Ardour not launching with Jaunty Studio fresh install

Paul, you were reading my mind.

I’m not a particularly new Linux user - have had Vector running happily on an old lappy for a few years now. I just don’t spend too much time under the hood as I’ve other things in my life.

I’ve already d/l’d the live cd and it seems to run ok so far; am now installing…

since I foolishly decided to upgrade from Ubuntu Studio 8.1 to 9.04 a couple of weeks back I’ve had a hellish time; mostly to do with trying to recover my old work as I didn’t have a separate /home partition. Well, after buying a new HD I now have separate partitions a-plenty and I’ve learnt how to use the partitioner - sthg that bemused me with its lack of logic before.

I’d say it’s almost mandatory to have a separate /home partition if you want to recover easily from a fright like I’ve had.

If the stable 64Studio looks too oldish for you, you may want to try Debian Lenny and install Pure:Dyne over it (works very good for me).

As of now Ubuntu Jaunty is only usable for audio, if you are able and willing to build the stuff that matters(including the kernel…) from source…

AV Linux 2.0

www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

AV Linux 2.0 has been developed with the philosophy that the Operating System should be as resource efficient as possible to ensure that the most Memory and CPU be available to the Applications themselves

Nice principles; I might give it a go. All these distros seem to be great at running my 1010LT; my trouble is with Nvidia as their installer for my 96.x legacy driver isn’t working with the latest kernels. I’ll have to check first if it works with the 2.6.29 that’s in AVLinux2 (I don’t think it will).

It’s all very well setting up a distro that’ll operate on older machines but sadly it’s not just about CPU, RAM and HD size.

But AV Linux can’t be more right about this:

Due to Ubuntu’s 6 month release schedule and the difficulties it incurs with continuity AV Linux 2.0 will now be developed using Debian which favours a longer term rolling release model that is much more sustainable for A/V Work.

pleasebeus,

I can’t promise you that kind of guaranteed performance especially if your Vid card issue is Kernel related. NO Linux distro out there is going to do 100% of what users want given the broad range of hardware and software needs required. As is AV Linux and it’s -rt Kernel will perform as well if not better than any Linux Multimedia distro out there (Not that I’m competing with any of them). But there in no magic bullet for every circumstance… not even the mighty Ubuntu.

If you truly want Nvidia and Dual Head why not upgrade to a newer Vid card? I got a 8600GT with Dual heads last year for 55 bucks CDN, I’m sure there are much better and cheaper ones that will work with newer Kernels and current Nvidia Drivers. You have obviously spent a lot of time trying and evaluating distros with no joy, perhaps a small hardware upgrade will get you closer to where you want to be, regardless of whatever distro you settle on…

You have obviously spent a lot of time trying and evaluating saç ekimi distros with no joy, perhaps a small hardware upgrade will get you closer bölgesel zayıflama to where you want to be, regardless of whatever distro you settle on…
The StudioVerb is the most lazer epilasyon excellent reverb plug-in I have heard and 642-373 dumps it compares fairly well with the best from Yamaha and botox Lexicon hardware. I mean it. It is that good.

Thakns

• using driver nv instead of nvidia

I would not reccomend this. Newer nvidia cards have a habit of overheating if used with the nv driver. Mine gets up to 102 degrees after an hour with the nv driver. When I run the nvidia proprietary driver it stays at 70 degrees for days on end. (Still warm but it has no fan…)

FWIW, I’ve been running very low latencies with rt kernels and nvidia drivers for a few years and I’ve never noticed any problems, provided I keep the fancy desktop effects switched off.

DrG, in case you didn’t notice elyse.thomasty is obviosly a bot or in any case a spammer; signed up today, posted to a relatively old thread and includes links to stuff that (from the link name at least) has nothing to do with linx audio.

I wonder if there could be some automatic captcha function that required a newbie to answer one regardless the first ten posts or so and then go back to the current scheme.

:smiley: and wouldn’t ya know; I got a captcha question on this post…

A couple weeks ago Ubuntu Studio released their 9.04 version. I’m sure you’ve all installed and begun to configure/tweak/adjust all kinds of settings (well those of you who didn’t encounter the random freezing on the RT kernel that some have). I just wanted to give a quick update on a couple new features.

ilahiler - ilahi dinle