how to instal Jamin under OSX

Fairly certain that my binary is Intel only, I think I had already switched when I built it sorry.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

yeah, I checked your binary when you posted it and knew already it was Intel only. Thanks anyways, I’m sure others have found it useful. I guess the plus with the Fink Jamin is that it sorts out all the deps, even if what the Jamin it actually installs is useless.

Well I can tell you from experience that I don’t use Fink or MacPorts even for compiling my own programs. It tends to cause more headaches than not.

Seablade

@Seablade: I wonder if it would be possible to simlink from /usr/local to /sw or wherever Fink puts it’s JACK? Hmmm…

I appreciate the work you already did, thanks. I’m still on this old PPC machine, so that’s one issue.

The other would be that, when I did try your binary on an Intel Mac, I recall that the GUI was pretty unresponsive. This made it hard to interact with. Perhaps other folks had better luck with it.

@ANYBODY: it’s been five and a half years since this thread got started. Jamin remains a top-notch mastering app from the Linux world, but apparently nobody but me and Seablade and whoever is doing the Fink package are interested in getting this running properly on OS X. Maybe we should make a bounty?

Best wishes!
D.

Jamin remains a top-notch mastering app from the Linux world
Unfortunately not. JAMIN (on linux) is not 'top-notch' and never was.

Arise from the dead, dear thread! (AKA: “I can’t believe he’s still banging on about this…”)

It looks like someone is taking the trouble to maintain Jamin in Fink:

http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/jamin

Last Changed: Tue, 14 Feb 2012

Would anybody be interested in reporting back if this works for them or not? Thx!

Actually, related question: it seems Ardour has the power to start JACK by itself now. Does that mean there is a version of JACK built into Ardour, or does it still call the systems JACK? I ask because the “only” problem I had with Fink Jamin was that the Fink one gets compiled against its own version of JACK instead of what is on the system. If Ardour now has its own internal JACK server, that could complicate things even more…

BTW, Ardour is not in Fink. That might have solved the problem.

@derekh Ardour will use the version of Jack located in /usr/local/

Which in terms of Fink means that it won’t use Fink’s Jack IIRC, and you will have two versions of Jack installed on your machine if you go this route and this is what is known as a BAD IDEA!

Sorry I haven’t had time to work on much coding at all in several years now, and am back on Linux these days for my production work anyways. While I don’t expect the version of Jamin I linked to, to have problems any time soon, I don’t expect to update it either sorry.

Seablade
The other would be that, when I did try your binary on an Intel Mac, I recall that the GUI was pretty unresponsive. This made it hard to interact with. Perhaps other folks had better luck with it.

Nope that is pretty accurate. Any time it was processing audio it was less than responsive, my suspicion came down to a problem in fft but I never had time to truly track it down.

Seablade

Hello, I’m new to Ardour, Jamin and Mac but I’ve managed to build (and start and run) Jamin on OSX 10.7.4. Does anyone need howtos?

I’m using Seablade’s binary now that I have a new Intel Mac on OSX 10.8.2. Seems to work great, much more responsive than I remember on other machines. Only thing is that clicking the spectral view crashes it, I imagine this has to do with incompatibilities with FFTW.

Huh… imagine that.

I haven’t touched the damn thing in years. I am amazed it works at all.

Seablade

I’m surprised too! Happy, but surprised :wink:

hello,

the link for the binary is dead… im wondering if anyone have a backup link …

You may have to ask around, not sure I still have it, I stopped using it some time ago and never got back to updating it, sorry.

Seablade

hello

just asked around… with no result…

Heh looks like I made a backup distribution link, for right now I suppose I will post it here, though please keep in mind I pay for every download of it.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lvavc_public/jamin/Jamin.app.zip

I offer no real support of this these days, sorry. Use at your own risk, I am not responsible if this crashes your computer, melts your hard drive, or eats your children, though I will be curious how that is possible:)

Seablade