EQ10Q V2-Beta4 Released

A new beta of EQ10Q v2 is released. This beta includes a new major feature and fixes some bugs.

The new included feature consists of a de-cramped algorithm for the peaking filter. With these completly new implementation the peak filter have a very accurate resposonse at high freqüencies.

The crash reported when using this plugin in Ardour3 from Ardour website binaries is also fixed.

Have a try and if something goes wrong I would like to know which is your setup/system.

Get it at http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/

I tried building from source on my Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon 64 bit system and it fails with
/usr/include/gdkmm-2.4/gdkmm/window.h:1513:3: error: ‘RefPtr’ in namespace ‘Gdk::Cairo’ does not name a type

I’ll try it ASAP. Thanks!

dsreyes1014@
The error you are descriving could be related with version of gtkmm or also a bug i the beta4.
Please, can you try to build beta3 or beta2 and tell if you found the same problem?

I got the same compile-error as dsreyes1014. I didn’t get it with beta3. Maybe a missing “#include” or “using”?

PS: My system is Fedora 17-64

cmake-output:

– The C compiler identification is GNU 4.7.2
– The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.7.2
– Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
– Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc – works
– Detecting C compiler ABI info
– Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ – works
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
– Found PkgConfig: /usr/bin/pkg-config (found version “0.25”)
– checking for module ‘gtkmm-2.4’
– found gtkmm-2.4, version 2.24.2
– Configuring done
– Generating done
– Build files have been written to: /home/carsten/src/eq10q-2-beta4

@sapista: Generally I’d say the new version is a significant improvement, it certainly addresses some of the problems which I (and some others) identified with it in the past, however (and I know this will sound negative, but its really just to make you aware, if you didn’t know already) there is a potential instability problem with the - public domain - implementation of the decramped filter which you are using, and at least one related issue is (as far as I know) the subject of a patent which might still be held by quite a well known company.

Hi,

@sapista

Thanks for your continued work and the update, it builds and works fine here on AV Linux 6.0.1 (based on Debian Squeeze). The only thing I’ve noticed is that it doesn’t launch as a standalone with JALV unless you specify the ‘jalv.gtkmm’ executable, this isn’t a major problem and it seems to work just fine in Ardour.

For any AV Linux users reading a package is here: http://bandshed.net/avlinux6-debs/eq10-lv2/eq10-lv2_2.0b4avlinux6-1_i386.deb

I have just released a beta4-1 that solves the build problem on some Cairo verisons. You can get it form eq10q.sourceforge.net

dsreyes1014 and dbra @ I think this new beta will fix your problem

@sapista: Where can I get it? On the SF-page is still the old version.

OK, clever as I am, I inserted ‘-1’ into the URL. :wink: It builds fine, but I haven’t tested it yet (it’s already after midnight here) I’ll do it tomorrow. However, you should fix the link…

@sapista: Thanks for update. The build completes now. Testing now!!

FIrst issue I’m having on Ardour-3.2 is I lose sound after adding the eq to a second track. It pops and clicks when I tick stop and play but no sound. When I bypass the plugin I get sound.

@dsreyes1014: I’m trying to reproduce your issue but i can’t. I’ve added 10 tracks and it is working fine. But issues like that must be tracked down because could hide a bigger problem or a random erratic behaviour. Please can you provide more details?

Is someone more experiencing problems like that?

@Sapista: Sure. I’m running Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon x64 with all my packages installed from the KXStudio repos. When I add the the EQ plugin on one track it works fine but when I add the plugin to a second track I get no sound and the plugin on both tracks stop working. When I restart Ardour-3.2 with the plugin on both tracks it doesn’t produce any sound. It’s only when I delete the plugin on both tracks I can get sound back after the restart. The plugin is compiled from source and installed into the ‘/usr/local’ directory. Let me know if you need anything else to help with this bug.

@dsreyes1014: To test your issue I’ve just installed a Linux Mint 15 on my test box (but the i386 version because is an old box with 32 bits processor). I’ve tested it with Ardour 3.2 from KXStudio and Ardour3.2 binary from this website. In both cases I can not reproduce your problem. Is this bug manifesting every time you add a plugin to a new track? Or is a random problem that arrises sometimes without any patern? Do you found some way to reproduce it? Also, which is your version of gcc?

Is anyone here experiencing these kind of problems with EQ10Q or any other plugin?

@sapista: Not sure about this issue in particular but it wouldn’t be the first time “these kind of problems” come up only on x64 because of compiler differences. I think it happened a few centuries ago with the venerable Freeverb 3 plugin. I would look closely at the compilation log.

If everything else fails you can make a version that prints the calculations at every step and there you’ll see where the initial NaN is being generated which should give you a good clue about the cause of the problem.

@Xperienced: Very interessting I’ve never heard about these kind of issues but for sure can be the problem of eq10q. To fix it I’ve used valgrind over eq10q dsp code. Using the valgrind output and code revison i’ve decided to do a minor changes that could fix the issue.

@dsreyes1014: I’ve done some tweaks that can fix the problem. Please, can you test the new modifications on last svn version (rev 86)? You can use the following command to get it:

svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/eq10q/code/trunk@86 eq10q-code-r86

@sapista: Just installed it now. Testing it later tonight.

@sapista: It seems to be working now. One thing to note, I noticed when sweeping frequencies I would get subtle static and popping noise on some tracks not all. Overall seems to be working pretty good.