midi controller and connection

i did not mean Main Menu > Editor > Window > …

i meant, in the editor window, in the main menu > Options > Misc Options > Use OSC

I do not even options … I have only:
session, transport, edit, region, track, view, jack, window, help …

i missed that you are using ardour3. you need to go to Edit -> Preferences -> User Interaction

then enable OSC.

here! I found it!
I state that I do not have similar experiences in the device configuration OSC, so maybe I’m doing something trivial.
I am attaching the screen what I see:

the white screen on the left is PureData that takes data from my phone.
in the middle is the mixer, but despite the computer detects the movements of the fade of the mobile phone, the mixer ardor nothing happens … why do you think?

no idea, and i don’t discuss technical matters like this on a medium like a web forum. its slow, clunky and completely stupid. if you want to talk about it, find me on IRC (though probably not on christmas day).

Touchdaw is working with Ardour 3.1.10

you have to use Qmidinet create 2 ports for Jack
on Ardour edit > preference > user interaction > control surfaces
choose Mackie > BerhingerBFC2000
with Qjackctl connect midi
Qmidinet out_1 > ardour mackie control in
aedour mackie control out > Qmidinet in_2
on Touchdaw you have to choose wifi multicast to connect

Yves, thanks for your pointers on this. I’ve gotten TouchDAW working on my Android tablet (a cheapo 7" Coby) and will run it through some tests to see how stable it is. Since I do a lot of mobile recording, this could be a big step forward in easily controlling my setup when in the field.

Something I noted is that it doesn’t seem to matter much which DAW is chosen, the functionality seems pretty consistent. Onto the testing!

Ill be interested how well this does or does not work for you. I have a MCU gathering dust I would rather replace with a basic controller on a tablet in most cases, but still deciding

Seablade

This is working better for me than I had hoped. When I started, I’d often have Ardour lock up on me, and I’d have to resort to killing Ardour and jack from the command line. There were definitely issues on my system (running Arch Linux). After many gyrations, including installing the RT kernel and wireless drivers (as well as some hair pulling over the rt-wireless driver naming my wifi interface as eth0), it turns out the root cause was user error. A change in systemd meant /etc/sysctl.conf was no longer read. I hadn’t remembered that I’d changed it, and some parameters like vm.swappiness were set inappropriately for a performant system. Once I correctly set this, it was great.

With the laptop now running the RT kernel and interfacing properly with the wireless network, serendipity happenned - I’m now running jack against my Alesis mixer with a Firewire interface with only 128 frames/per and 2 periods/buffer, which is such low latency (Ardour reports 2.7ms) that I can have Ardour perform the monitoring. This lets me control the live sound volume with Ardour’s mixer rather than with the Alesis’ faders. Huzzah! I no longer have to be tied to the mixing board! Now when the singer moves the mic and starts to feedback while I’m over at the keg, I don’t have to make a headlong dash over to the mixer - a gesture on the tablet and the singer’s volume’s is brought down a tad. Since I mostly do live sound and mobile recording, this is a HUGE win for me.

I’ve now recorded over 80 minutes of all 18 channels from the mixer (16 channels plus the main mix in stereo) with this setup with nary an xrun to be seen. I’m declaring this a real success.

Not all the controls in TouchDAW seem to work, but that’s OK. (I’ve got TouchDAW set as a controller for Logic. If anyone’s used anything else more effectively, I’d love to hear about it.) In the mixer section ann the controls work as expected (I really like the Flip button which swaps the volume and pan controls between the rotary and slider pot controls - very handy since the rotary controls are a bit finicky). I can arm and disarm tracks on the fly nicely. In the control section, zoom and navigation work well and switching banks brings me back and forth quickly. Stopping and starting work as expected. I found I can arm the global record button from the tablet but not disarm it, but that’s great as far as I’m concerned - there’s no chance I’ll accidentally hit it and stop recording all the channels. Even the Save button works!

Now, what doesn’t work? The clock doesn’t work at all, it remains at zero on the tablet the whole time. The channels are not always updated with their fader level or mute/solo/arm status until a change is made either on the tablet or at the computer. Neither of those are an issue for me.

I don’t know that I’d want to try managing a full recording session with just the tablet, but all the basic functionality I want in controlling a live show is there and is working fine for me. TouchDAW might be the best $5 I’ve spent on my mobile setup! (I was lucky enough to already have a spare wireless access point I could add to my mobile rig.)

Seablade, if you’re familiar with the MCU already, you might be able to give more input on how TouchDAW compares to the real thing.

@JoeHartly

Are you using the Behringer profile for the MCU? That might be why your clock doesn’t work, the BCF doesn’t have a clock IIRC so I don’t believe the value is ever updated.

By the way, is this with A2 or A3? From the fact Save works, I am guessing A3. If so it would be worth filing a bug report on the issues you are noticing most likely and see if anyone with a BCF can confirm them, I may be able to check with my MCU at some point as well.

Seablade

I’ve used the setup just as laid out by Yves in his post. I tried some of the other choices in Ardour for controller early on but had no luck with operations at all. Of course, that was before I got to the level of stability I have now, so it’ll be worth another go once I have the time.

