Ardour 7.2 released

Yes I would be interested as well. I don’t recall any issues regarding to copying MIDI Regions (which doesn’t mean that there are none).

3 Likes

Thanks for the update! I just compiled it now and loaded a project.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in DSP? I just loaded a project in 7.2 and it is taking ~39% DSP. I closed the project and opened it in 7.1 and the DSP is ~19%

It could be on my end but I wanted to check everyone else as well.

Perhaps 7.1 is an optimized build while your self-compiled 7.2 is not?

Menu > Help > About > Config is Debuggable build: True ?

2 Likes

I just tried 7.1 and 7.2 on a moderate sized session (tracks and plugins). They both ran at about 18% DSP, and if anything 7.2 was a little lower.

2 Likes

Hi Robin,

Edit: Yes debuggable build = true

I accidentally posted the 7.1 config earlier as I had both up.

Thanks Paul, that is good news. 7.1 was built from Manjaro and 7.2 from me…so you know :slight_smile:

Edit: I recompiled optimized and DSP is now at 14%. Nice!

1 Like

Try to Copy/Drag&Drop/Duplicate/FillTrack a four-bar region with one quarter note C3. Very different results 0009105: Dosn't copy one quarter note C3 in a four bar region - several times - MantisBT

3 Likes

Did you see the final note on that bug?

Also, this particular bug has not existed for that long, it was caused somewhere during the work on 7.0/7.1

1 Like

Thanks for that … So I Created Via Hydrogen my midi drum file. With Musescore I added some lyrics.

but they don’t show up as markers ???

How did you go about creating a mid file with lyrics ?

Thanks

Good work. Thank you all.

Right. I didn’t see your comment a few days ago. There are still problems with copying midi regions in version 7.2 "Try to Copy/Drag&Drop/Duplicate/FillTrack a four-bar region with one quarter note C3. Very different results "

Bug tracking on existing bugs goes to tracker.ardour.org, not here. I can’t know about “there are still problems” until someone reports that (and provides a recipe, and preferably, when necessary, any explanation)

2 Likes

Hello,

I am trying to use Ardour on Mac and it used to work well. Now I updated int new version and had to erase the old one before dowloading. It says I need to paste this code into Terminal. The problem is I dont undertstand almost anything about comuters, so my firend says I should have terminal, but I dont know on what name it goes. Or if I dont have, what would be a free terminal program for mac?

I tried posting this question on this forum already once, but I dont know where to find my question and if someone replied.

So please, if someone can reply, and I would be super amazingly happy to get the reply also to my email in case i dont manage to find this my own question anymore - again!

Thank you very much! Yess, I am in the process of getting Linux, but for now I really really badly need to get it goinf on my Mac, thank you!

malla.maanpiiri@gmail.com

1 Like

Well, over your post it says: “This is the first time mallamaanpiiri has posted”.

Anyway, open Finder and go to Applications → Utilities → Terminal
Chances are that you can also press Command+space and type “term” (that depends on your language, try maybe pääte?).

Awesome, nice work! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Hello there, your DAW looks very cool and I would love to use it, however I am running Windows 10 and I do not have and cannot get Paypal. I noticed that Linux users can get the fully functional (non-crippled) version free through their distro repositories, it would seem that us Windows users are at a huge disadvantage, this is totally unfair and I feel like us windows users have been given a huge middle finger. If anyone on this forum knows where I can get a fully functional non-crippled edition of Ardour 7.2 for Windows 10, it would be greatly appreciated, as I also would like to get in on the fun. I am not a programmer so I cannot compile from the source code myself, and I am not wanting to dual boot Windows 10 and Linux. Ardour would become much better known as an open source DAW among Windows and Mac users if the fully functional Windows and Mac versions weren’t locked behind a paywall. It is easy to see that Linux users, especially Ubuntu users, are not having to pay for a fully functional non-crippled Ardour binary for Linux, the same should be true for Windows and Mac users for the sake of equality between Windows users, Mac users and Linux users. If Ardour is really and truly open source then the binaries on all platforms ought to be free, not crippled and then only uncrippled for a fee. You think that people would not support this project if this wasn’t the case, however I believe people would support it with their time, just like people support other open source software projects like Audacity, Musescore, Gimp, Inkscape, Blender, Bforartists, etc… Perhaps it would be better for the developers of Ardour to build some specialized plugins for Ardour and charge for those instead, in order to make a living and support the project, this way fully functional non-crippled Ardour binaries for all platforms could be offered free of charge.

1 Like

Sigh… please do a search on these forums as this has been hammered to death.

I am going to cut this off here. Before I do I want to point out a few things:

1. Ardour is in fact open source. Anyone can get and compile the source code. This is true of all platforms
  2. This has allowed Linux Distributions to compile it, but these versions are not supported, and often (Not always) have issues due to packaging differences.
  3. All platforms have the option to pay to get a pre-compiled and supported version of Ardour from this site.
  4. Open source does not require distributing binaries. It requires distributing the source. (Vast oversimplification but the general gist)

Note that there is no difference on any platform for any of these. You may have personal issues with this, and that is fine, but suggesting intentionally that someone literally work around the developer’s method of supporting themselves and development of the software because you don’t like it, is not likely to make you to many friends.

If you have more to say on this topic please use a different thread. I will hide any further posts on this in this thread as it has nothing to do with the release. I would also suggest looking at previous threads on this topic as well.

Seablade
3 Likes

Please read: https://ardour.org/faq.html#libre-free

Official opus support is great, thanks!
I seem to remember having posted something on this topic a while ago :wink:

However, for me, this showed that custom builds can sometimes be better for custom use cases (as opus support mattered to me but a Zoom R8 WAV bug didn’t). So it’s really nice that ardour is open-source and self-compilable.

Ok; I found dspasic’s example midi with lyrics (Dancing Queen, by ABBA)
and yes, the lyrics show up as dspasic’s illustration shows,
and if I double-click on any of those, I can change the text, so,
why does Paul Davis claim that lyrics are import only?