Ardour 6.0 is released

Nightlies are fine (there are separate gcc4 and gcc5 builds there, and you will get the gcc5 one unless you choose otherwise).

Does anybody have an idea of the number of devs for a commercial product of that kind?

Reaper has two devs.

Though to be fair, there were periods during Reaperā€™s lifetime when the number was notably higher, I believe.

1 Like

Hi Paul,great news for Ardour 6 !!! :grinning:

Right, they were 4 during a period (between v4 and the mid of v5) iirc.

Thanks for your answer DHealey, itā€™s like a little bird singing ā€œI told it to you, since years, that FLOSS is more powerfull than dollars, and the future of human kindā€. Sorry (or not!) to come to the political fieldā€¦ Itā€™s not to compare Reaper and Ardour (which donā€™t do the same things, as little far as I know from some hours of playing with Reaper VS many years on Ardour)ā€¦ Just some little sunday thoughts in that strange time that we all live onā€¦

OK, new gcc5 compatible packages are now installed in the download system. Feel free to download again. Again, apologies for the mistake.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got this error with the ā€˜./waf configureā€™ command:

(base) lucio@lucio-kubuntu:/mnt/HD Externo/home/Build/Ardour-6.0.0$ ./waf configure
This tarball was not created correctly - it is missing libs/ardour/revision.cc

Editing at the moment with bluetooth headphones, this rocks!

Thanks!

Howā€™s the latency between pressing play and you hearing the result?

I feel it just as if I was wired :cowboy_hat_face:

Edit: Ok, pressing play and ā€œhearingā€ audio is fast, but it seems to happen after the playhead has passed over it, a little desync there, but still great not being tied to the computer x )

Edit 2: also loving the new snap/grid operation.

Is anyone else experiencing crashes at startup on Mac OS X ?
Iā€™m trying Ardour 6 on a Macbook pro and it crashes all the times, after clicking on the start button to connect on Core Audio.
I wanted to know if there is something wrong in my setup or itā€™s something every Mac user is experiencing.
Opened a bug Here

Sorry about that. Another packaging mistake during the release process. This has been fixed now, so if you download again, it should be OK. Itā€™s been too long since we did a release :slight_smile:

4 Likes

V5.12 was like a good old friend during these >2 years ā€¦
Farewell v5.12, welcome V6.0!!! :boom:

3 Likes

I just checked on two MacBookPro Laptops, One running 10.10.5 and the other 10.15.2 and in both cases Ardour starts (using onboard souncard).

1 Like

It was my fault. I had installed an old nightly that left some outdated files in the ardour preferences directory.
Deleting the Configuration Directory (you can find it in Files and directories Ardour knows about) fixed it.
Now it works like a charm :tada: :tada: :tada:

1 Like

Nice find! I should have thought of that.

1 Like

Actually it was @paul that gave me the hint in the bug tracker :grin: