Ardour 6.7 released

Ardour 6.7 is now available. This release is a mixture of bug fixes, design improvements and a couple of new features.

For more details, please read the whole release announcement .

Download as usual from https://ardour.org/download

This is also the last Ardour release for older platforms. Future version will require at least Windows 7, MacOS Mavericks (10.9), Linux systems with libstdc++.so.5 or any later version. We are not deliberately trying to snub these older systems, but we are shifting the technology we use to create Ardour forward in time a little bit, and none of these older systems come with the necessary tools.

37 Likes

Brilliant work, devs!

1 Like

That new rec overview is pretty cool! Seems to be very handy even in mid-sized projects. Thanks!

1 Like

Excellent work! I’m finding 6.7 to be much faster/responsive with session that have lots of regions.

1 Like

That is good to hear.

In the changelog that is filed under Collect Playlist::ContentsChanged() signals. Now there is only one notification (from backend to GUI) for all regions on a playlist instead of one per region.

It is manly relevant for ripple or batch edit operations, but might help in other cases as well.

3 Likes

I am so happy with the new release. Thanks all of you devs for your hard work and dedication!

The new record menu will be invaluable for me when recording acoustic guitar with a mic and direct, as well as being able to name and map hardware inputs.

Keep up the great work devs!

So many things! Good work. Thank you. I still have problems with consolidation and copying tracks…
Regarding the new Rec I thought that the function of the measuring bridge would be rather extended. It looks very good

Many thank paul and Robin and all Stuff Ardour for new fabulous upgrade DAW !!! Best regards from Naples (Italy) :grinning:

gennaro

Builds and runs fine (Fedora 33, rpm build). Good job!

Small question: When I start ardour with -N, e.g.
$ ardour -N ./Scratch

I get some familiar message in the terminal window, but one is unknown to me:
loading from ./Scratch as Scratch templ is_new 1 bp 2

What does this mean?

Just a debug message, gone now in 6.7-10. Means that a new session (is new 1) was created with [master] bus profile using 2 channels (stereo) for the master-out.

1 Like

Thanks! Looks good. No more crashes :slight_smile: used to have occasional ones during startup in 6.6.

12 posts were split to a new topic: The “paywall” and related matters

I don’t post much, but I just wanna give y’all kudos because you really did great with this release!

I just downloaded today, however I must be doing something silly as I can’t get v6.7 to play unless I turn off jack sync. But if I do that Ardour plays and the other apps, (e.g. Rosegarden) don’t. In v6.6 I could press the jack sync button and use the transport controls in ardour, the other apps followed ardour. I’ve switched back to v6.6 for now.

Fantastic! Thank you for your great work, Paul, Robin and everyone who contributed!

I’m gonna test is with my monster sessions to see how well it handles them compared to 6.6 and 6.5.

I hoped you had already done that before the release tag.

1 Like

I didn’t manage to do too much testing recently, sorry.

The 6.7 versions seems to perform a little better in the largest sessions I work in currently (> 30MB in .ardour).

However it seemed I had to rise my buffer from 2048 to 4096 to be able to have smooth audio playback, which is strange. not sure what he cause could be.

Anyway, I’m not gonna work in these sessions any more after this week, and in the future I’ll try to keep my sessions smaller and divide things more. Also export SFX elements to audio and not have a 100 Surge instancesin one session. Such huge sessions are really killing performance on all fronts making Ardour very unresponsive, at least on the hardware I have available.

I split the elements in this thread that were not really about the 6.7 release into a new thread called “The “Paywall” and related matters”. Feel free to continue discussion there.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: The “paywall” and related matters