How does ardour 7.2 run on Linux

I’m using ardour 7.2 and mixbus v8.1/8.2 but I noticed some issues both of these apps have on my Mac OS and I’m wondering how linux users are doing. I always had very good performance using ardour and mixbus on Linux then I did on Mac etc.

I find the newer versions have issues with editor section performance, it’s slower when I have tracks added to a session and zooming in and out of audio regions is slower compared to a empty session or. Previous version of the program. Can any Linux users confirm if they have this issue on 7.2
Also how is the performance in the mixer window.

I do want have a Linux setup again one day. Tired of having certain issues with Mac, not just with ardour but other things I have to deal with using a Mac.

1 Like

Try ardour with some Linux !
I never had/will have anything to do with products from Cupertino.
I run ardour on Ubuntu 20.04 on several computers, works fine and reliable.
Ardour (as any program) has its errors inside, but bugs are fixed very fast.

Best regards

An experiment with Ardour 7.2.74 Nightly. Ubuntu 22.04.1. Here are 50 MIDI regions with 8bars long. They were duplicated into 50 tracks. A boring video of the test:

The duplication was made by 5 tracks and the time (of duplication) was increased in such way:
5+5=10 tracks ~25sec
10+5=15 tracks ~30sec
15+5=20 tracks ~30sec
20+5=25 tracks ~37sec
25+5=30 tracks ~50sec
30+5=35 tracks ~60sec
35+5=40 tracks ~75sec
40+5=45 tracks ~90sec
45+5=50 tracks ~115sec

The used memory by Ardour GUI was increased from 0.4 up to 3 Gb.

Very big amount of the vertical mouse scroll lagging when number of tracks become more than 25-30.

But horizontal Ctrl+Mouse-scroll & Shift+Mouse-scroll - works well even with 50 tracks!

Z & Shift+Z & F1, F2… combinations works perfectly good with 50 tracks!! :hotsprings:

For me there is editor lag when dragging and scrolling, but I’m using Mac OS, I was also interested to i see what your could expect when using Linux. Thanks for your post.

Also do you find you have better performance on ardour 7.0 or when version 6.

O. It’s a new task for test! :)). May be I’ll make a more extended test.

Yes that’s could be good! I’ve already had done a 6.9 testing here:

but (compared to the current 7.2) - it’s now not a pure/actual/equivalent experiment. That time it was Ubuntu 20.04 and my MIDI region had another amount of notes.

Resuming things:

1. We need to use the same Midi regions for the experiment.
  2. Test Ardour 6.9, 7.0, 7.2
  3. Add a regions drag testing to the experiment.
  4. Make the same in the Mac OS & Linux.

///May be///

Also I don’t know really how Ardour uses a video card: for example which parameters/drivers must be payed attention…

It’s weird cause when I use ardour there is like no GPU usage from the app until I use a plugin that has a gui

Oops I meant if you find the performance is better in version 7 then it was on version 6

Yes, I think Ardour doesn’t use GPU. But may be some parameters of the internal video card has influence on the GUI actions speed… I don’t know how to check my internal card parameters yet/

Comparing the two experiments, that I’ve already done in videos - I must tell the copying behavior in Ardour 6.9 is faster than in 7.2 - BUT again, I need a pure experiment: to install Ardour 6.9 and test with the same MIDI regions. May be I’ll do^_:)))

Thanks, I hope ardour doesn’t get slower moving forward.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.