the penguin only makes firefox scroll upwards a bit and nothing…

Do you perhaps have a Javascript blocker add-on enabled?

Nope.

I’ll try from a different computer. Guess I broke this system’s browser somehow.

Edit:
Yup, download works like a charm from another laptop. Nevermind…

Felt the same way reading through it! Can’t wait to get it installed and try it out.

I’m getting this message when I try to open one of my older Ardour projects in version 6. Any advice?

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 10.03.13 PM

I’m using a 2013 iMac 64 bit config. No crashes when starting Core Audio.