It makes sense that since the BCF has no clock, there’s no update. That’s OK by me, the less traffic that has to be handled, the more reliable things are likely to be.

I’m using Ardour 3.4, downloaded from here as opposed to whatever’s in the Arch repos.

I have a BCF2000 as well, but I’ve never used it in Mackie mode. Perhaps I’m losing a bit of functionality, but it does just what I need so I haven’t really tried anything more.

It would be quite nice to have a .device and .info file for TouchDAW …

I’d be happy to help, but I’m a total noob when it comes to Android apps and with controller definitions.

The author of TouchDAW seems interested in having his app work with Ardour, but I don’t think he’s got much familiarity with it. I’d be happy to ask him for the files if it’d help. Do you think he’d understand the question as you phrased it? Or sould I be asking for some other type of file from him?

It has nothing to do with Android or even controller definitions. Take a look in the mcp folder of either the source or the installed version of Ardour. There are examples in there which should be almost self-explanatory. If you can edit a text file (and I know you can Joe), then you could cook these up.

Thanks for the pointer, Paul. I’ll bang away on this as time permits.

how are we getting on with this? im just looking at touchdaw and going to try setting it up.

it would be nice to have an already setup config that i can modify rather than starting from scratch

I did a gig last weekend with this setup, and it worked well for the live sound with two glitches:

First was user error - I accidentally tapped a control on the tablet and put the bass channel in to solo mode, cutting the vocals and other instruments to the mains. Oops! Definitely a lesson on how to carry around the tablet.

My second problem is an issue with my configuration. Because I can’t control my mixer digitally, I’d had Ardour doing the monitoring, which let me adjust the volumes to the mains, but my recording had a few xrun clusters which caused a couple of dropouts (of course on some of the performances the band really wanted to hear back). Since latency becomes such an issue with this approach, I’ve been walking the fine line between it and stability.

I haven’t had a chance to muck about with using different controller definitions within Ardour due to actually doing some recording with it. I’ve been doing a 3 song demo for some friends and it’s sounding great.

@JoeHartley

In regards to the first issue, a monitor bus will help with that. Solo acts different in those cases.

Seablade

Hi this has been a very useful discussion for me having been trawling around apps and the internet for some time on this topic.

However, I have not yet seen indication anywhere that anyone has successfully been able to use specifically the piano keyboard controller in TouchDAW successfully.

I have used JoeHartley’s post to successfully connect TouchDAW to Ardour 4 via QmidiNet (thanks for that) and I can see faders moving in Ardour when I move them in TouchDAW, but if I go to the piano keyboard in TouchDAW after routing from QMidiNet to my appropriate midi input in Ardour I can never get this to work. Regardless of what instrument is assigned in Ardour to that midi channel, there is just very clearly no response on the Ardour piano roll, nor do I see any midi signal response.

So my question, has JoeHartley or anyone seen this work? my ultimate goal is to be able to use android with a keyboard to trigger notes on an instrument plugins in on my computer, mostly through Ardour. (I use KXStudio installation by the way). All my investigation so far only find controllers for faders and nobs. I don’t even care what data transfer method is used, (I explored using USB with G-Stomper to no avail), Wifi, USB or blue tooth is fine

So this is one of those times you end up answering your own post hoping that someone else may still benefit potentially.

I found a successful solution using Ardour 4 and TouchDAW’s midi keyboard. You basically do everything so far advised in the earlier post at Thu, 2013-04-11 03:04 from yves…

but at the stage when you created your ports on Qmidinet, you create 4 ports not 2. I realized this when I reviewed the Midi settings in TouchDAW. The trick is to not let the reference to ‘ports’ in TouchDAW confuse you during your Qmidinet port set up.

In TouchDAW Midi Port 1, you’ll see reference to ipMIDI with additional numbers. (ipMidi being something for OSX. You will be using Qmidinet in its place). Those numbers that follow ipMIDI are actually the port numbers you want to work with out of Qmidinet. So with everything so far discussed on this thread, if you are only using 2 ports out of Qmidinet you are only dealing with part of TouchDAW’s functionality, where:

TouchDAW Port 1 sends and receives your mixer faders and nobs over Qmidinet’s port 1 and 2

To gain the rest of your functionality

TouchDAW Port 2 sends and receives your TouchDAW midi keyboard notes over Qmidinet’s port 3 and 4

So far to prove it works I have mapped Qmidinet port 3 out to my Ardour midi 1 ‘in’ where I have a snyth set up and it works!

I hope this helps others. My needs where focused on portability for when I can not use a larger keyboard but find the computer keyboard QWERTY keyboard (via JACK Keyboard to limiting). I will go on now to hopefully see some output back to my Android device (Samsung S5) coming over Qmidinet port 4 to see some feed back from midi responses on that same channel, but this is a ‘nice to have’ as ultimately I can now play a midi keyboard via Android’s TouchDAW to trigger Ardour midi events , Hooray!

(it’s also worth mentioning, that when you see that TouchDAW hasn’t successfully picked up Ardour (I usually use tablet key and check for channel descriptions on the TouchDAW mixer), there are to things to try, first tap the NC button on the mixer view, and secondly restart Qmidinet. If no luck, restart Ardour and jack.