Ardour Session using 2 ASIO devices

I need to make an Ardour session using 2 different ASIO devices at the same time : a Zylia ZM1 Microphone as Input and a RME Madiface as Output.

Both are detected as ASIO devices. The session works fine when I set ZM1 as Input&Output, or Madiface as Input&Output.
But when I configure the session using ZM1 as Input and RME Madiface as Output, I get the error “failed to open audio device”.

How could I set such a session ? (I’m using Windows 10 with 64 bits)

Thanks for any help !

Depending on the audio backend, this may not be possible, sadly I don’t know the ASIO backend well enough to know if it is or not having only used it a few times.

Seablade

At this point in time (Ardour 5.12) Ardor only supports a single device at a time.

I think you cannot do that with Ardour.

In order to support multiple devices ardour will have to re-sample at audio of at least one device (assuming they don’t share the same clock-source).

On MacOS(X) Coreaudio offers this (resample, use one device as master-clock). On Linux a 3rd party application can be used with JACK: see http://jackaudio.org/faq/multiple_devices.html

Perhaps there is some software for Windows 10 that creates a virtual ASIO device that consists of multiple actual soundcards? If so, that would be a solution.

1 Like

I’m a Linux user, but my buddy who is using 5.12 on Windows seems to be having great success with an application called ASIO4ALL. He has been able to use multiple “soundcards” as inputs and another soundcard as his output. It seems JACK-like in that it acts like routing matrix for anything and everything recognized as a audio source and/or sink by the OS. Again, I haven’t used it personally, but he definitely seems happy with it.

1 Like

I didn’t know that ASIO4ALL can combine multiple soundcards into an aggregate device. That’s awesome!

1 Like

Thanks a lot ! I was thinking about Jack but it doesn’t seem to run properly on Windows. I’ll take a look at ASIO4ALL and let you know if I can make it work !

1 Like

I’ve tried this solution, but it doesn’t seem to be straightforward. My devices are actually not detected by ASIO4ALL.
Could your buddy explain the main steps ?

Thanks anyway :slight_smile:

I just reached out to him. When I get a response, I’ll let you know.

In the meantime, check out this article. The first section is installing which I think you have already done, but the second section describes how to set it up with your soundcard and DAW.
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/installing-and-using-asio4all-for-windows/

1 Like

Okay, he says the “only trick” is that when you install you have to “check the config box that the installer says ‘is useless’”. Whatever that means, heh.

1 Like

Hi all I’m “The Buddy”. A little background. I have used ASIO4All to combine my Scarlet 6i6, Roland Duo Capture EX, Roland TR8 (which has like 15 different inputs and a couple outputs) so I can use all of them on Ardour at once. The only issue I have there is with SO many devices, and the Focusrite having its own ASIO, the software crashes unless you increase the buffer to a point where the lag is a bit too much for me.

Now - to your issue Sonorhc, can you post your windows “audio devices” screen as a screenshot? or tell me what is on there? That’s the first place to start.

3 Likes

Cant you do that with jack and ardour on windows?

As far as I know, Jack is not stable on Windows

Hi A Wadekar aka “the Buddy” !

I guess this solution will be fine for me, I don’t need synchronization, big buffers are still OK.
I have reinstalled ASIO4ALL using the trick (check “Off Line Settings” during installation) plugged my ZM1 microphone (having its own ASIO) and run Ardour with ASIO4ALL as Input/Output.
The caption shows what I got with ASIO4ALL : no sign of a ZM1 microphone.

ASIO4ALL

Are you running the ZM1’s ASIO? I believe A is running the ASIO that his Scarlett requires alongside ASIO4ALL.

I’m not sure if I well understand your question :thinking:
I can use the ZM1 as an ASIO device on Ardour, I did some recordings with the ZM1 (19 input channels), it works fine. But I’d like to use the Madiface for Output (64 channels with its own ASIO too).

Okay, when you said the ZM1 has its own ASIO I thought you meant ASIO software. Like the Focusrite Scarlett interface has its own software, so A had to run that software as well as ASIO4ALL to get the whole thing to work.

It is, I use it, no problems, no crash. But programs don’t usually support it so there will be no jack transport sync. I don’t know how to set that up but programs will see jack as a fake soundcard. Like an extra layer with but with no extra latency.

It doesn’t seem to be possible to use ZM1 in ASIO4ALL then ?

I’ll have a second look on Jack but so far it never worked well on my computer