Decent Sampler closes Ardour instantly

I have seen this mentioned before, but it seems like those issues were mentioned to be fixed?
Linux Debian based distro
Ardour 8.6
Decent Sampler 1.11.12 (I tried Static & Dynamic versions)

The second a MIDI track is created containing Decent Sampler, Ardour closes out instantly.
Wondering if any other users can confirm this.
If this is a bug, can someone report this.

Thank You

1 Like

Bug confirmed.

I can’t say yet whether it’s Decent Sampler or Ardour, but I have used the version of DS that I have (1.11.7) with older versions. It continues to work with Ardour 7.5 for example.

That doesn’t prove that it is Ardour’s fault, but it makes it a bit more likely.

I’ve reported the bug to the DS bug tracker, since it appears to a memory management problem in DS.

https://decentsamples.com/bugtracker/view.php?id=122

I fetched the static version of DS 1.11.12 and despite the information described in the bug report, it does manage to run and not crash my local build of Ardour.

1 Like

Static vst3, crash with Ardour from openSUSE repo.

ArdourGUI[4375]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fea51da8cbc sp 00007fea8cbff5a0 error 4 in DecentSampler.so[7fea51800000+de1000] likely on CPU 9 (core 1, socket 0)

Does it crash with Ardour from this website?

Yes with 8.6.252 (latest nightly). Same error.

Ahhh thank you everyone for confirming this bug, hopefully it will be fixed soon, I have not tried anything yet.
Also thank you Paul specifically, for filing a bug report for this, I appreciate it.

DS 1.11.14 static and dynamic vst3 still crashing in ardour 8.6.300, whether placed in ~/.vst3 or /usr/lib/vst3

Thank you Paul for filing the bug report.
v1.11.17 static still crashing in Ardour 8.6.
I miss my DS libraries :cry:

sfizz will load them.

1 Like

Woooaaah I didn’t know it was possible, thank you so much. You saved me a lot of frustration.

Hello everyone, I’m starting to use ardour 8.6.0, although I’m still using 8.2.0 until I finish some projects that are very advanced in that version.

My system is ubuntunstudio 22.04lts

At the moment I have found problems with decentsampler in ardour 8.6.0, specifically only the following versions of decentsampler work for me:

Decensampler 1.9.4 (which is the version I use in ardour 8.2.0)
Decensampler 1.9.17
Decemsampler 1.10.0
Decemsampler 1.11.0

At the moment I have left version 1.9.4 and 1.11.0, and if I’m not mistaken they are the dynamic versions.

But these versions take a long time to open the browser between 15 and 30 or 40 seconds until you can select the instrument you want, this is a problem that slows down a lot.

Versions above 1.11.0 seem to not work with ardour 8.6.0, at least in my case ardour crashes unexpectedly.

I always download Ardour from Download Ardour | Ardour Community.

I don’t know if this information is helpful to anyone who uses decensampler, but I leave it here.

greetings.

Thank you for all the responses / testing.
I also tried this recently and both the static & dynamic versions still do not work.
Little unclear, is this an Ardour issue or a DS issue?
Does anyone know if the DS developer responded to the bug report?
Has been about 2 months now, so was just curious if anyone has at least been able to narrow down the cause of the issue.

Thank You

I tried to go to the link Paul mentioned above about filing bug report with Decent Sampler but it appears you need a MantisBT account to view it.
Does anyone with such an account see any activity with the bug report?
Wonder if the DS developer responded to the report at all?

Thank You

David has not responded so far.

Paul
Ahh that is unfortunate, thank you Paul for looking this up for me.

Paul, Robin, Any other users interested
I tested out DS 1.11.17 Static VST3 in Carla & Qtractor and it works in both.
Is this memory error just specifically how DS interacts with Ardour?

Thank You

EDIT:
Strange I just tried the following plugin that was mentioned on this forum

and noticed that it does the same thing as Decent Sampler where it closes Ardour instantly. Not sure if the issues are in any way related?
Do any of the users experiencing this issue with DS experience the same issue when trying this Ratatouille plugin? Probably not related but if anyone is willing to give this a try.

I cannot update my post above but I noticed a couple things.
Doing more testing of this in Carla & Qtractor.
As mentioned the other day they both worked, but this is not always the case.
Now I am noticing that when DS is added in these programs they close as Ardour does.
Only sometimes does DS load up without closing them.
Sometime after DS loads up if you open up the GUI window the second time then it closes the application.

Strange that an issue that prevents the plugin from working entirely on Linux would not be addressed by now?

Also kind of strange that the best instrument format plugin available for Linux is a closed source proprietary plugin, so no one else can offer a fix.

Anyways, just thought I would point out that my above reply tests results are not always correct and that more often than not DS closes other Linux based applications as well when inserted. As Paul mentioned it appears to be a “memory management problem” which I believe that I have confirmed is not specific to DS interaction with Ardour itself, but all Linux applications.

Thank You