Custom MCU Overlays for Ardour *edit: template link*

Edit: For template download thread go HERE

I recently acquired and old school Mackie Control that did not have the Logic control layout that is used in Ardour nomenclature. I discovered that not only can you not find a Logic lexan anywhere, the PDFs Mackie used to provide are no longer available (with the exception of a few on Wayback machine.)

So long story short I’m working on some custom overlays for my mixer and figured I would share them here for anyone who might want to use them.

This is a 300 dpi version with the “stock” labels. I have 600 and 1200 dpi versions also, and I have a huge GIMP project with tons of layers with all the default options labeled. I’ll try to post links to the other files as I get them ready.

1 Like

This is awesome. Please do make the XCF’s or whatever available. I have an MCU sitting in front of me all the time. We’ve tried to make the Mackie Control support behave in a way that is as close to the default button labels as possible, but even without any customization, this isn’t trivial to do. It would be very nice to have some overlays that exactly match both the standard Ardour bindings and any user-built custom ones. Thanks!

I’m just about to go out of town for a couple days, but I’ll put the XCF up next week. I laid it out with layer groups for each section and individual labels so it would be easy to extend/modify. It already has re-worded labels for all the Ardour functions I could find (mc.profile & Mixbus manual :wink:) just have to hide the default label layers and show the custom layers for each section.

I’m planning on printing these on magnetic photo paper, so we’ll see how that goes.

This is what I’ve come up with for the out-of-the-box settings. Am I missing anything? I saw a Shift+Solo= line in the Mixbus manual that pointed to nothing and I can’t determine if it does anything or not.

1 Like