Ardour 8.1 is released

Hot on the heels of 8.0, we are happy to bring you a mostly-hotfixes 8.1 release. There’s a couple of tasty new features also. The full notes for 8.0 and 8.1 are in the usual place, with the new stuff & fixes for 8.1 also listed below.

Download as usual.

• MIDI port names for the Novation Launchpad Pro fixed, and believed to work on all platforms, and with all versions of ALSA on Linux. Earlier versions would fail to connect to the device in most cases.
  • Varispeed dialog now allows control in percentage units in addition to semitones & cents. The shuttle control also now remains in sync with the actual transport speed.
  • Fix an issue where multichannel tracks would play in mono (#9483).
  • Prevent time domain (music/audio) confusion when trimming audio & MIDI regions.
  • When drawing freehand velocity curves, if any MIDI notes are selected, only those notes will be modified. This is extremely useful for editing drum tracks.
  • Fix selection logic when middle-clicking on notes in a MIDI track header keyboard. Middle click selects just that note-number. Ctrl/Cmd-middle-click now toggles the selection status of that note number. Shift-middle-click extends the selected note numbers.
  • Fix duplicate close-session dialog on macOS.
  • Fix a missing label in the insert time dialog.
  • Fix a deadlock ("program freeze") when adjusting a region fade.
  • Allow for bounces with specific source (file) and region names.
  • Include track name when consolidating ranges.
  • Fix potential for duplicated MIDI events with certain signal routing.
  • Prevent crash with certain oddly-behaved VST3 plugins' response to being asked "do you have an editor?"
  • Add MIDNAM file for Moog Subsequent 37.
  • Remove some cruft from build system scripts.
  • Build system tweak to accomodate newer versions of kissfft.
25 Likes

I started using it. Its very good but a little sluggish compared to 8.0 on my computer running AVL 21.3.
The same session is using 10% more dsp and its showing disk too slow messages again at various times.
Great though, thank you.

Great news!
But:

if you select a bunch of notes for freehand drawing, the velocities of these notes are modified, but also the one under drawing starting position. So it’s easy to accidentally modify velocity of unwanted notes. I don’t know if I write understandably, so below is a gif:

Best regards!
Skygge

Peek 2023-10-19 21-09

2 Likes

Thanks for all the fixes, and for the the freehand drawing with selected MIDI notes! That is a really useful feature!

1 Like

So the issue here is that when no notes are selected, the draw tool operates on all notes, and in your case a stacked MIDI region below gets modified?

Would be easier to see with track view mode Layers → Stacked.

There is also an additional issue. When cloned regions overlap, some lollipops do not respond to changes. I guess we need to file a bug report.

@merryIO There are absolutely no changes in our source code that would lead to this behavior.

Will this mean a hotfix release?

I think there’s some misunderstanding going on here. Unlikely to lead to a hotfix release if my understanding is the correct one.

Subdivine.vst3 litle does not load instrument image and presets, TX16Wx.vst3 work with sampler leads to program crash.
Great updates and great app! Thank you guys you are amazing!

This particular track has a single MIDI region with no layers, so is not stacked. The problem is that if you select notes for editing velocity (freehand or straight line), not only these notes are being modified, but also these where the line is starting from.

thanks Paul
8.0 did seem to run smoother as time went on, maybe 8.1 will be the same, who knows why?

I think there’s a misunderstanding of how the freehand drawing of selected notes work.

Currently it doesn’t seem to affect only a selected range but the selected notes in the entire project.
So if your range includes a C3 and an F4, for instance, all of those notes will be affected if you start drawing outside of your range, if there happens to be a C3 or F4 there

I think I cannot agree with this.
Take a look, I have only C4 notes here. I mark every other one and draw a freehand line.

Peek 2023-10-20 13-01

Also the straight line is not as straight as you may think :wink:

Peek 2023-10-20 14-43

1 Like

I can confirm this (that the first note is affected by freehand velocity drawing, even when not selected). Did you file a bug report?

Congratulations to all Ardour’s Team for this great advance!
Keep forward with the greatest DAW for linux and other platforms!

1 Like

@skygge the straight line drawing for velocity was known to be pretty broken. It’s a lot more complex to do than the regular freehand line drawing. I hope to fix this for 8.2 or 8.3

I’ll look into the other aspects of the behavior you’re showing in another week or so.

5 Likes

Thanks @Paul
Heres an example of what I’m talking about:

this was an mp3 export of a tune. Generally playing the session was using %25-35 and there were no apparent problems soundwise. When the export was ready, I pressed Play and the disk too slow message came.

Many thanks

So this happens when you start auditioning the exported mp3 file?

Yes. But not always and it is not the only situation when this occurs.
It might not happen for a while, then suddenly start happening, one or more times.
Another example is making changes to region boundaries during playback.
I measured the disk speed a couple of months ago and @Paul said that the disk speed was sufficient for many tracks, but another factor was scheduling. I don’t know how to investigate that.
The computer is a 2017 thinkstation running AVL 21.3