Creating a MIDI velocity lane

A few people have asked for a velocity lane feature and I couldn’t find this posted before, so here’s a way of getting a velocity lane that looks like this:

It requires a plugin called “MIDI Velocity adjust” which I believe is included with Ardour (correct me if I am wrong). Have this placed in front of any instrument in the chain.

To get this to work, you need to set all the velocities of the notes to 127. This can be done by group selecting with the edit tool and pressing V.

Press the A automation button on the track, go to processor automation and open the “Note On Max” lane on the MIDI velocity adjust plugin. Set the drop down to “play”. You can now use the draw tool to edit the velocity in the lane.

This is for monophonic editing, so it won’t excite lollipop fanatics. .

And what about something like this? :wink:

4 Likes

I’m only interested in lollipops you put in your mouth :smile:

It’s a nice workaround but is still a workaround.

The official ardour mastodon account recently posted about this: Ardour DAW: "Lollipops are coming to the next release, kudos t…" - Fosstodon

3 Likes

Fantastic! This will be a game changer.

I wonder how they are handling chords…

1 Like

My screenshot was taken from this dev branch. :slight_smile: There is still a lot to do, I think. There is no selection and manipulation of multiple/all lollipops (yet, I hope), the tool for making crescendo/decrescendo is missing… I hope this will be a real deal and not a kind of “prosthesis”.

1 Like

Indeed, also not particularly useful for drum editing, I would hazard to guess and in my own case it’s drum editing that is one of the most driving use cases for individual note lollipops but of course drawn crescendo’s and decrescendos are a big one too. Like you I will be interested to see what the chord handling innovation will be.

1 Like

Well, this is not true. Sorry for misleading you:

ardour-lollipop-decrescendo

5 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: gr8!

I don’t know if I’ve ever been so excited about a future Ardour release (and I’ve seen quite a few)… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

With Ardour and Mixbus already being phenomenal Audio sequencers for many years I think this vital MIDI addition in tandem with the recent Cue work and improved tempo map stuff is going to potentially endear Ardour and Mixbus to a much wider Audience…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.