"Old New" (v2.0)

I decided to rework my first full production (from 5 years ago), since I was hoping that I could do a better job with these years of practice. So I guess this is the new “Old New”. :wink:

I reprogrammed the instruments, used new plugins, re-recorded the guitar parts (except for the solo, as I did not think I could improve on the old one), and remixed.

It was all done with Ardour (and version 7.x fixed the MIDI problems I had before!), with mostly LSP, x42, Overtone DSP, and u-he plugins. The drums was DrumGizmo’s CrocellKit, bass was MODO Bass 2, synths were yoshimi, u-he’s Repro, and Vitalium, the organ was IK Multumedia’s Hammond B3-X. The guitars were re-recorded with tamgamp using the JCM800 model, and the tube screamer model from Guitarix.

I had a really hard time with the mix (as usual!), but hopefully it turned out OK.

Here is the song: https://luisfinotti.org/music/files/OldNew2_mix_r26_session_2022-12-20_08.03.mp3.

For more details, check my post at Luís Finotti's Current Recordings.

Let me know if you have any comments and/or suggestions to improve it, and thanks for checking it out!

3 Likes

I pulled the new and old versions into Audacity and flipped back and forth. Admittedly, I have lousy ears, but yeah, the new version seems to have a much richer low end and I like that the drums are up more in the mix. The guitar solo shreds!

A few weeks ago, you chimed in with a sanity check about an issue I was having with time signatures. I see that you clearly have an affinity for interesting time signatures and phrasing (love it!). So thanks again. Looking forward to checking out some of your other tracks.

-Manuel

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to check them out and for your kind words!

And I am glad I could be of some help to someone. My balance is still way in the red within the open source community. :slight_smile: