Kontakt 5 with Ardour

Hello there!
I am new to this forum and new to Ardour.
I did a lot of music the past 20 years. First in Windows with Cubase, and later in Mac with Reaper.
Because Apple Hardware is very crappy and the warranty lasts only 1 year, I decided to give Ubuntu a chance.

I own the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra and Symphonic Choirs. I want to keep them and to continue to work with those libraries. They are quite old, but good. With the Kontakt 5 Player from Native Instruments it is possible in Windows and Mac.
But what about Linux / Ubuntu?
How can I add Kontakt 5 in Ardour and use the EWQL Libraries?

I appreciate any help. Thank you very much!
Marlon

IIRC they are iLok licensed, which means, nope no support.

If they are not iLok licensed, then it can be more possible, but still not a guarantee.

I would probably personally approach it as running those on the existing hardware you have in Mac or Windows if they are critical to you, and feed them via MIDI or similar if possible.

Seablade

You could use the Windows VST version with

1 Like

Thank you! I know that Kontakt 5 Player has to be installed to register the EWQL Sample Library with the serial numbers. I don’t know if this is possible as a VST Plugin.

I tried to install Native-installer.exe with WINE. Unfortunately it says
“Javascript Error”
Uncaught Exception. Path must be absolute.
It seems that there is a problem with the installation path, but I don’t know how to change that.

@Marlon you might check out the “Running non-linux software” section on linuxmusicians.com. Here is one recent thread reporting success installing and running Kontakt under WINE:

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=147736&hilit=kontakt#p147736

Do you really need Kontakt 5 or would it be also possible with Kontakt 6?
I got Kontakt 6 working on Debian 11. In order to have as few problems as possible when installing Native Access, it is recommended to use KXStudio. In addition, the instructions under “Solved - Running via Wine on Linux systems | NI Community Forum” helped me a lot with the installation. I hope this helps you too - perhaps also with Kontakt 5…

1 Like

Thanks for those replies!
If Kontakt 6 is based on Kontakt 5 and free as well I think I am fine with this. I have to use the EWQL Orchestral and Choir Samples. Maybe Kontakt 6 will work for that. Would be great! :slight_smile:
How can KXStudio help me with the install of Native Access? I think the only way here would be Wine?
Best regards!
Marlon

If the sample libraries are licensed through the Native Access app, use Wine to run the legacy (v1) version of Native Access: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000407909-Native-Access-1-Legacy-Installers-for-Older-Operating-Systems. From there you should be able to install, put in your serial number, and have it activated. Then run Kontakt <= 6 through yabridge (in my experience, Kontakt 7 doesn’t work with yabridge yet).

Native Access v2 is an Electron app and currently doesn’t work on Wine. Hopefully Native Instruments will continue to support the legacy version.

2 Likes

@Marlon You’re right - basically all you need is wine to get NA and Kontakt up and running. My feeling: In order to get all the necessary dependencies installed more or less easily in terms of integrating the plug-ins in Ardour and others, KXStudio was helpful - may or may not be :wink:.
The info of @samueldy is also very interesting for me: the version of NA I use is 1.14 and I didn’t know yet that there will be a change in technology … I was so happy to finally get NA and Kontakt working on Linux… :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help!
I already tried WINE with the old 1.41 Windows Native Installer exe, but got the following problem:

Application Date path was not found in the registry.
Please contact the Native Instrument team.

Do you know what that means?

Unfortunately, I don’t know what to do with your error message either :see_no_evil:.
However, what I can say is that installing NA on Linux is indeed quite uncomfortable. Not being able to install it in a quick and dirty way, I installed a fresh Debian system using large parts from the kxstudio repository and then set about installing NA using the advice from the forum mentioned above…
Especially the 5th post Solved - Running via Wine on Linux systems | NI Community Forum using Debian 11 and wine 7.0. Wine is set to emulate Windows-10. But also the other posts there have helpful hints.

Success! I was able to install Native Access and Kontakt 6!
Kontakt 6 and NA is installed in the wine/drive_c/Program Files Folder.
The complete Wine folder is not visible.
I don’t know what to do now.
I can start Kontakt 6 as standalone application.
But I want to integrate it into Ardour. How is this possible?
I already installed Carla.
But now I read that I could use yabridge instead / or as well?
I am just confused what to do now to successfully start Kontakt 6 as a VST plugin in Ardour! :slight_smile:

How can I add the Kontakt 6 Plugin to my Project?
I cannot add this plugin in Ardour, nor in Reaper.
I also tried Carla. Kontakt.exe is in .wine repository. It is not visible to other programs.
I can start it with wine. But not with Ardour or with Reaper.
Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

So nobody can help me? Did I muss something? .wine directory is hidden. How can I integrate win vst plugins such as Kontakt 6 in Ardour?

I hope my reply to your question over on LinuxMusicians is on point:
https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=149832#p149832

1 Like

Yes! :slight_smile: I just managed it with yabridge!!! :slight_smile: Perfect! Now I only have to fix the bad latency.

Sorry, but I haven’t been active here for the last few days. Also if you already have a solution, here is another way (maybe for others): I solved it for myself using the LinVST described in the above mentioned post…

I tried LinVST. But I could not manage it to install the linvst.so file. Maybe because I am running Ubuntu. But on Ubuntu yabridge seems to work. At least for my computer. I am now going to install ubuntu studio, maybe it works good for me and solves the latency problem.

OT but: I also started with Ubuntu Studio. Was ok to start with. I don’t know if you speak German, but these (Ubuntu Studio › Wiki › ubuntuusers.de) alternatives are worth considering. I use Debian myself and use the KXStudio as a guide. Elsewhere, LibraZiK was highly recommended to me. Since this is now also based on Debian “Bullseye”, I will test it soon :wink: