how to instal Jamin under OSX

Problem solved (maybe)

Here’s a speculation from somebody who doesn’t really know what he’s doing:

The Jamin build that we downloaded from the Ardour site requires (non-native) Ardour!

I recently switched to the native Ardour (via IRC channel) and noticed that my old Jamin install had the font boxes. I rebuit my font cache and then looked through my logs. There were tons of references to missing pango parts from within the Ardour folder. So I just re-downloaded the current X11 Ardour (2.1 at this time) and put it in the apps folder. Now Jamin is back!!

I hope this helps others.

yeah, that works for anybody who’s reading this

zlp, What exactly is your solution? I have three versions of Ardour installed (2.4.1 X11 and native, 2.5a native) and JaMin does not work, even after running the X11 version.

I removed the post
-johan

I just can’t get Jamin to run properly. When I start x11 first and then run the Jamin binary (from the download link above) it starts fine, but all fonts are those blocks (rectagles).

I am runing Ardour 2.8 native and Jamin 0.95.08

When ist start Jamin from the Terminal ( /Applications/Jamin.app/Contents/MacOS/Jamin ) i get this output:

/Applications/Jamin.app/Contents/Resources/script: line 26: open-x11: command not found Unable to find application named 'XDarwin' 2009-06-10 16:53:23.638 defaults[25888:10b] The domain/default pair of (.GlobalPreferences, AppleCollationOrder) does not exist jamin 0.95.08 (C) 2003-2005 J. Depner, S. Harris, J. O'Quin, R. Parker and P. Shirkey This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details. ConnectPort: can't find mach server port name = jackdmp_entry.501_default err = unknown error code Cannot connect to server Mach port jackdmp 1.9.2 Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others. Copyright 2004-2008 Grame. jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10 JAR: Blacklisted client Xquartz JAR: Blacklisted client Terminal JAR: Blacklisted client loginwindow JAR: Blacklisted client Xcode JAR: Blacklisted client SystemUIServer JAR: Rejected client = jackdmp theme_init() called from internal clearlooks engine

(jamin:25847): Pango-WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically
loaded modules were found. Pango will not work correctly.
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
‘/opt/local/etc/pango/pango.modules’
You should create this file by running pango-querymodules.

(jamin:25847): Pango-WARNING **: pango_shape called with bad font, expect ugly output

(jamin:25847): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_glyph_extents called with bad font, expect ugly output

(jamin:25847): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_metrics called with bad font, expect ugly output

(jamin:25847): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_font_map called with bad font, expect ugly output

(jamin:25847): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_cairo_font_map_get_renderer: assertion `PANGO_IS_CAIRO_FONT_MAP (fontmap)’ failed

(jamin:25847): Pango-WARNING **: _pango_cairo_font_install called with bad font, expect ugly output

(jamin:25847): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_cairo_font_map_get_renderer: assertion `PANGO_IS_CAIRO_FONT_MAP (fontmap)’ failed

I installed pango throught MacPorts and ran pango-querymodules, but it didn’t change anything.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get Jamin to run on my Mac?

The problem is that the package linked to above requires the X11 version of Ardour, which no longer exists.

I have already begun working on a port of it to Native Quartz using GTKOSX, and actually already have it working fine, but the GUI does not respond very well at all if it is already processing audio(About a 5 second latency IIRC). I haven’t figured out what exactly is causing this yet, but if there is interest I will post up a link to what I ahve so far.

Seablade

Thanks for the reply.
Would be nice if you could post a link.

http://misc.leviathan-avc.com/jamin/Jamin.app.zip

I make no promises on it at this point, if you have comments feel free to email me, but I have had to backburner this for a bit to work on things i get paid for;) If you happen to know of a way to improve GUI responsiveness though, let me know and that will likely get implemented ASAP. At t hat point get a hold of me via email is probably best.

Seablade

thanks seablade

Seablade, your a lifesaver!

