Upgrade Ardour5 to Ardour6 on UbuntuStudio

How to upgrade Ardour5 to Ardour6 in UbuntuStudio 20.04.1 TLS
This will upgrade using the UbuntuStudio ardour-backports
And will update only Ardour, not all the packages of UbuntuStudio.

How to install Ardour6 on UbuntuStudio (without making a complete upgrade of all packages)
Install only one package Ubuntu
This is for those using Ardour5 that want to upgrade to Ardour6

THIS IS VALID TODAY 07 May 2021 (maybe in your time, or if you are on Mars, this could not work, ask Elon Musk)

DON’T RUN COMMANDS WITHOUT READING FIRST, IS YOUR RESPONSABILITY TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
As stated by Ardour Team they don’t endorse, support or recommend many of the build outside the Ardour builds, that in the end are the more stable and supported at the same time in case you have problems (for a few bucks per month you support them, have an official and easy to run Ardour version, and have support from the creators, not bad). So if you can go that way or donate, you will feel great and have more luck in your life, it’s call good karma.

Objective: Install Ardour6 in UbuntuStudio from the ardour-backports repository, install only one package in Ubuntu

(you can revert this if you want to come back to Ardour5 later, see at the end of this text)

** First step uninstall Ardour5
(make backups of everything you would need, and remember,once you use files created by Ardour5 on Ardour6, you won’t be able to open them in Ardour5 anymore, make a backup of those projects in a safe place)

sudo apt-get remove ardour

** Then you have to load the new repository for Ardour6 (because UbuntuStudio will not put Ardour6 on main repository yet)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntustudio-ppa/ardour-backports -y

** Then you have to update (this won’t upgrade your system just update package list of repositories)

sudo apt-get update

** Then you have to install Ardour6 in this case Ardour6.6
But as you want to avoid upgrading everything, you have to find the exact name of the new repository for Ardour6 to put it on the other command below:

sudo apt-cache policy ardour

(This will show you a list of available repositories for Ardour)

Find the name of the repository for Ardour6 in my case (your should be similar and say 1:6…in front) looks like this:

1:6.5.0+ds0-1~ubuntu20.04.1~ppa1

** Now put that, inside the next command to install that version, from that repository:

sudo apt-get install ardour=1:6.5.0+ds0-1~ubuntu20.04.1~ppa1

DONE

IMPORTANT: When you first open Ardour6, it will find your old config files from Ardour5.
Choose NO if you don’t want to keep them, and Ardour6 will install the new config files, just in case make a backup, i wouldn’t use old config files i didn’t.

DONE!!!

You have installed Ardour6 from the ardour-backports repository without upgrading everything, just Ardour, and you have Ardour6 running.

Possible problems is having old packages that you should upgrade, but that’s another story, if you feel that would be the case make a complete upgrade like:
sudo apt-get upgrade

that will upgrade all packages that must be upgraded on your system

Enjoy!

TROUBLES? WE ALL HAVE TROUBLES…keep calm first. Then.

First ask Google.

If you run into troubles with Ardour (if it was installed through the build of Ardour and not this way), you can find answers here (Give thanks to Paul Davis, Gareus and Team for their work) I REPEAT DON’T ASK FOR SUPPORT IF YOU DON’T INSTALL THE OFFICIAL BUILD DOWNLOADED HERE AT ARDOUR.ORG:
You can find anyway some answers here:
Installation & Configuration - Ardour

If you run into troubles with UbuntuStudio (and not with Ardour) you can find answers here:
https://ubuntustudio.org/support/
(You can also give thanks and donate to UbuntuStudio developers)
https://ubuntustudio.org/contribute/

If you want to get in touch with other artists making music with linux you can go here (give thanks to the love you have received in your life):
https://linuxmusicians.com/

If you have problems in general, in your life, talk to a friend, if in person much better, with mask or diving suit, but in person and avoid AI and Wind…s, they work for the masters of the world.

the best for you

Mica

PS: To revert all this and have version 5 again, you have to uninstall Ardour6, and just install Ardour, this will install Ardour5 again (if Ardour6 was not put in main repository, that will happen sometime in the future).
sudo apt-get remove ardour
sudo apt-get install ardour

If somebody can add, correct, or help in error will be welcomed, as i’m just trying to help with the little i know.

1 Like

Or
1 : Pay a few, or lots of, bucks to download the official binary.
2 : Run the installer
3 : Profit!

Using this alternative also leaves ardour5 installed, if you find that you need it for some reason.

You are right. If you have money, paying for every software you use, is great, and most of the times (not always) the most comfortable way to achieve production goals.

But there are people playing, making a hobby, learning, making things for their communities, using free software, without free software those things would not exist.

Creators of free software should apply a “per country” or “per economical situation basis”, but that’s not easy, because in poor countries there is poor people and in rich countries there is poor people too.

For people without the possibility of paying, that wants to upgrade from Ardour5 to 6 in UbuntuStudio, the above option fits.

We must remember our reality is not the reality of others, for some people 5bucks is the food of the day, we are a complete family living with 10 bucks per day, to others that’s the snack, and for others much less…paying Ardour, paying Jack, paying UbuntuStudio, paying plugins, paying everything for some people is possible, to others not possible. This is why i’m trying to collaborate with Ardour and other software developers, by giving ideas, testing and reporting bugs, because i can’t pay.

There are lots of great things being done through free software, maybe what we could analyze, is that it could be free for people in hard economical situation, but that’s hard to know and tell, you could be in several economical troubles, who knows.

Government should put money for Free Software, but the Leader of the World today is the creator of the WINDOVIRUS so we are not lucky about that…

While I can understand your thinking and feel similar about some aspects, I think the way Ardour handles the monetary aspect is really fair: you can decide yourself about the amount you donate, just for the reasons you name, income differs massively around the world and even inside a country.

For years I’ve been working as a freelancer with very few income, and because I couldn’t afford subscription or donations for “official” binary package, I learned to self compile ardour long ago… but had this urge to contribute in a way, so I started maintaining german translation, supporting new users on IRC and forum, doing artwork (the SAE version canvas background) and similar.

Later when I had a bit of money available now and then, I bought Mixbus, Mixbus32C and some Harrison plugins, all at bargain offers but still spent several hundreds over the years, without even using it for any profit except some soundtrack work now and then… and finally found out that Harrison count me as contributor and would have given me all this for free… but I don’t regret a bit, I’m happy to have supported this great project. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The same reason why i’m here, trying to help. But when the tool has problems that doesn’t let you to go ahead, you think in going away, or trying to help with those problems, that if are not yours, are problems of many people.

Ardour as many other projects seems to have the same problem, progammers should not be taking care of usability, and communication with the public. But that’s another stuff, it’s their product, we just watch things happening, i bet a lot of things that happens in Ardour are not happening in Mixbus, there must be someone over there taking care of usability and communication with the public, else that will be a problem for the future, as other software is coming, with included AI and other stuff, and Ardour is on serious risk, when they respond “yes, that is a bug, but you can solve it like this, put your hand out of the window, wave and it will work”… you know, i’m being funny, but in the end, that’s not how things must be done, and programmers were never good with communication, nor usability.

But i will do my best to help, as i love Ardour, i don’t love Paul or Gareus, i appreciate them and i’m in debt with them, and here i am trying to pay helping in transfering my user problems from the UXUI side.

the rest is in their hands, we love the software you have made with the help of people, but as in the school, you can do better

the best

Mica

Invoking knowledge that you don’t have about the development process can be dangerous.

It would certainly be great if we had a UX expert helping Ardour along. It would be good for productivity if there were people other than myself or Robin could deal with all the user-facing communication.

But to say that “programmers were never good with communication, nor usability” or “[ … ] in Mixbus, there must be someone over there taking care of usability and communication with the public” is making a couple of claims that you’re not really in a position to make.

Usability with DAWs and other creative software is a much harder problem to crack than usability with e.g. office applications. For the latter, because the goals are typically fairly constrained, it’s reasonable to constrain the workflow options and simply require that people learn how the software works.

With creative tools, we run into “but I want to work this way” a lot, and much of the time, the desire is legitimate. Take the example of your desire for “the whole mixer inside the editor”. I would personally say that this is a workflow error, and that you should not want to work like this. I can give you lots of reasons why. But you want to work this way, and there are already examples of other applications that do this, which you may (or may not) have tried, and so you feel justified in your desire. Which one of is right? Who will make decision which one of is right?

Where UX problems concern discoverability, consistency and completeness, it’s almost always going to be valuable to have UX insight helping to shape things. But in creative software, there are lot of opinions about UX which simply come down to workflow preferences. One user wants to work like this, another user wants to work like that. Or one user does a lot of this, another does a lot of that, and both want their main workflow streamlined even though they conflict with each other. UX expertise isn’t relevant at resolving these sorts of tensions.

2 Likes

I’m responding just to see if i can be of any help in your vision about usability, for the good of Ardour and not for the good of being right, else i would not respond, to your consideration that you don’t need or that is not possible for a UX/UI expert help in the usability problems you are facing, just because he or she will not be in knowdlege of the tech possibilities of changes, or can’t make happy all the people in everything.

If that were the case, i wouldn’t be in front right now of a software (i will not mention which one is) that have solved many of the problems i feel and others feel are important about usability, different approach of course, and different business model, but this development shows that things can be done better giving free software too.

The MIDI of Ardour side, made me feel i was not able to make music, the hangups using third party software like Carla, or even using AirWindows plugins or Calf inside Carla, showed me there were some problems with the integrity, i understand you worked hard on that side, but everything could crash, except Ardour, because when everything crash, Ardour says “i don’t know you” that in the tech side must be possible, and right now we are always working with fear of hangups, if we ask Ardour to let’s say disconnect something like, Delete this Insert, and if it is linked with some external source, END of session abruptly, so this shows there was there a problem with integrity, you must first turn OFF the insert and then delete that insert, that way no hungups and so on… so a usability girl or guy, would help in much more than telling you that in the begining of the program there is a DEAD END that makes people keep watching without knowing how to go ahead, my father told me “How do i have to go ahead, what happened?”, stopping and starting again the engine ALSA, solved the problem, but that’s not good, and that’s is just a BFButton to start the program just in case you didn’t solve every user case, i think you have the obligation with yourself, to take much more in consideration the problems in a statistical level i understand, but no voting for new ideas, no voting for bugs and not asking people to participate in this things, you are asking donation, what could be better than asking people “hey helps us get better” so in the end you go and make a better MIXBUS or sell more Ardour installs, there is a structural problem in your UX/UI and Communication side, that if you address you can eat the other ones that are coming with an amazing care for usability and user cases.

1. Voting ideas
  2. Voting bugs and asking openly users to participate in bug reporting through something in the same program, that doesn’t make you feel like “they are stealing my data”, you know something like "You are big part of the sucess of Ardour, please help us sending a bug report whenever you have any usability or technical issue. We will put that in the public eye, and if people votes for this we will solve faster for all of us. Thank you!
  3. You or Gareus shouldn’t be exposing yourself, people today is very emotional, you know, new era, we are daughters and sons of don’t talk to me rude, you are programmers and with some years in the back, you should leave communication in the hands of some cute and intelligent girl, and pay more for image, good communication and understanding of the final user needs.

