New AVL-Drumkits Buskman's Holiday Percussion Kit

Hi,

This is kind of a ‘made with Ardour’ and ‘made for Ardour’ mixture. I have just added a brand new Hand Percussion drumkit called the ‘Buskman’s Holiday’ in Hydrogen, SFZ and SF2 format. This kit was sampled and edited with Ardour from my own Studio percussion pieces and features 10 velocity layers per kit piece as well as both right and left handed samples on many of the pieces. There has been some preliminary discussion about another collab with @x42 and an LV2 Plugin but this unique kit will not share the same LV2 template as the existing AVL Drumkits LV2s so it will be very labour intensive to start from scratch so that is on the back burner for now to be revisited in the future at a less hectic time… I have actually been gigging with an acoustic Duo with this kit in Hydrogen on a laptop all summer and it suits various kinds of acoustic stuff from folk to latin very well.

For a quick look at the kit pieces I have pasted the keymap from the midnam file:

<NoteNameList Name="Notes">
      <Note Number="35" Name="StickClick"/>
      <Note Number="36" Name="CajonThump"/>
      <Note Number="37" Name="FingerSnaps"/>
      <Note Number="38" Name="CajonSlap-L"/>
      <Note Number="39" Name="HandClap"/>
      <Note Number="40" Name="CajonSlap-R"/>
      <Note Number="41" Name="LargeConga-L"/>
      <Note Number="42" Name="Shakers"/>
      <Note Number="43" Name="LargeConga-R"/>
      <Note Number="44" Name="ShakeTamb"/>
      <Note Number="45" Name="SmallConga-L"/>
      <Note Number="46" Name="BumpTamb"/>
      <Note Number="47" Name="SmallConga-R"/>
      <Note Number="48" Name="Claves"/>
      <Note Number="49" Name="Cymbal"/>
      <Note Number="50" Name="CymbalBell"/>
      <Note Number="51" Name="Cowbell"/>
      <Note Number="52" Name="FootStomp"/>
      <Note Number="53" Name="Bucket"/>
      <Note Number="54" Name="BellTreeDown"/>
      <Note Number="55" Name="BellTreeUp"/>
     </NoteNameList>

I have just started working on an album project and have used it on a couple of new Demos which I’ll link here just as an example of what it sounds like in a production, if the tunes aren’t your thing fair enough…lol just listen to the Percs… :wink:

A Drink to Those Passed DEMO

Other Side DEMO

You can get the new Buskman’s Holiday at the AVL Drumkits Website:

A midnam file for use in Ardour can optionally be downloaded here

11 Likes

Beautiful and sweet tunes, congrats and thanks for your work. (I’m AVLinux user)

2 Likes

Demos sound good. Thanks a lot for the great work and extending the AVL drums

2 Likes

Great work! Thank you so much for this gift the the Ardour / FLOSS music community.

3 Likes

Wow - love your music, Glen - and thanks for the percs…

1 Like

Hi Glen
I looked on bandshed but i cant see the buskmans holiday kit.
Also are the fixed AVL drumkits available from there as lv2?
Many thanks

In the page linked above, any of the links below Downloads: takes you to a directory listing that also offers the buskmans holiday kit in the respective format, I downloaded all of them just an hour ago

Thanks
I installed the buskmans holidays and midinam file as specifies in the Ardour manual.
Loading the sf2 into ACE fluid synth, the sound work great, but Im not getting the drum names

from the log:
2023-09-10T19:01:59 [INFO]: AlsaAudioBackend: adjusted output channel count to match device.
2023-09-10T19:01:59 [INFO]: AlsaAudioBackend: adjusted input channel count to match device.
2023-09-10T19:01:59 [INFO]: Scanning folders for bundled LV2s: /opt/Ardour-7.5.286-dbg/lib/LV2
2023-09-10T19:02:03 [INFO]: xjadeo version: 0.8.12
2023-09-10T19:02:03 [INFO]: harvid version: 901
2023-09-10T19:02:05 [INFO]: Loading menus from /opt/Ardour-7.5.286-dbg/etc/ardour.menus
2023-09-10T19:02:05 [INFO]: LV2: update midnam for plugin ‘General MIDI Synth’
2023-09-10T19:02:05 [INFO]: LV2: update midnam for plugin ‘General MIDI Synth’
2023-09-10T19:02:05 [INFO]: LV2: update midnam for plugin ‘ACE Fluid Synth’
2023-09-10T19:02:05 [INFO]: Loading user ui scripts file /home/mel/.config/ardour7/ui_scripts
2023-09-10T19:02:05 [INFO]: Loading plugin order file /home/mel/.config/ardour7/plugin_metadata/plugin_order
2023-09-10T19:02:06 [INFO]: Removing MIDI patch file custom:urn:ardour:a-fluidsynth:0x55aef21c2050
2023-09-10T19:02:06 [INFO]: LV2: update midnam for plugin ‘ACE Fluid Synth’
2023-09-10T19:02:06 [INFO]: Loading history from /home/mel/Music/Audio/dippsNspins/dippsNspins.history
2023-09-10T19:08:11 [WARNING]: g_log: Input method gtk-im-context-simple should not use GTK’s translation domain gtk20
Screenshot of edit window:

