On Ardour's home page, add Broadcast and Podcast Producers

I think that the section on Ardour’s main web page listing the different target audiences is lacking an important user group. In addition to audio engineers, musicians, soundtrack editors and composers, you should also add a paragraph that explicitly mentions broadcast and podcast producers. Sure, in a way, they are already covered with “audio engineers”, but I don’t think this is obvious enough. I’ve been using Ardour for both broadcast and podcast work since about 2009 and wouldn’t consider myself an audio engineer (I’m more of a journalist really). Yet, I find Ardour perfect for this kind of work, so I think the website should clearly point this out.

4 Likes

v7.0 will feature a new editing feature called “interview mode” and at that time I will definitely take up your suggestion. Thanks!

6 Likes

Good point! 100% agree. Hopefully this would make Ardour show up in many more peoples searches for Podcast DAWs also.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Also:

This is fantastic news!

Looking so much forward to trying this feature out when v7.0 comes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey what would interview mode do in Ardour? How would that change editing? How do I follow these features again?

Interview mode is like Ripple (All) but the idea is that a major part of interview editing is cutting out the audio from the person who is not currently speaking. It allows you to select any number of tracks for editing and ripple will propagate across them all - in the simplest case, you select ranges in the non-speaking track and delete them, and only that track will ripple; later in the process, when you start wanting to work across both tracks you just select across both tracks, delete etc. and both of them will ripple.

I developed this “tweak” to Ripple All when working on editing my my 3.5 hour chat with Justin Frankel of Reaper

This feature is not documented and even the implementation will change before 7.0 is released. We do not maintain a “development blog”, but the ardour commit mailing list distributes notifications of our work as it happens (the messages won’t mean a lot if you can’t read code though).

6 Likes

@paul: I think you meant to say “you select ranges in the non-speaking track and delete them, and the edit will not ripple” (because you are just cutting out a cough or whatever)

…later in the process, when you start wanting to work across both tracks you just select across both tracks, delete etc. and both of them will ripple.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.