Soundcards working with Ardour on Linux

I am migrating all my music studio to Linux and want to get a soundcard, mixer, that works well with Linux and Ardour. I would appreciate your experiences…

I have a Focusrite 2i2, 1st gen, and it works just fine.

1 Like

I have the Tascam Model 12, it works perfectly.

RME Fireface 802 and UFX+ works. However Totalmix is not available so you need to do headphonemixes via Ardour.

Behringer Uphoria UMC202HD works fine. I think other Uphoria devices works fine also.

These two are fine here:
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 1stGen
Tascam US-4x4HR

I have the SSL2+, it works perfectly too.

Steinberg UR12 is fine, it is USB Class Compliant without issues.
I heard that Arturia interfaces have some issues under Linux (and its CC implementation is not so great)

Behringer U-Phoria UMC22, everything works.

Tascam US16x08: perfect

1 Like

How many (analog and digital) inputs do you need or use in your studio?

Do you need a soundcard that has pre-amps, and can provide phantom power, or do you use external gear for that?

How many outputs do you need? Separate, dedicated headphone channels?

What interfaces does your PC have? USB2? USB3? PCI[e]? Firewire/Thunderbolt?

…and what is your budget?

As other have already mentioned all class compliant USB[2] devices work out-of-the-box. A quick check is to see if the device works with iOS (driver-less on mac). If so the device will also work on Linux.

2 Likes

I need about 8 inputs whit preamp an phantom. Out I would likt o be able to send to my active monitors and the hifi-system.

I have behringer UMC1820 and works out of the box, no problems at all. Eight ins and ten outs. For a not so expensive option, I would recommend it.

1 Like

In this case the “Tascam US16x08”, “UMC1820” or “Focusrite 18i20” are options on the lower end of the budget that will work. Pre-amp wise I’d probably go with the UMC or Tascam.

A step up would be “Motu M8” or “Motu 8 Pre” (they even mention Linux as supported OS). A nice aspect is that the control app for those is a web interface.

RME is gold standard, but rather expensive, and while their devices work, the control application (totalmix) may not.

Thank you all for your great replies! I will let you know how it ended.

Behringer UMC1820 plus 8 port ADAT expansion. I’ve been using it for 3 years. Works great.

1 Like

For any guitar players out there in Linux land, I’ve been having some fun with the Fender Mustang Micro (a tiny headphone amp with various DSP amp models) it also has class compliant USB audio out for recording, I plugged it into my Linux machine, and it magically appeared in the list of ALSA inputs and ‘just worked’ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

RME is gold standard, but rather expensive, and while their devices work, the control application (totalmix) may not.

They are a bit more expensive, but really good quality. Who would be the kind of entity that would be able to make Totalmix fx for Linux if RME doesn’t want to do it. :thinking:

1 Like

RME Hdsp 9652 has worked flawlessly for us on stage and in the studio for ten year, the only drawback is that it’s PCI (not PCIe), but you can get it for a reasonable price and there is a control application for it on linux.

Hello,
I had a Prodipe Studio 22 pro, that worked fine. A few month ago I changed for a Behringer X18 mixer. This is just amazing, the quality of the midas preamps is great. This digital mixer need a PC, a Tablet or a smartphone to be used. The software is available for all platform and works fine. I am running Ardour under LinuxMint.

1 Like

Does all the software for the X18 run directly on Linux Mint or do you have to run them with Wine or something like that?