Room calibration

Good morning
I want to calibrate my room and have searched for any appropriate software. Is there anything simpler than BruteFIR for room calibration on Linux?
Can anyone recommend a solution?
Many thanks

So a slight pedantic thing:

You are not calibrating your room. Your are calibrating your speakers for your room. Calibrating your room is treating it acoustically (And if possible the better option to start with).

That being out of the way, most people on Linux use drc-fir for this purpose I believe, possibly using a UI to help write the FIR filters. I haven’t gone this route personally though so can’t help you with it much, maybe others can.

I have used the Math audio room eq plugin. It is a Windows plugin but works well through Yabridge. Admittedly, I think a Linux version would also be available if a sufficient number of people asked for one.

https://mathaudio.com/room-eq.htm

Thanks Seablade. I think the drc-fir may be a bit too complicated for me, I was very lost reading the BruteFIR instructions. I’m just wondering if theres an android app that might help

Thanks very much. I do need something very simple for sure, as Im not confident with equations and algorythms

there is a beta version of the sonarworks reference software. they do not develop it further, but there is one in existence and functioning. it is very easy to set up (with a win computer doing the calibration ) and then to run as a linux vst in ardour. but it s paid software, comes with a mic etc etc.

This won’t help if you already have monitors, but some monitors come with internal DSP that allows them to retain and apply the calibration curves internally. The catch of course is that the software to do the calibration is only available on Mac and Windows platforms, but the Windows version might work via wine. I like this approach since it’s less CPU-intensive for your computer once everything’s set up.

That said, it doesn’t always work. I have the Neumann KH-80 monitors, which are excellent but the software is a disaster. I tried the iPad app and it never found my monitors, so then I bought the MA-1 calibration package (software plus measurement mic, you can’t use a third-party mic) and couldn’t get it to work on either Windows or Mac. It did at least recognize my monitors but wouldn’t get past the first page of the process. I ended up using Sonarworks anyway. Other brands of monitors with DSPs would be a better choice.

Thanks
I havent been able to find the beta in their downloads and have contacted them for a reply

1 Like

Thanks I already have moinitors but unfortunately they dont store calibration curves

yes they took the beta off their webpage, as they do not maintain the vst. they changed their politics and develop now sound id, unfortunately only for win and mac, :frowning:

wow, no one mentioned Room EQ Wizard?
So simple that even I could use it after some reading and work :slight_smile:
Here’s a tutorial and link:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/room-measurement-tutorial-for-dummies-part-1.4/
You’re welcome.
edited to correct link
PS runs on Linux, WIndows, maybe Mac

1 Like

Sorry i answered the wrong person

What a shame. I guess they don’t think they can make enough money from it. :disappointed:

1 Like

Yes thanks. I’ve downloaded it and also found a brief tutorial in computer music mag.

To my knowledge REW is not what is being looked for here (Though correct me if I am wrong). REW is about measurement and analysis, but doesn’t generate the FIR filters needed for room correction or de-convolution with minimal phase issues.

Seablade

Oh dear, so does that mean I wont be able to see any improvement from using REW?

REW would still be a useful tool to have for measurement and visualization, it just is not the tool you run to modify the audio.

You really should do some background reading on the topic, trying to compensate speakers in a room is a task that can cause as many problems as it solves if you go in with no understanding of the principles involved. The most successful guided approach is probably something like what home theater processors perform, but I’m not sure something that polished would be available as a plugin. Most of the available tools that run on Linux assume you are knowledgeable about the principles involved already.

Ok thanks. Its a long road

REW would be very usefull. I belive filter files can be imported to LSP eq plugins

1 Like

The convolver not EQ - EQs are not (usually) linear phase.
But yes, if you must, room-correction using convolution would be the way to go. Ideally use Ardour’s Monitor Section to load the convolver. This way the correction will not be applied when exporting the audio, and only be applied to the monitor signal path to the speakers.

However to get this right, you need a good measurement microphone, ideally with calibration information for that mic. Then perform a couple of measurements … including measuring the speakers themselves. Trying to correct for frequencies that speakers cannot produce (e.g. bass or treble boost) will add distortion.

Personally I think DRC is overrated. Rather treat your room and brain. Knowing your speakers (or headphones) is better than trying to make them play frequencies they’re not designed to play.

just my 2c.

4 Likes