You are under big pressure i guess, big companies harrasing little ones, people not sending you money or buying the install binaries as much as you would like, but believe me, if you don’t turn the page of the past and start again from scratch with a new vision, the other ones will eat you soon, it’s your time to change things i thin you can do it, maybe MIXBUS is that way, but Ardour has already the user base, and the mark we love, and you should be more user oriented and less “you don’t know how to use this” or “we can’t make you happy at the same time that we make happy others”, just because as an example you can’t put a button in the begining? just because you or some pro ones, think the 90% of users are wrong and should learn how to do it well? Learning curve could kill Ardour, i did it, we did it at home, but as i said, if i’m here (BELIEVE ME) is because i feel being wrong or not, but i’m here because i feel you are in danger for the changes you have made with DSP, for some bugs with LoopRecording, for some bugs of usability, some workflow things, how can it be that the way of recording vocals, the workflow for that wasn’t solve for years??? is that people didn’t use Ardour to record vocals? if that would been solved in the past maybe that people would be with you and not with other software, i know people that went away because of that bad workflow…and specially for that other software PRO and NON PRO that is taking an approach much more user based, than funcionality based or programmer vision based, or super pro based.

Ardour needs you Paul, each time you don’t try to understand the frustration of an user that writes so much meanwhile he or she can be having fun or doing something else, you forget we do this for you, and for Ardour, at our level, with our little knowdlege we are trying to give love to Ardour, which in the end is love for you and Gareus and Team, you all can’t make us feel we are being lazy, we are the users, not slaves of the software, being like this we can go whenever we want, but we don’t want and you don’t want that i guess.

You have problems above you, and problems below, people fighting for the pro users (with much better approach) and people fighting for your non pro users (with much better approach), but you are not being able to see it, because you are doing to much “on your own”.

I will do my little thing, sending the things i think must be fixed or doesn’t work properly, or usability problems, but try to think in this as business, and try people with much more love, and patience, even when you are now maybe tired of all of us, and with personal problems as we all are.

Thanks for this software, you have changed for good the lives of millions of people, and you deserve this, someone that talks to you sincere, thinking in your good and the good of Ardour, over my own good that would be using, then discard and user other solutions instead, payed users should be able to ask features, but the respect for users sending reports, bugs, or usability (or what they think are) problems, is another stuff… sincerity has nothing to do with paying more or less, like appreciation, people that pays maybe thinks that when you are not good anymore they will pay someone else, they can do that…

the best for you, with love, real and sincere love for your work and time, and effort, that’s why i’m spending my time here now, i came to the underworld because something is going wrong up there, else i wouldn’t come here to write all this, i didn’t do it in 2 years, there must be a reason…

For someone who has only just started participating publicly in the project, I think it would benefit you (and us) if you asked more questions before coming up with recommendations based on how you imagine things work.

If I wrote a daily blog about how the Ardour community, development and so forth worked, maybe someone in your position would not have as many misconceptions as this reply contains. But I don’t do that, because I think my time is generally better spent working on the software itself. You joined the ardour.org discourse just a few days ago, and while we absolutely welcome your ideas and participation, I think it is not unreasonable to ask you to ask questions first, rather than telling us about how you think our process, community and software actually works.

I appreciate your answer, i will keep trying to help, as for today i can’t recommend Ardour, in this new version and for vocal recording workflow, i brought, as many of us did, lots of people to Ardour, as we love it, each time we had the opportunity we put people in the Ubuntu Debian or Free Software path, but today i stopped recommending Ardour and that is why i’m here, and because things were relatively fine i didn’t had the need to come here and spend time trying to tell you something is going wrong…, i will keep trying to help transmiting things without disturbing, and trying to avoid going away, but as for the voice recording side i have started to use another software and it was like when a girl goes with another guy because you know, at home not good sex, and that’s how i feel…, and that must be affecting other people, will them come to tell you that? the ones that lick boots? i don’t think so…

