AV Linux 2020.4.10 Released!

Hello Ardour friends!

Just passing along the release of AV Linux 2020.4.10 with the demo version of Mixbus32C 6, Ardour 5.12 and literally more than 1000 great Linux Audio Plugins all in a tuned RT Linux Audio and Video workstation OS. (It was difficult to obey the request of @paul to NOT provide an Ardour 6 build but I try to be a good citizen… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

6 Likes

Please note that the Bytemark mirror is not up to date yet. It will update shortly after 13:00 UK time (about two hours to go as I post this) and will be at https://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/avlinux when it’s ready (the 2019 version is still there.) I have no control over the time of day when the Bytemark mirror server does its daily rsync update.

I can confirm that Ardour 6 pre-01 installs and runs fine on AV Linux 2020, as far as I’ve tested it.

1 Like

Bytemark mirror (UK) is now updated!

1 Like

@anahata

Thank you very much for testing and hosting to sync with the Bytemark mirrors!

Amazing work! Thanks so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Glen, and thanks for the work, I donwloaded it and will give a try in live mode then with a new hdd asap as I want to keep my existing setup working.

Excuse me for that off-topic question, but is your rt kernel available and is it ok to run on an ubuntu studio 19.10?

1 Like

Hi @Sahaathyva

Thanks! Hopefully you like what you see. Yes the AV Linux Kernels have their own Repository and they should theoretically work with Ubuntu and other Debian variants. They are built on Debian and to be honest we don’t have much feedback from Users outside AV Linux but they are just Deb packages so if you enable the Repository and install them and they don’t work you can always boot into your existing Kernel and uninstall them like any other Debian Package…

Repository info is here: http://www.bandshed.net/av-linux-kernel-repository/

1 Like

Thanks!

I did a try last night and it didnt worked…
I had a try few days ago with a kernel I compiled and it was the same : patching compiling and cp of the files to /boot were ok but update-grub is kind of blind and sees only the stock ubuntu studio lowlatency kernels…

Did the test last night with a fresh ubuntu-studio and your kernel and it was the same, I assume the problem is with the ubuntu studio, will try with the future 20.04lts.

Btw I found a spare hdd @ home and installed your distro on it, seems good, will just have to tune xfce my way and will use it for some days to see how it is working with my setup.

Will give you a feedback :wink:

Hi GMaq,
despite than AVL 202.4.10 doesn’t provide Ardour6, is it possible to compile it from nightbuild inside the new AVL? Meant, does AVL2020 include all dependencies for it?
Thanks!

Salut Strat,

Well just give it 1 try ir maybe be a donator to ardour.org then you can download the precompiled pack :wink:

Hi @stratojaune!

AV Linux does contain many dependencies for building most programs however since they started their nightly build service and since they don’t support “distro builds” of Ardour I haven’t actually compiled Ardour in a few years so I don’t have a specific answer for you.

apt-get build-dep ardour in a Root terminal should look after any potential missing dependencies before building though…

Thanks for your quick answer @GMaq :slight_smile:

I’ll give it a try, have fun!

Two deps are missing: libtag1-dev and librubberband-dev.

apt-get build-dep ardour complained about “Unable to find a source package for ardour” but ./waf configure ran happily after first running
apt update && apt install libtag1-dev librubberband-dev

I was using the Live USB so I don’t know if the build-dep command works as intended after installing.

On debian system, that will give you the packages to build Ardour5.
Ardour6 has a few more (optional) build-deps. libreadline-dev, libwebsockets-dev and libpulse-dev.
Best check the output of waf configure and compare it to the build log.

@peder & @x42 Nice to read that guys, thanks for the hints :slight_smile:

Hi Peder!

The ISO comes with a cleaned packages cache so if you didn’t reload the package lists it probably won’t find any sources for anything, good to know from you and @x42 about those few missing deps, I’ll include them in future releases so they all are present for those who may want to roll their own Ardour

Hi Glen !

I sadly gave up AVL after 3 days of use :frowning:

Not a pure distro problem, but 2 or 3 little things :

-The RT-Kernel didn’t improve the latency performance for my setup VS the Low Latency one I usually use, maybe I expected too much on that point
-It was really a strugle for me to recover my projects in ardour, weird behavior with my LV2 presets(some fine, some lost)
-Ardour gave me much more midi bugs, esp with the loop mode, than on my usual distro,I don’t understand but that was really annoying for my point of view as I use and abuse the loop mode in my midi writing workflow to preview audio.
-Had some problems with the locales too

After 3 days fightingt against those problems I choosed to go back to my usual setup as I did more maintenance than music.

