Room calibration

It creates the filters. I’ve taken the settings and use them in in the equalizer in Ardour And pulse effects.

Seconded. And here is why, it isn’t that it doesn’t work, it does work, but it only works for the point in the room you measure, so as mentioned above, move your head an inch and it is no longer great. When tuning systems professionally there is a reason I both measure multiple points in the room to tune to, and average them out. I also START there, and then tune by ear and what I hear afterwards as well, and you would be amazed at how different that can be sometimes. Slightly different purposes in the turnings sometimes, pleasant vs accurate, but the point does still stand in both cases.

As @x42 mentioned, much better is to tune the room.

Seablade

Yea you have to go back to what I said before, it isn’t just inverse filters, it is the FIR filters (That are no common) that are needed for many linear phase solutions, otherwise you are introducing phase issues with most EQs as @x42 also mentioned.

Now what @x42 mentioned with grabbing impulses and generating a correction impulse and loading it into a convolver is definitely an option is my understanding, but not quite the same, with some drawbacks in terms of control over what is happening to make sure that there isn’t particular problems in the measurement/capture step.

Seablade

Thanks to everybody for these insights. Robin, without trying to extend the range of my speakers, is knowing where the peaks and troughs, particularly in the low mid, with from information from an REW measurement, going to help me gauge my sound better? It is the bass (above 50Hz) and low mid which is my greatest concern at the moment.

this is a simple and interesting approach for headphone calibration / EQ… did anyone try yet? do you know of an 9 band eq i could use for that purpose?

I use the pulseeffects for this (outside of Ardour). There is EQ, Xfeed, and sometimes I add a little bit if small room reverb on top, to emulate a “bedroom”

I use drc together with the Java GUI DRCDesigner to measure the impulse response.
bruteFIR does the convolution in jack.

There is a bit of time to invest yes.

If you want a more guided solution you might invest some money.
There are already some solutions in this conversation, but minidsp is missing.
They offer a software together with a standalone hardware to do room correction. They are not cheap, but also not too expensive.
I’ve done a short research. This thing here is about 500$⋮ https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-24
You can add it to your monitors.

PS: I use room correction not for recording, yet. It is there just to enhance my HIFI system.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.