Sincerely in gratitude, and forgive me Paul for my behavior, i’m a very impulsive and emotional girl :wink: but i’m in deep gratitude with you and the team, and in love with Ardour…else i wouldn’t be here, i would be just having fun with the other software :stuck_out_tongue:

the best for you all

Mica
PS: Student with my father ill, we are being helped by “the system that kill us at the time that says will help” and can’t spend money even on the Internet, when i see they donate 10 bucks or spend 100bucks or 200bucks in a plugin!!!, in my house 10 bucks is the food for almost day and a half, i’m going to change that soon, but we are having bad times since some time ago and this is the only way i can help Ardour right now. Hope you have a great weekend, feel good, you made our lives better, and you know it!!! :smiley: thank you

You can load those plugins directly into Ardour, so there really isn’t any need to use Carla in this particular case.

The Calf plugins are also known to misbehave in different ways so use them wisely.

I don’t think you can’t pay for Jack and UbuntuStudio is a free download as well.

The preferred way to get Ardour is to pay whatever you feel you can afford to download the official release but there’s nothing stopping you from using the distro packages or downloading the source and compiling the latest git version for yourself.

If it wasn’t because of Carla i wasn’t using Ardour since almost the begining. Ardour crashed a lot with many plugins, and the lack of possibility to use bridge plugins from wine in an easy and stable way, pushed me to Carla, that was great and the new version works amazingly good, i don’t like what they did to NonTimeline and NonLinear software, but that’s another story they must have their reasons. From the user perspective Carla is a must when using Ardour with plugins without thinking in crashing.

Then as i said, if Ardour would stop behaving that way when we try to eliminate inserts going or coming from Carla or other software, tha would be great, but they don’t do STOP and then DELETE they just want to delete without stoping it, that’s for sure like that because program crashes all the time when you try to delete an insert that is ON (you would say turn it off first, come one…COME…ON), or Carla is closed or even Jack is closed, and the only one to crash FOR SURE is Ardour, hang up frozen, are they fighting in the background? sometimes i feel that could happen, like the case of Calf, epic how Calf made users of Ardour went away, incredible stuff… Carla is not crashing as per the new version and should be part of Ardour in fact…, and Jack is working fine, Carla says you don’t need JaCK, Ardour says you don’t need Carla, you know what? this is why BILLY won and will win, because of brothers fighting like little kids… using everything inside Ardour leads to crashes… 90% of the people of the world is in economical problems, for the other 10% Ardour is ok, as their machines maybe can handle what causes this problems i guess, Ardour is not comfortable to use with one monitor, and WE ALL use it in one way, but PRO people use it other way, until we learn we want to use Ardour, but Ardour says “you have to learn that you can’t be jumping to mixer all the time or changing things in other places of the mixer while being in the editors mode” WHAT??? i have put in Ardour at less 10 people, ALL OF THEM work like me, some of them have 2 monitors and big machines, and of course doesn’t experience my other problems, but others went to other software, i don’t like that even went to WINDSHIT, and i can’t handle it…

I have 12GB RAM, CPUs 4: Intel(R) Core™ i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz and Ardour crashes if i don’t use Carla to support the plugin usage, jack is not good when recording with mics, as it leads to some crackling some times, which should be happening, ALSA is better but you can’t handle midi as good as with jack or carla

Right now i’m trying NonTimeline with Carla and Ardour, to see if i can fix also my feelings on the new sound of Ardour but Ardour playback and exporting is also affected by this kind of LPF of the air in the voice mic, people with sensitive mics should felt this if it’s not my case only, which i’m investigating… the only thing i did was updating from 5.12 to 6.6, and was like puting a piece of cloth in front of the mic, i would swear is something coming from Harrison side, opaque sound like you want to be analog but you are not, the sound of Ardour 5.12 WAS AMAZING like that…

All of this things made me came here, because this could be affecting others, in few time i will have money, a lot of that thing, because of personal stuff, and i don’t feel like going with other software, cos i love free software, and i loved the way Ardour look and worked…