It’s really not an AVL fault but I think that’s me, who maybe expected too much of that try, esp with the latency improvement :wink:

About your distro, here is my little feedback :

-Looks vanished, nice DE setup, I would just find more convenient to get an extra taskbar on the upperside of the desktop.
-Installed it with no matter at all, but I think that for the non tech-savvy ones , the restore-tool can be confusing, esp when dealing with gparted , maybe could the manual be auto-displayed when live-booting before installation
-The manual is fine and well written
-Synaptic gave me some broken things at the first refresh, something dealing with Cinerella I think

I take one lesson after this adventure, it is that distro-rolling is not to be lightly made in the audio production world, especially when you already have a working setup, as it takes much time to make your tools work smoothly again, and I prefer giving my time to music than system maintenance.

But after-all that was an interesting experience for me :wink:

Keep your good work!, your distro is nice , it was maybe not the right time for me to jump in, but be sure I will follow AVL closer now !

Please forgive my bad english, It was an attempt to give you a feedback from someone who really discovered AVL this time.

à bientôt , cheers !

Hi @Sahaathyva

Thank you for taking the time to take a look at AVL and give some feedback… Obviously AVL is not ideal for everyone and “never touch a working system” is always a good rule in the case of your existing setup. “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!” And BTW your English is great! Much better than my French would be!

A few responses…

There are two huge misconceptions about RT kernels… one is that everybody needs them and the other is that nobody needs them… In my own experience using Linux for Audio production since 2006 or so it is often the case that a ‘lowlatency’ kernel will equal and on rare occasions exceed the performance of an full preempt RT Kernel with certain hardware, in fact often with Firewire and PCI devices there was often little difference, for me personally my first USB-2 Audio device was a Presonus 1818VSL and it’s performance without RT was quite terrible with a lowlatency kernel and could be cut in half with an RT Kernel with no other configuration tweaks… RT does not guarantee best performance but it offers better potential for systems that benefit from it.

To be clear our custom AV Linux kernels come in both RT and lowlatency variants so once AVL is installed it is easy to install our lowlatency if the RT is not required. As for the Ardour MIDI performance issues I’m a bit baffled to be honest, the Ardour build on AVL 2020 is the official 5.12 release in KXStudio packaging (KX Studio uses the official Ardour bundles with some formatting into Deb packages). To be honest in my own experience I’ve had to give up on Ardour MIDI for now but it is extremely odd to see different MIDI performance issues using the same Ardour version, obviously by the excellent work you’ve shown here in the Made with Ardour forum you are quite adept at using MIDI in Ardour so I don’t really have an answer for that…

To the cosmetic stuff… well you can never get that right, if I make it too modern traditional users are annoyed if I make it old school young people think it’s out of date… I set it up how I like to use it and offer detailed info in the User Manual about how to customize to your own taste.

What in particular wasn’t satisfactory about changing the locales? That is something I never do so I’d be interested to know… As an example the AV Linux Assistant is my own tool and is only written in English at this point in time so a change of locales would not affect most of the customized scripts and convenience tools in AV Linux.

Thanks again for your time in testing and providing feedback, I’ll look forward to more great music from you!

Best, Glen

1 Like

Well ,

About kernel it was a toss and i dreamt too much :smiley: with my laptop and focusrite perfs are nearby the same: i can go with p3 s128 on little projects and 256 runs fine on bigger, the fault of many synths and plugs + an old lenovo t440 i use, by the way thats fine enough at the moment

Custom is custom every human beings has his pov for this and xfce is really cutomable so that is not really a point

Ardour midi bugs : I dont understand myself to be honest, I ll give a try @ v6 official package in future but maybe its too soon, i m afraid of the changing projects structure, i want to be able to rely on my started projects in the future

Locales : some softs dont take care and must be updated themselves to translate , not a matter for me, just to mention it :wink:

And thanks for listening to my works, appreciate ! I too listen rated blue since the cover of Neil Young , very nice work, keep it up please.

Btw my audio setup will remain the same for years as I think its stable and fine for now.

But be sure that when I update it, Avl will get a ne try from me.

Cheers

Hi Gmaq, your system is a great compilation and custom system.

But I never can use the system because in 3 different releases this don’t start pulseaudio correctly, (start and restart all the time while the system is open). I want to use your kernel but this is impossible to me, the internal card is disabled and the configuration is the same I use in UbuntuStudio (RME Raydat card) but don’t work, any idea on the problem?

Thanks for your system again.