Incompatibility between Windows + Linux Versions?

@paul
The AVL and NVMe problems seem to be caused by AVL using systemback for installation, whereas Debian and other distros use other ways to install the system.

There seems to be some workarounds ( http://bandshed.net/forum_archive/bandshed.net/forum/index.php%3Ftopic=4259.0.html ) that may or may not work in any particular case.

IDK if the apparently forked systemback 1.9.3 from fconidi ( https://github.com/fconidi ) supports NVMe/M.2

And antiX uses a 4.9 kernel, which is LTS and it was not possible to get it working, only with 4.19. Maybe with newer versions of 4.9 its working nowā€¦

Hi @peder

Yes the forked (1.9.3) version of Systemback had NVMe support added (that was itā€™s primary new feature) but like itā€™s support for UEFI it seems to work for some and not othersā€¦ The original Systemback developer quit supporting it a few years ago and in my experience the new fconidi fork has some issues of itā€™s own so I am twisting in the wind right now trying to figure out where to go next as far as ISO creation and an installerā€¦

@kultex1
I know MX Linux is a phenomenal distribution but AV Linux is much more than Debian Linux with a custom kernel and a different logo, I have been working on and ā€˜curatingā€™ its features and for many years now. To simply take MX and install a few packages and remaster it would feel very disingenuous to me. That said I know some folks use our custom AV Linux RT kernels in MX Linux to good results but I donā€™t need to reinvent a wheel that MX has designed so well already.

1 Like

Hi,

This all got me thinking so I went over to ask the folks at the MX Linux forum a few questions about their Remastering tools and they welcomed me with open arms, their live ISO tools are phenomenal, itā€™s based on Debian and itā€™s likely I can bring some multimedia expertise and the AVL kernels and custom tools their way so itā€™s a mutual good fitā€¦ So for anyone reading and interested development has started on AV Linux ā€œMX Editionā€ and hopefully my disappointment (and the end-Users) disappointment with Systemback and other 3rd-party ISO/Installer tools will be a thing of the past! Stay tuned!

1 Like

Hi Glen,

nice to hear, that you think to change to MXLinux.

But just to tell you - here is one ā€œnastyā€ tool in the live persistance tool of Antix and I think also MX-Linux (as fare as I checked, the live tools are the same): make-fstab - it overwrites the fstab, if you you use live-persistance. I think for music and video production its necessary to have a partition, thats bigger than 4 GB. I did not really look into this problem, but I think it is the 4 GB limit in a fat32 partition, because I need my fstab.
https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/installation-antix-on-2-intel-atom-devices/

I found a dirty hack for this problem, which you can see in the last image on page 4 - make a small script for rc.local

sorry, I have to split now my post, because I just can make 2 linksā€¦

I wanted to create a special antiX iso for Intel Atom sticks, tablets and laptops with 1 or 2 GB, which are in the meantime unuseable with windows - but because of illness in the family, this project is postponedā€¦

They use their live-usb-maker tool- https://github.com/BitJam/live-usb-maker and I think, this problem could be easily solved, if they would switch to mkusb
https://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/mkusb/ - maybe you could convince themā€¦

and by the way - you have to use the live-usb-maker tool to create the stick you are working on the new iso - if you use rufus or something else, remastering is not workingā€¦

Hi @kultex1

I think there may be some confusion, MX/AntiX have tools for you to create a custom bootable ISO with persistence from a running USB Key session, but they also have an ā€œMX Snapshotā€ tool to make an ISO from your actual install of MX (not live). If I move AV Linux to MX I would not be using the ā€˜Liveā€™ ISO tools I would be using the Snapshot tools which will generate an ISO that shouldnā€™t need an fstab at all, it should be like most other ISO files from various distributions. I am currently working on tweaking an MX base and have not yet even tried the Live Boot tools, I will like be a couple of months before I even have an alpha ISO to tryā€¦

1 Like

@GMaq, Iā€™m a huge fan of MX Linux so Iā€™m thrilled at this potential spin. MX Linux essentially put a halt to my seeming constant distro-hopping. I keep an eye on Ubuntu Studio and have your AV Linux at hand for use on my laptop in order to utilize the internal HDD for recording on location.

