I'm getting no audio signal from Scarlett 2i4 into Ardour 6 on Ubuntu Studio 20.04

BTW, I have tried several sample rates, buffer sizes and periods, including the default values. None worked.

And to be absolutely clear, this is on vanilla Ubuntu Studio 20.04, installing Ardour 6 from Ardour.org and both trying the Scarlett and the UMC404HD? The next thing to double-check is that you are record-arming and making sure that the input is correct in the mixer strip (not that I had to select anything new when I tried on the laptop/404HD)

The screenshot above is NOT from vanilla Ubuntu Studio 20.04. However, when I did use vanilla Ubuntu Studio 20.04 with Ardour 6 installed from Ardour.org, I saw exactly the same thing. I know that the input is correct; if the Scarlett is not there, I don’t see the input. I did not record-enable. I just plugged an electric guitar into the Scarlett, turned up the gain on the Scarlett so that I saw a response, then looked at the track in Ardour 6. In Ardour 5.12 I saw a response. Is that different in Ardour 6? I will give it a try and see what I get.

I just record-enabled the track and tested it - I did get a response. This is different between Ardour 5 and 6. I have always checked my response in Ardour 5 without the need to record enable. I did not see anywhere in the changes to Ardour 6 (and I did read them), that this was different. For me, this topic can be closed. The problem was my lack of knowledge about how this version of Ardour acts.

1 Like

Hurrah! Glad it is working for you…In 5.12 you must have had auto-input enabled in the session properties? That would automatically monitor live input on transport stop even without recording armed: https://manual.ardour.org/appendix/monitor-modes/

It’s probably some setting you changed in 5.12 and that is as default in Ardour 6. I’m glad you got this sorted out :slight_smile:

Thank you @anon60445789 and @mhartzel for your patience, help and guidance. I was going crazy trying to figure out why Ardour 5 worked and Ardour 6 did not. I’m glad you kept providing suggestions so that I could get it working (and I learned something about Ardour in the process). I’m looking forward to recording with 6.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.