Vertical scrollbar in editor window

A simple tip:
it would be very (very) useful to introduce a vertical scrollbar in the Editor Window, to be able to “slip” quickly from one track to another.
In projects with many tracks, the lack of a vertical scrollbar is sorely felt.
A narrow vertical bar doesn’t take up too much space.
Thank you,

a.

1 Like

Would that be handier than the mouse-wheel which is the current way to do this ?

Yes. Open a long wikipedia article and scroll to the bottom and back to the top using the scroll wheel. Now do that 100 times.

Also not all mice have scroll wheels.

It’s also possible to use the page up/down keys. Again not all keyboards have this though and it’s not as quick as being able to jump to a specific point using a scrollbar.

1. for the wikipedia article, if I wanted to get to the bottom, I’d press “End”, not scroll or page down

2. Ardour does assume that you have a 3 button mouse with a scroll wheel. The program is usable without the scroll wheel, but less so - we are conscious of this design choice, and it’s not going away.

3. Sensible scroll wheels have latch mechanisms that can be disengaged. With my logitech mx master, I can disable the latch and scroll down a VERY long way with maybe two finger movements. Much faster and more ergonomic than moving over to a non-Fitt’s-Law anchored scrollbar and trying to move it where I want it.

I’m not saying that this is an ironclad case against a scrollbar, but it’s a bit of one.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.