Time Signature and Tempo Change messed up

HI,
I don’t know if this problem is tackled in the 7.2 version, I believe I read about some Time-stuff not handled well in Ardour7 at the moment and changes coming (hope so :wink:

But anyway: I struggle with tempo changes after some divergent bars (3/8 in this case).
See picture.
ArdourTempo
After 3/8 bars a tempo change will not snap to the beginning of a later bar.

And what comes next, I don’t know, but a lot of bars have disappeared completely. Moving the tempomarker around leads ultimately to a crash. This happens in a sort of clean 7.1.0 session.
I don’t know if anyone has a workaround at the moment (looked into BBT markers and glueing or not). I can’t find any.

After some testing with an empty clean session; Ardour 7.1.0 can’t handle a combination of time signature-changes and tempo change.
And if dragged enough with the tempomarker a crash: Aborted (core dumped). Reproducable.
So for this session, back to 6.

I noticed bugtracker issue ID 0009107 deals with the same problem. I hope 7.2 will bring the fix.

1 Like

Fairly sure this particular issue is fixed. It would be helpful if you try a nightly build from nightly.ardour.org

Ok, I will try the nightly build.

I’ve tested the nightly build 7.1.174.
Altough it seems more stable, dragging the tempo change and trying out different time measures (no crash) the problem is still there: strange things happen in the BBT-bar when using odd time measures other than quarter (fi 5/4 does well).
When inserting 3/8, 7/16, etc the grid is messed up, maybe not initially but certainly if you move the tempochange marker. See picture, 7/16 may sound musically a bit extreme but it gives an insight in what’s happening.

I know that this is under development, so is it helpful to place another bug-report on this? Basically the picture tells all there is to it.

this is all mostly fixed in my local build, and should show up in nightly (and 7.2) shortly-ish.

2 Likes