Detach track visibility in Editor, Mixer and Cue

Hi all,

I really like the ability to hide certain tracks from the Cue window, while they are still visible in the Mixer.

This is done by unchecking them in the C column of the Editor List window.

Would it be possible to add two more columns here to make tracks hide or show on Editor and Mixer separately also?

Maybe a tri-state field on each column could serve this purpose. By default, the state is null or undefined, which means Ardours default behaviour is applied to the tracks visibility. If the user checks or unchecks the field with purpose, its state changes to true respectively false.

Additional context menu entries could reset all custom edited states to null or undefined to return to Ardours default behaviour.

Does this make any sense? For me it would be a game changer for usability and clarity. I could just focus on the tracks that are important to me in the context of Editor, Mixer or Cue.

On the next level there could be a Scenes Editor that enables saving and loading of customized track visibility to support different workflows while producing.

What do you think?

Cheers

We used to have separate visibility between editor and mixer, it caused lots of confusion IIRC. Not sure i would rush back to that personally without strong demand for it.

Seablade

Hi Seablade,

I think you remember correctly. I came across a topic questioning kind of the same issue here:
Hide track in Edit but not in Mix?

But what was the problem with this functionality? Was it difficult to program it to be user-friendly? What exactly was confusing users? And why is it different from the cue window?

Do I miss something here?

The issue was a user experience issue, many users got confused by tracks being hidden in one view and not the other. I could make the argument that the mixer and edit page are in Ardour’s UI a bit more closely related than say the edit and cue page so that would be the difference, but honestly haven’t thought about it to much.

Seablade

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.