Ardour not launching with Jaunty Studio fresh install

I’ve done a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio Jaunty on hardware that ran Ardour great under 8.10. I launch Jack and then try and launch Ardour but there’s no response - no errors, nothing. System monitor doesn’t show anything Ardour. Any clues?

Thanks

Paul

AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+, 3081MB, Ubuntu 9.04, M Audio Delta 1010LT, ATA Maxtor 7L300R0, ATA ST3250624A

I didn’t know there was an alternative installation process for nvidia drivers; I’m happy to give AVL2 a go if it’ll run out of the box or you can kindly point me to the right place. I have a GeForce4 MX 440-8X and the nvidia drivers page points me to their 96.43.11 legacy driver.

I have 64Studio b3 on the machine at the moment and it’s working ok, save for my inability to get dual monitors up and running - that’s the only reason I want the video card running well. I don’t mind a minimal interface as long as I can run dual monitors and virtual desktops.

pleasebeus

AV Linux 2.0 uses the sgfxi Nvidia graphics installer, which is different than what Ubuntu uses. What Nvidia card do you have? Also bear in mind that 3D drivers for Video are not recommended for -rt Audio Recording setups. I’m not saying it doesn’t work it’s just generally not recommended.

If you find AV Linux too minimal hold off until next week I’m going to release an updated ISO with a choice of LXDE and XFCE and a few additions and updated applications.

Yeah, fair point. I didn’t think dual head was a particularly big deal but yes, I could easily pick up another card. I think it’s just the idea of slogging through another “does-it-work, doesn’t-it-work, what-will-fit” effort that prevents me :slight_smile:

check that jack is running. Maybe I am wrong but some ppl complained that the usual realtime system configuration does not come by default … (audio group, /etc/security/limits.conf, etc).
After having browsed the ubuntu multimedia production forum for a while, it is my understanding that this version of Ubuntu Studio is not a big success … if you’re after producing music and not caring about tweaking linux day in day out, you’d better go for 64 Studio. It’s linux, it’s debian, it’s stable and it works, that is, if you don’t have a fancy laptop with a fancy wifi card and other gizmos driven by MS drivers only.

You can also derive some good tips from Dave Phillips’ article on the matter :

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/judgement-day-studio-dave-tests-ubuntu-studio-904

Jack seems fine; I’m listening to Audacious through it. At least it says it’s using the Jack output plugin. And Jack reports I’m running RT, no problem.

My setup is pretty basic and audio driven though I do want to attach an A3 printer and get Gimp etc running nicely with it so Ub Studio seemed the obvious choice.

try to launch ardour from a terminal, just type:

ardour2

OK, some useful information which rings a bell from history:

WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs
out of memory. You can view the memory limit with ‘ulimit -l’, and it
is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

/usr/lib/ardour2/ardour-2.7.1: error while loading shared libraries: libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ulimit -l gives me 2064446 - surely that’s enough?!

the problem is that ardour do not find the libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1
try to run:

sudo updatedb

first, and than:

locate libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1

or

locate libgnomecanvasmm

and see if the library is installed.

than see further…

cheers,
doc

updatedb didn’t do anything but locate found the lib;

it’s in /usr/lib/libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1.0.6

updatedb updates the filesystem file DB for locate to give an up-to-date account :slight_smile: It usually runs in the background, triggered by a cron job, once in a while (once a day I think). It’s not vital though :slight_smile:

strange …

maybe you can do something a bit more geekish:

ldd /usr/lib/ardour2/ardour-2.7.1 | grep gnomecanvasmm

and see what it says.

And this by the way:

ls -l /usr/lib/libgnomecanvasmm-2.6*

(don’t forget the * at the end so just copy paste my command line).

All up for geekiness :slight_smile:

ldd /usr/lib/ardour2/ardour-2.7.1 | grep gnomecanvasmm says:

libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1 => not found

and here’s the ownership / permissions stuff:

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 268444 2009-03-05 11:33 /usr/lib/libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1.0.6

I’m not logged in as root btw - is that it?

no, the problem looks like you do not have the symbolic link

/usr/lib/libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1 -> /usr/lib/libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1.0.6

just do this:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1.0.6 /usr/lib/libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1 and start ardour again

There are two possibilities:

1) You've messed around with your system and broken 1 or more system packages
2) This needs to be filed as a bug with Ubuntu since the packaging of Ardour appears to be broken.

Either way, its not something directly related to Ardour, only to either your system in particular, or Ubuntu Jaunty’s packaging of Ardour.

Well, it’s a fresh install save for me trying (unsuccessfully so far) to get the nvidia legacy driver going.

Having done the symlink, trying to launch Ardour now gives me:

WARNING: Could not check your glib-2.0 for mutex locking atomic operations.

Segmentation fault

try this:

ldd /usr/lib/ardour2/ardour-2.7.1 | grep "not found"

if you find some stuff, your fresh install is flawed …

This is the only thing:

/usr/bin/ldd: line 117: 12848 Segmentation fault LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS=1 LD_WARN= LD_BIND_NOW= LD_LIBRARY_VERSION=$verify_out LD_VERBOSE= “$@”

Bad?

perhaps a lot of people will not agree with me, but all this ‘ready to go’ repository packaged stuff tends not to work… at least in my experience.
i would advice you to build ardour by your self from the sources you 'll find in the download section.
here in the forum, there is at least one nice description of how to do this. i think thorgal wrote this once…

cheers,
doc

fair enough, but whilst I’m up for some Linux geekery I’d rather get audio recording stuff done and in my experience up to now packages in repos, auto updating are IMO very good things.

So, with my seg fault, do I reinstall? If that’s what it needs, I’ll be giving Studio 64 a shot

Something is pretty deeply wrong with your system, certainly. Its unfortunate that most new Linux users imagine that all distributions are created equal, regardless of your actual needs or goals - even if this should be true (debatable), it certainly is not true at present. Give 64Studio a shot - I think you will find it works better for you in most ways.