Ardour 6.0 is released

Next step after that…

Weird. No go on my end.
clicking the penguin only makes firefox scroll upwards a bit and nothing…

Do you perhaps have a Javascript blocker add-on enabled?

Nope.

I’ll try from a different computer. Guess I broke this system’s browser somehow.

Edit:
Yup, download works like a charm from another laptop. Nevermind…

Felt the same way reading through it! Can’t wait to get it installed and try it out.

I’m getting this message when I try to open one of my older Ardour projects in version 6. Any advice?

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 10.03.13 PM

I’m using a 2013 iMac 64 bit config. No crashes when starting Core Audio.

I had the same problem than you when downloading Ardour for Linux. In my case, I am using uBlock Origin extension on Firefox, and after disable it, I could see the download button and other options, like pointed out in above image by Robin. So, checking your browser extensions might help.

Just installed Ardour 6 from the website. I was using some x42 plugins and Invada, but they disappeared after the upgrade from 5.12. The plugins only show up if I run Ardour with sudo. Has this happened to anyone else after upgrading?

Did you run Ardour6 with sudo the first time? If so, directory ~/.config/ardour6 might be owned by root user, so that when you run Ardour6 with your regular user, it might not have permissions to read and/or write. I don’t exactly know if found plugins’ information is saved by Ardour6 in that directory, I think it also uses ~/.lv2 directory, so check also that directory.

Other people might shed more light on this issue, but as a rule of thumb, you never should run a GUI application with sudo. If you need to do that, that’s surely a red flag, meaning that something is really wrong configured on your system (filesystem permissions).

EDIT: You can also create another user on your system, and run Ardour6 with it (without sudo!), and check if it detects those plugins. If it works as expected, then you will know that the problem was on your other user’s home directory.

Thanks for your response. Yeah, probably not the best idea to run it as sudo. I did it because I was just out of ideas, but didn’t run it as sudo for the first time. It seems like the bundled plugins work just fine, but Ardour doesn’t find others like Invada or calf plugins. Those plugins are located /usr/lib64/lv2. I checked the permissions and it seems like my user should be able to run it. I even copied them and put them in ~/.lv2, but that didn’t work either. Anyway, I can’t figure out what the issue is. For instance, I just installed the EQ10Q plugins (/usr/local/lib64/lv2) and those work just fine, but even reinstalling calf doesn’t solve the issue.

Where can I download version 5? I uninstalled it. But version 6 was not installed and was not compiled from source (

You can’t download v5 from this website, but why would you want to? V6 should open V5 sessions fine for the most part, has bug fixes along with the new features, and is generally going to be the better choice.

Seablade

For the same reason I enjoy reminiscing about old Linux distros (Because KDE3 still has a place in my heart!) and, when I need some levity, installing Windows Millenium Edition :wink:

In all seriousness, Reaper has a full download archive for problematic sessions that don’t open properly with the latest and greatest (and probably for lots of other reasons, too). Would it be weird to have the final point release for each of Ardour’s major version numbers available on ardour.org?

git clone git://git.ardour.org/ardour.git
cd ardour
git checkout MY_PREFERRED_VERSION
./waf configure 
./waf

Reaper doesn’t provide source, you cannot build any version at all.

1 Like

This I understand. I am simply pointing out that the Reaper site allows users to download binaries for every single minor release. This I find completely overkill but Ardour having at least the final point release binaries for each major release could be useful to some users. I say this unselfishly given that I don’t have a single pre v6 session that I’d ever need to return to (until I actually need to :wink: ).

I have an archive of Ardour 4 and 5 binaries, just because I might need them some day. I think it’s ok to give them to other Ardour users, I asked Paul about this a couple of years ago and he ok’d it then. Maybe he can chime in if this is not the case now.

1 Like

Ardour is licensed under the GPL. You are free to distribute, copy and modify it as you wish.

3 Likes

Congratulations and well done on Ardour 6. This metalhead approves \m/

1 Like

Thanks for this new version. It is really fast! :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone for this great piece of work.

1 Like