The only thing Iā€™d say is that Iā€™ve fallen out of love with XFCE (at least the MX Linux spin on things) and switched to Plasma which seems lighter on resources, surprisingly. I note also that Ubuntu Studio is moving to Plasma for next release for what itā€™s worthā€¦

1 Like

@anon60445789, I agree with you, that Plasma developed quite nice, but lighter on resources I cannot agree. I have tested Manjaro Arm on the Pi4 with 4 GB - they have a XFCE + a Plasma version - the Plasma Version is definitly quicker, but it is nealy impossible to work with the Plasma version, because you run very quick out of memory. To work with XFCE is no problem - the difference on empty desktop are nearly 2GB - something 1.7 or 1.8, if I remember right.

I think, AV-Linux should run nice on machines with 4 GB

2 Likes

Haha, My first few years were with LXDE and I felt great guilt for burdening the system with a busy and heavy DE like XFCE4 when I moved to it! I know XFCE4 inside and out and for all itā€™s plainness and lack of sex appeal (it reminds me of myselfā€¦ :rofl:) I think as a presentation base to launch all of the great apps like Ardour, GIMP, Blender, and the VIdeo Editors it is perfectā€¦ Itā€™s scalable from 10+ year old machines up to brand new hardware and for remastering and distribution is very logically laid out to retain and pass itā€™s settings on to new systems and I have put endless hours into making Thunar an absolute beast of a helpful File Manager so there will be no move to KDE/Plasma from this guyā€¦ :grinning:

2 Likes

The desktop icons of XFCE with truncated labels drove me a little crazy but thereā€™s probably a way to fix that. At the time I couldnā€™t figure it out apart from making the icon spacing huge. Oh, and the taskbar clock that always seems to get screwed up visually if you change one of its setting :wink: I admit, I love Thunar!

I use XFCE every day and yes the default taskbar clock is not good, but just remove it and install Orage Panel Clock in its place. Orage allows more customization, for example I want to be able to read the clock from a distance and Orage lets me use a huge font. XFCE is very light on resources (Ram, Gpu and processor) and (at least on Manjaro) it has sane defaults. I donā€™t need to tweak almost anything. One of XCFEā€™s best features is it does not get in your way, it just stays in the background and lets you start the programs you use. On the other hand Plasma is not light on resources and the defaults needs a lot of tweaking. This is of course a matter of opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are right, I was misremembering the posting on ubuntustudio.org. I believe they found an increase of ~50MB in ram usage for Plasma vs XFCE. I have 16GB on this machine and reasonably good GPU so the increase is insignificant for me at least. I havenā€™t tweaked anything for the default plasma install from MX package installer but it may be more curated than a stock Plasma. I donā€™t really know.

I will definitely give the Orage clock a try! Certainly when @GMaq produces his ā€œMXā€ edition Iā€™ll no doubt install it trĆØs rapidement.

Whatā€™s wrong with the XFCE taskbar?

The default clock does some weird things if you dare to change the way it displays the time (like completely disappear or develop odd transparency interactions with the underlying taskbar. My further issues are with the desktop icons that truncate the label. If you toggle the ā€œshow full filenameā€ in the MX tweak app, you get multi-line filenames that carriage return in the middle of words :wink: I couldnā€™t figure out a solution other than increasing icon size and spacing to unacceptably high levels. No doubt thereā€™s a fix to be hadā€¦

EDIT: Back on XFCE :wink: Iā€™ll try to figure out the desktop label truncation / carriage return on full issueā€¦

@paul

Perhaps youā€™ve never encountered something working perfectly for you on your system but not working for others on their systemā€¦ :laughing:

2 Likes

@mhartzel

Thanks for the tip on the Orage Clock (reminds me of ā€œOrange Clownā€ but thatā€™s the leader of the free worldā€¦ :rage:) OK, back on topic, youā€™re right it behaves better with hovering and transparency and with some decent fonts can be made quite visibleā€¦ Thanks for the tip!
OrageClock
Teaserā€¦ that screenie is from my AVL-MX Desktopā€¦ Itā€™s going much better than I imaginedā€¦

1 Like

In case anyone is interested in the progress/process of moving AVL to MX Linux here is a screencast discussing itā€¦ Iā€™m always appalled at how long it takes to barely say anything of valueā€¦ :blush: Sometimes I fear I have ā€˜Entsā€™ in my ancestral DNAā€¦

3 Likes

Wow, I canā€™t wait. Please let me know when the alpha is available!

This made me laugh out loud. Nice work, and thanks for sharing.