AV Linux 2020.4.10 Released!

@bocho999 bocho
Hi,

The only difference between AV Linux and other distributions is it’s use of a “pajackconnect” script to seamlessly pipe the PulseAudio sinks in and out of JACK, for most people this works very well at invisibly getting everything working together as soon as you start JACK with your selected Audio device with Qjackctl. Perhaps for some reason this setup configuration doesn’t work with your Raydat card…? You certainly don’t have to use Qjackctl with “pajackconnect” all you have to do is uncheck these boxes in the Qjackctl ‘Setup’–>‘Options’ tab and then start JACK with your Raydat selected as you normally would, that way your system will be working like any Debian-based system does by default with JACK and Qjackctl installed.

Further explanation in Page 77 of the AV Linux User Manual: http://www.bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2020UserManual.pdf

Hi @GMaq

I also wanted to give this new release a shot :smile:
I must say it looks very polished, lots of improvements. You definitely put a lot of time and effort in this.

I had no real troubles setting it up, although I must say I’m not a big fan of Xfce. Some daily-used tools (Mousepad, Thunar) are too ‘lightweight’ IMHO, but then again easily replaced / customized (which you already did for us :+1: )

Some very small remarks I want to mention:

• using the AVL assistant, you can only select 1 locale for language / keyboard ? For example, I use en_GB for language & nl_BE for keyboard. After adding the 2 locales I only had EN options for keyboard settings (because of LANG ?).
  • AVL user manual: I think there’s a screenshot missing on pg.78-79 about auto-start qjackctl ? It also mentions ‘Patchage’ which wasn’t installed by default
  • Sometimes (not always) I get a screen to enter root password when shutting down
  • I can only boot with ‘nomodeset’ parameter, otherwise I can’t use any of the logout / shutdown options… But I think that’s a problem with my particular hardware, weird ACPI stuff I suppose…

I may have found a small bug though, maybe you can advise / look into it ?
At initial startup & login, everything works fine. However after logging out and than immediately logging back in, I get this:

• volume control in the panel shows ‘muted’ icon (no output)
  • opening Audio mixer shows screen: “Establishing connection to PulseAudio. Please wait…” and never progresses.
  • Qjackctl messages shows: “No pulseaudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.”

As a fix, I used the command ‘pulseaudio --start’ in terminal and re-started Jack. It seemed fine again after that.

All-in-all I’m very eager to get started, also with new Mixbus 32c and Ardour 6 on the way… exciting times :smile:

Confirmed here: I installed the low latency kernel and found I can get exactly the same latency performance as RT, at least in a simple Ardour 4 channel recording test. Buffer size 64 (1.3ms latency) works perfectly, size 32 the ALSA driver doesn’t start at all. That’s with an RME PCI-E card. I suppose I’d have to try lots of channels to see if one breaks before the other.

2 Likes

Hi @BartVaes

Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to give AVL a shot…

A couple of the things you’ve mentioned have been noted before (like the first run PulseAudio thing) but only by people who have installed new locales. (I never test non-EN locales personally so feedback is valued). I had removed Patchage from AVL 2020 since it is really not needed with a ‘monolithic’ workflow very much and I missed editing that section of the manual as completely as I should have so thanks for noticing that too…

Can you tell me if you installed from a Live Session or whether you installed from the Systemback boot screen? I can’t trigger the PulseAudio not starting thing here…

More context on page 3 and 4 of this thread here:
https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21286&start=45

1 Like

I installed using the Systemback tool. Thanks for the forum link, I’ll keep an eye on that :slight_smile:

For those who have installed AV Linux 2020 please see this blog post of Known Issues:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.