Its the same when I use the draw and edit tools.
Can you tell me what I did wrong?
Many thanks

Hi,

What I have done is created a folder in my home ~/.config/ardour7 folder called ‘patchfiles’:

You must unzip the midnam in the patchfiles folder so it appears as a text file…

Now on the next run of Ardour when I have a MIDI track with Buskman’s Holiday (I am using the SFZ version in SFizz) when I select the dropdown box in the track header ‘AVL-Drumkits’ appears in the list with Buskman’s Holiday’s midnam.

It appears as though @x42 has made new ‘6.1-5’ LV2 builds of the other Drumkits which come from his own site, actually I will make an updated AV Linux package and post it here when I get a minute.

Thanks for this detailed explanation Glen. I was using the sf2 version and the log said this regarding ACE fluid synth:
2023-09-10T19:02:05 [INFO]: LV2: update midnam for plugin ‘ACE Fluid Synth’
2023-09-10T19:02:05 [INFO]: Loading user ui scripts file /home/mel/.config/ardour7/ui_scripts
2023-09-10T19:02:05 [INFO]: Loading plugin order file /home/mel/.config/ardour7/plugin_metadata/plugin_order
2023-09-10T19:02:06 [INFO]: Removing MIDI patch file custom:urn:ardour:a-fluidsynth:0x55aef21c2050
2023-09-10T19:02:06 [INFO]: LV2: update midnam for plugin ‘ACE Fluid Synth’
I dont actually know what that means, but I will get the SFZ or LV2 version.

A big thanks to you for all the AVL stuff, I think it’s great.
:grinning:

While I like the fact that one can help oneself, this reminds me why I created the dedicated LV2 plugin.

I have added the Buskman’s Holiday percussion kit to avldrums.lv2 v6.1-8.

There is no multi-out version (probably never will be since it is not directly applicable), and for the time being, the GUI is just a funny placeholder.

I expect to tag v7.0 later this month.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but that file is missing from the installation package… The plugin only worked when I downloaded it from Glen’s website and renamed it.
Buskmans_Holiday_LV2.sf2

However, autumn evenings get darker and strange things happen.:slight_smile:

Hah. It was a bug in the initial upload. The file was not packaged. You were one of the few unlucky ones to grab before the issue was resolved. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

Hi Robin,

Thanks for taking the time to complement Glen’s work. It really makes the adoption of avldrums straightforward for Ardour users.

Do you think it makes sense to tag your version 6.1-9 in github (perhaps even as a release)? That would help trigger the build and inclusion process in at least one distribution (ArchLinux). If it does make sense, would you, please?

Thanks in advance! All the best.
Bruno.

1 Like

I’d like to wait a bit until the dust settles. I am yet to test this on all platforms before I am confident to tag a release. But I expect this will happen before the end of this week.

2 Likes

I have just replaced the dummy GUI “Buskman is on Holiday - Their percussion kit is available to you while they’re away” with an interactive one. It is just showing text for the time being. I will have to coordinate with @GMaq to get a suitable picture of the percussion set.

Hi, have been away this week with family visiting, I wasn’t expecting a GUI to happen so soon, I will try to get something together over the weekend, things like foot stomps and finger snaps might be a bit challenging to do in a photo UI but I will use my imagination… :wink:

Me neither.
At first it was headless, and I worried that will cause question why the GUI does not work. So I added a blank one with some text indicating to “stay tuned” and then realized that just a text based UI to indicate samples is easy…

Mapping items on an image will indeed be harder. Internally the mapping expects ellipses. This works well for the drum-kits since all drums, cymbals etc are round. This is not necessarily true for percussion. So it will take extra work to accommodate non circular shapes.

BTW, that foot stomp sample is scary. Almost sounds like a hammer.

Haha, Doc Marten boot meets bare living room hardwood floor… my foot was angry with me for a day or two…

2 Likes

Done now. Tags · x42/avldrums.lv2 · GitHub