I’m trying to figure out how to properly use the layered recording mode. What I’m trying to do is:
- Have Ardour automatically loop over the same recording section several times until I tell it to stop
- Record 5 to 10 takes within the same track
- Pick and choose the best one out of each segment of the take
- Move on to the next section
The problem is point 3. I cannot figure out how to listen to a take other than the last one. Even selecting one of the previous takes in listening mode still plays back the one that sits on top.
What I can do is drag and drop or right click to move it to the top and then listen to it. But then the whole process of
- Selecting all takes
- Pressing S to cut in the right place
- Moving each bit to the top to listen to it
- Finding the best one
- Manually putting in a crossfade wherever necessary
- Rinse and repeat several times per section
- Memorize which take was which in case you want to come back to it later
- Hope you don’t accidentally move any of the cut bits forward or backwards a tiny bit by mistake
becomes extremely cumbersone and exhausting.
I previously worked with a different DAW where you could simply pick and choose the best bits out of every take by selecting them by clicking and dragging the mouse across a section, then clicking on each one of the takes to listen to the best one. Crossfades would be created automatically and it would always play the highlighted take/section, even if it was all the way at the bottom.
I’m sure there is a similarly easy workflow on Ardour, I just haven’t figured it out yet. So I’m coming to you, asking if you could point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance!