midi controller and connection

It would be quite nice to have a .device and .info file for TouchDAW …

I’d be happy to help, but I’m a total noob when it comes to Android apps and with controller definitions.

The author of TouchDAW seems interested in having his app work with Ardour, but I don’t think he’s got much familiarity with it. I’d be happy to ask him for the files if it’d help. Do you think he’d understand the question as you phrased it? Or sould I be asking for some other type of file from him?

It has nothing to do with Android or even controller definitions. Take a look in the mcp folder of either the source or the installed version of Ardour. There are examples in there which should be almost self-explanatory. If you can edit a text file (and I know you can Joe), then you could cook these up.

Thanks for the pointer, Paul. I’ll bang away on this as time permits.

how are we getting on with this? im just looking at touchdaw and going to try setting it up.

it would be nice to have an already setup config that i can modify rather than starting from scratch

I did a gig last weekend with this setup, and it worked well for the live sound with two glitches:

First was user error - I accidentally tapped a control on the tablet and put the bass channel in to solo mode, cutting the vocals and other instruments to the mains. Oops! Definitely a lesson on how to carry around the tablet.

My second problem is an issue with my configuration. Because I can’t control my mixer digitally, I’d had Ardour doing the monitoring, which let me adjust the volumes to the mains, but my recording had a few xrun clusters which caused a couple of dropouts (of course on some of the performances the band really wanted to hear back). Since latency becomes such an issue with this approach, I’ve been walking the fine line between it and stability.

I haven’t had a chance to muck about with using different controller definitions within Ardour due to actually doing some recording with it. I’ve been doing a 3 song demo for some friends and it’s sounding great.

@JoeHartley

In regards to the first issue, a monitor bus will help with that. Solo acts different in those cases.

Seablade

Hi this has been a very useful discussion for me having been trawling around apps and the internet for some time on this topic.

However, I have not yet seen indication anywhere that anyone has successfully been able to use specifically the piano keyboard controller in TouchDAW successfully.

I have used JoeHartley’s post to successfully connect TouchDAW to Ardour 4 via QmidiNet (thanks for that) and I can see faders moving in Ardour when I move them in TouchDAW, but if I go to the piano keyboard in TouchDAW after routing from QMidiNet to my appropriate midi input in Ardour I can never get this to work. Regardless of what instrument is assigned in Ardour to that midi channel, there is just very clearly no response on the Ardour piano roll, nor do I see any midi signal response.

So my question, has JoeHartley or anyone seen this work? my ultimate goal is to be able to use android with a keyboard to trigger notes on an instrument plugins in on my computer, mostly through Ardour. (I use KXStudio installation by the way). All my investigation so far only find controllers for faders and nobs. I don’t even care what data transfer method is used, (I explored using USB with G-Stomper to no avail), Wifi, USB or blue tooth is fine

So this is one of those times you end up answering your own post hoping that someone else may still benefit potentially.

I found a successful solution using Ardour 4 and TouchDAW’s midi keyboard. You basically do everything so far advised in the earlier post at Thu, 2013-04-11 03:04 from yves…

but at the stage when you created your ports on Qmidinet, you create 4 ports not 2. I realized this when I reviewed the Midi settings in TouchDAW. The trick is to not let the reference to ‘ports’ in TouchDAW confuse you during your Qmidinet port set up.

In TouchDAW Midi Port 1, you’ll see reference to ipMIDI with additional numbers. (ipMidi being something for OSX. You will be using Qmidinet in its place). Those numbers that follow ipMIDI are actually the port numbers you want to work with out of Qmidinet. So with everything so far discussed on this thread, if you are only using 2 ports out of Qmidinet you are only dealing with part of TouchDAW’s functionality, where:

TouchDAW Port 1 sends and receives your mixer faders and nobs over Qmidinet’s port 1 and 2

To gain the rest of your functionality

TouchDAW Port 2 sends and receives your TouchDAW midi keyboard notes over Qmidinet’s port 3 and 4

So far to prove it works I have mapped Qmidinet port 3 out to my Ardour midi 1 ‘in’ where I have a snyth set up and it works!

I hope this helps others. My needs where focused on portability for when I can not use a larger keyboard but find the computer keyboard QWERTY keyboard (via JACK Keyboard to limiting). I will go on now to hopefully see some output back to my Android device (Samsung S5) coming over Qmidinet port 4 to see some feed back from midi responses on that same channel, but this is a ‘nice to have’ as ultimately I can now play a midi keyboard via Android’s TouchDAW to trigger Ardour midi events , Hooray!

(it’s also worth mentioning, that when you see that TouchDAW hasn’t successfully picked up Ardour (I usually use tablet key and check for channel descriptions on the TouchDAW mixer), there are to things to try, first tap the NC button on the mixer view, and secondly restart Qmidinet. If no luck, restart Ardour and jack.

a small correction to my post above, where I said ‘I usually use tablet key’ I meant ‘I usually use tablet mode’.

You can set this in ‘Setup’ / ‘Global Setup’ / ‘UI, Interaction’ under Layout set ‘Prefer Tablet Layout’

The mixer in Tablet mode in TouchDAW I think looks much nicer and is quite usable even on my Galaxy S5 screen. Saves juming around so much.