Just a small note…

I recently reformatted my HD(Don’t worry I am pretty certain I backed up my patches for Jamin), and reran the version of Jamin I posted above. Works as good and bad as I remembered, but I did notice that it still looks for installed LADSPA plugins, so make sure you install those. I have on my list of things to fix to add those particular plugins into the bundle itself so they aren’t needed to be installed seperately, but for the package above, make sure you install them for the time being. I am going to try to get back to Jamin next month if I can. I don’t think that I will have time before then sadly.

Seablade

Your welcome. I am still going to try to get back to it sometime, but it probably won’t happen till next month. I get REALLY busy this time of year.

Seablade

Same here. Why is it that companies want all their biggest development projects done in August?? :wink:

Seablade,

Thanks a million for working on this. I’ve been using the one you posted before (the native version) and even though the GUI is kinda sluggish, it still sounds great.

–Ed–

Hey, I just got a mac :smiley: There great compared to my old pc. I never would of actually bought one though because there so expencive luckly I won won at muulu.com :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a thought, guys…

On OSX, you have all of the Apple AU plugins. So I was thinking…

If I were to combine the AUMultibandCompressor, with the AUGraphicEqualizer, and add a limiter to that, all on the Master track, I would essentially be doing something close to what Jamin does? Seems like that is essentially what Jamin provides. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Sorry for the late post, but just got my OS X setup the way I want it with Ardour and Mixbus.

The one thing you miss above is the Boost section of JAMin, which acts and sounds a lot like the Harrison Mixbus tape saturation, with the Harrison tape sat being quite a bit smoother. So you’d want a valve amp emulator or tape saturation emulation plugin between the Multiband compressor and the Limiter. JAMin’s signal flow is detailed at http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/routes.html and information about each section at http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/uibasics.html (the Boost section is 1.12).

Working over the past few days, I finally got JAMin working on my PowerPC under 10.5. Ultimately: Fink is your friend.

I used both the JAMin site and Derek’s post above as guides. I don’t know if all those packages Derek listed are necessary, I just installed them all; I didn’t mind. The first problem I encountered was with installing fftw3. Basically I resolved that by making sure that Fink was all up to date, and when installing packages note that some stable cvs/rsync sources are more up to date than available binaries. As of today, the fftw3 fink package builds with option --enable-float, so no worries there.

As Derek encountered on his friend’s setup, using:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig

before configuring and building JAMin was necessary so that it could find Jack. Also note that I didn’t want to have conflicting Jack installs, so I only used the JackOsX install, not Fink’s. Also, running JAMin the first time it had some trouble finding some plugins, so I ran:

export LADSPA_PATH=/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA/

as Derek suggested and that worked. Your LADSPA plugins might be somewhere else.

All in all, JAMin works on my machine. Unclear as of yet if my Powerbook 1.6ghz is powerful enough to make it usable. Maybe by the time I get around to mastering I’ll have upgraded to a more powerful setup.

Just noticed Jamin 0.95.0-2 has been added to Fink. Trying it now…

OK, the Fink Jamin is officially an ARRRRG-sh*t-typical-Unix experience. Dragged in tons of updates and deps. Had to free more than 2Gb on my system drive to compile GCC-4.4.4. Took the entire weekend, only to discover that the JACK dep that Jamin pulled in from Fink conflicts with the JACK that JackOSX uses.

Somehow I knew that would happen, I just wanted to see if installing Jamin would be as easy as I thought so that I could recommend it to students of mine using OSX. Nothing is that easy when you have to compile things, so I can’t really recommend this method to anyone until someone works out how to get Fink apps to use JACK from /usr/local/lib without a ton of geekery.

I checked on the Fink list and found a “system-jack” Fink package which still requires modifying the Fink packages to use, but it seems to have fallen out of the distribution since it was created. In any case, hacking debs is not what audio production students want to be doing with their free time, so Jamin is off my list for the next workshops I give anyways.

I’m on one of the last G4 Powerbooks ever made, so begging again for someone to package up a binary would be like asking for snow in June (or a suntan this December!). Ah well, back to the drawing board…