Sometimes i think responses over some opensource places are always like “it’s for sure your problem and you should not be doing what it’s obvious for us the pros”, but linux is not about being a juggler to make things work, is about simplicity, and they are fighting between them too, it’s like little mafias of the opensource, because opening source is nice, but when others do something better, it’s not so funny and there is also stupid people of course, in the end when Google comes like with Audacity and says “give me the users souls” they give the users to the power, so what’s the point of all of this?
You should keep all united, we should be united Filipe, the NonTimeline guy, and others like you, united, but when is not one, is the other, like kids…

Hope Ardour solves their problems, and ask help from the users, because people is not all like me, some people just uses something and then discard, and you are there thinking, why they went away?

I love Ardour, and this is why i’m a little bit like, upset…

Ardour 6 is bit transparent, just like 5.12 and pretty much every Ardour version.

If you can hear (or even measure) a difference you must have added some processing that causes it.

If Windows/Wine plugins can’t be used in an easy and stable way in Ardour on Linux I really don’t think that’s Ardour’s fault.
I also don’t know what Ardour did to “NonTimeline and NonLinear software”.

If your work depends on Windows plugins you probably shouldn’t be using Ardour on Linux. Use the Windows version instead.

Why do you think that “Ardour is not comfortable to use with one monitor”?
PRO people usually have at lest two monitors. Or one that’s wide enough to support both the Edit and Mix window.

If Ardour on Linux crashes when you’re using plugins made for an entirely different OS you really shouldn’t be blaming Ardour.
Try and load a LV2 plugin into ProTools on Windows and see what happens.

Jack “crackling” is probably due to xruns; but if you’re doing mic recordings you can set the Frames/Period all the way up to 4096, which should eliminate the chance of getting those.
You only need low F/P values if you’re recording software synths or software guitar amps.

Why do you think exporting a finished mix from Ardour is “affected by this kind of LPF of the air in the voice mic”?
Ardour export has nothing to do with your voice mic.

Paul and Robin will know this better than me but I really don’t think there should be a sonic difference between Ardour 5.12 and 6.x
Harrison Mixbus does introduce its own sonic aspect to the audio but that’s per design.
Ardour doesn’t even have a default EQ section so it’s completely transparent; if that’s what you want.

What does Google have to do with Audacity and when does it tell you to “give me the users souls” regarding Audacity?

What response do you get when you talk to the ProTools or Cubase people, for instance?
Do the actual developers of those programs reply to you?

I will be investigating to try to solve and send results if i find what happened, but at some point it’s strange because i only recorded without any external gear, only Ardour through ALSA over the same UMC202HD with everything exactly the same as hours before with 5.12

The wave was even like compressed, like there was a compressor running over the sound wave, and i can’t understand why, will try again several times with one and other and send report if this continues to happeh, as talking with UNFA he told me there were no problems, but i did nothing else but installing the Ardour6.6 version from UbuntuStudio repository, maybe that is the problem, but just in case there is something strange i will report if i can test and show the difference somehow.

thank you

You mean the hairy man screaming about Linux in the woods ? :slight_smile:

PS. Sorry could not resist.

2 Likes

About using Windshit i will make no comments, i use linux since i first touched a computer, the same people that uses Windshit, takes patented vacc…es

Ardour is not good with one monitor because is not taking in consideration the usability of people that wants everything at hand, WAVEFORM as an example, is a software that solved many of the problems of usability Ardour should solve time ago, as i love Ardour i would love to see that kind of approach, i think that maybe copying somehow part of their usability ideas, won’t hurt, if you put that on top of the other great features, you have something interesting, MIDI in ardour as an example, destroyed my creativity several times, and jumping to LMMS was terrible, i don’t like LMMS, now WAVEFORM made me feel sad. That approach is not patented, copy ideas from there, they are doing it well in the usability field for the majority of people, gui and funcionality should arrive to abstraction at some point, to allow modularity, that would allow some kind of “put things the way you want”…telling people in 2021 you can’t put something in a window inside the program, is showing the modularity approach was not taken, and Harrison will put that in a much worse situation, i hope not but the obligation to have those strips by default, my god.
The approach of Non Timeline was great, everything going separate ways, independent, like Non Mixer, each strip a separate thing in Carla!!! so amazing, with Ardour you have that kind of ELEPHANT in Carla or Patchage, you can’t manage that, lines all over, to find the right and left output there is a pain, you can do it from Ardour going to each place and opening the window of the routes, ecc…but the multithread thing is also something very interesting, as each strip finishes by using different threads, why good things are not copied when they are good? Modularity is a must since the first days of coding, why that wouldn’t happen in the user side?

Jack crackling i don’t care what it is, the important thing is that ALSA on the same machine at the same moment doesn’t have that, and the audio is recorded in a much efficient way, you can’t risk a take just because Jack has a bad day managing memory or cpu.

Ardour don’t crash or crashed with Windows plugins, in fact i didn’t use Windows plugins there but over Carla, wich right now is so effiecient with wine and win64 win32.

Ardour crashed with Calf, with AirWindows not loading the plugins from session to session, who knows why, crashing when you delete an insert that was ON, crashing when you change something outside Ardour that was connected with Ardour, Ardour behaves like someone with fear of the air…something moves, Ardour crashes, it happened with prior version of Carla, since it was included in UbuntuStudio by default, is stable and now much more, even saves states of plugins, all of them, NOW, in the prior version, terrible experience.

Google Audacity: Forget about it, the community is on that, and they will put that as OFF by default, and you can optin if you want send your data to Google.

Windows?
https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html

Ardour and Usability?
Linus Torvalds and why he didn’t use Debian anymore, usability is important, and Ardour needs to take care of that, i’m here loosing or investing time i don’t know, and you too, because things are not doing properly, else i wouldn’t be here, 5am, things to do, without sleeping, i don’t have time to loose, nor you, just change please your approach, Ardour deserves better and more organic approach to drive feelings of user to changes, each time someone puts something up, someone comes to say “you can do it waving your hand out of the window…or puting your hand on the back of your head”…i don’t know… like we are disturbing the peace of the developers ego…come on… Ardour needs an open chat about things and the forum is not structured enough to let things arrive to an open no under pressure opinions, to arrive to a better Ardour…maybe some day…or i’ll find where that is happening, non pressure, non boot lickers, non dictatorship, voting ideas and things to solve, and in the peak of that developers making real the dreams of users… just dreaming…

Recording “without any external gear, only Ardour through ALSA over the same UMC202HD with everything exactly the same” should give you the exact same result, barring later bugs, whether you recorded using 5.12 or any later 6.x version.

If you can prove that there really is a difference you should report it to your distro first, unless you’re actually using the official binaries.

Paul and Robin recommend that you use ALSA instead of Jack, unless you really need that, so why aren’t you doing that?

I have no idea why you keep bringing up Carla when you really don’t have to use it to use Linux plugins in a Linux version of Ardour.

If 3rd party plugins crash Ardour you should as the creators of those plugins why they don’t behave properly.

Is it Ardour’s fault that Linus isn’t using Debian/Ubuntu?
I really don’t think so.
And I’m pretty sure he’s never used Ardour on any distro ever.

1 Like

Communications guy here, Paul and Robin do great on that front. I appreciate all their efforts, and that in spite of the difficulty in creating a tool that caters to many workflows Ardour has done remarkably well on this front.

Complaining about MIDI in Ardour here on the forums is a constant nag on the developers. Don’t nag them about it because if you look at the bug tracker you’d know that they are well aware of it. If you are working on the development and want better MIDI, focus on those bugs instead of taking the time and effort to post the long rants here is a more productive use of yours and their time.

In general work with people, don’t pick fights with them and choose your criticisms carefully after working with them for a while.

2 Likes