Ardour 3.4 Production Ready?

Eagerly waiting for Ardour 3.4… when can we expect the release? will it be production ready? will it be MAC ready?.. too many questions… couldnt stop asking coz I am planning to use Ardour 3.4 for my next project…

You should be able to start with Ardour 3.3 and upgrade without loss of file format compatibility.
Or do you know of some feature that you really need which will be included in 3.4?

Anyway, I am starting with 2.8. I just wanted to check on the stability part of the forthcoming one…

Why start on 2.8 when 3.3 is released ? It’s probably not a brilliant idea to expect an Ardour 2 session to open 100% seamlessly in Ardour 3. Your logic doesn’t make sense. Ardour 3 is at least as stable as Ardour 2, what makes you think 3.3 isn’t and that 3.4 suddenly will be ?

Unless of course you are on a Mac, in which case you may have a point !

Ardour 3.4 will not include any improvements to the situation on OS X. Unfortunate but true.

most of the case the application was nor performing to the mark - mainly crashing multiple times during mixing or poor response etc. not all the problems are caused by Ardour but not sure being a linux fan i am a kind of loosing confidence on it for the audio… being a mixer i need not worry about my systems but worry about my mixing and its quality. hence thought of switching to mac with ardour 2.x with my factory made plugins and drivers etc. still confused but in the coming days i will make them all sorted out… i still love the 3.x and i use it for less critical recording and mixing just to validate it… i am ready to wait but the next project i have a list of first-time trials and i need more time tweaking my trials and dnt want the DAW to add more worry to it, :wink: looking forward to 3.4 and to make it available in MAC i think i can also be part of it and help to shape it… but not sure what i could really contribute to it… may be if paul or somebody let me know the gap to make it available in MAC we can try something…

Ps; i still dont have a MAC hardware… its coz i am testing my all in linux setup and it all works well (h/w+s/w) then i will stick to it… else will see what to do…

the issues now i am facing/trying to get sorted out/testing are,

• Focusrite Saffire 40 - FFADO tests. I should make sure that its working under linux with the mixers enabling the 0 latency routing/monitoring
  • NVIDIA GFX card - the driver has some issues under Ubuntu Studio.. display is getting blurred after a coupe of hours
  • 5.1 Surround Mixing with AC3JACK - need to work with it and make sure it works well with my onboard 2496 card and outboard ONKYO AV Device

Consensus around here seems to be that Ardour 3 is generally more stable than 2.x, certainly no less so.
Also that Ubuntu Studio is not the best distro to use for audio.
It might be worth giving AV Linux or Dream Studio a try.
You can run AV Linux off a live DVD, though I don’t know whether that would be practical for evaluating if for long term stability. It will certainly show you whether it supports your hardware.
Dream studio may also have a live boot option but I don’t know as I’ve never tried it.

to try the distros other than US is also in my todo list and i would be starting the distro trials soon…

ardour 3.x on OS X needs developer time, nothing more (or less).

btw, talking about “being a linux fan i am a kind of loosing confidence on it for the audio” is a bit ridiculous - you’re talking about it as if it is a monolithic thing, rather than the combination of a particular kernel, particular user-space tools (i.e. your distro), system hardware and an audio interface. these things all interact in ways that can lead to excellent or terrible experiences. there is no “linux” to talk about in this context. the one key feature of buying a mac is that apple offers you basically no choices but have made them for you in ways that basically work very well almost all the time.

@paul, actually i was referring to the linux-setup i am having and not the linux as the OS… sorry for that… yeah I agree that the whole setup all together makes things worse or better and i am simply stuck because of my hardware or interface-incompatibility and things like that. so still i am trying to make them all work together in anyways and i at this point of time i can’t afford a mac…

@abhayadevs:
“the issues now i am facing/trying to get sorted out/testing are,
Focusrite Saffire 40 - FFADO tests. I should make sure that its working under linux with the mixers enabling the 0 latency routing/monitoring
NVIDIA GFX card - the driver has some issues under Ubuntu Studio… display is getting blurred after a coupe of hours
5.1 Surround Mixing with AC3JACK - need to work with it and make sure it works well with my onboard 2496 card and outboard ONKYO AV Device”

I can’t talk about NVIDIA GFX card since i don’t have one nor use of surround on Jack, the m-audio card (is good to specify) or the ONKYO AV Device… however, i use use in a monthly basis a Saffire Pro 40, and i can tell you it DOES WORK, and the latest Jackd the better support, even the Mixer works mostly well although i find it very confusing and sometimes it messes and i need to reset it to factory in Win7.

So my aproach about the Pro 40 is mostly to set up the mixes before recording in Win7, save the settings to the device, then reset the PC and run Linux, with the mixes saved already you will work flawlessly either on Mixbus or Ardour, whether you are using Mics, Line, ADAT, SPDIF or even MIDI, it all works great.

The catch: once you enter Linux, and before you run Jackd open ffado-dbus-server in a terminal that will recognize all your saffire pro 40 features and help a lot on the stability, also… TURN OFF WIFI.

I’ve worked with this interface in AVLinux, UbuntuStudio and DreamStudio, as long as you have the latest jackd and ffado it should all be fine once taken into consideration what i just wrote.

@abhayadevs: i’m sorry this will look like a repeated post man! i just saw on FFADO forum you’ve been asking about the Pro40, and you use Ubuntu Studio 13.04, in principle it should be ok BUT remember every non LTS release of ubuntu is basically a beta for the next LTS, and a lot of things will NOT work as they SHOULD… my point is: if you can backup and get back to 12.04 you will be in a much safer and stable UbuntuStudio or DreamStudio, i use DreamStudio 12.04 since i find it more friendly and i can spend a little more on resources, now about how to make the saffire pro 40 work, this is what i wrote on ffado a couple of months ago, i hope this helps you!.

"Not perfect but works great
Submitted by kerepakupaimeru on Thu, 08/08/2013 - 22:13.

@lapslide: I use a Saffire Pro40 as my main recording device, and have used it on both my may system and my laptop using Ubuntu 12.04 (Dream Studio), it works great however is “tricky” to get it to work so when using my laptop i generally do this:

(Being all turned off first)

1. Turn on the Pro40
  2. Turn on the Laptop
  3. Once in ubuntu, open the terminal and run ffado-dbus-server
  4. Open a ffado-mixer
  5. TURN ON JACK (i use qjctrl)
  6. Then open Ardour

ffado-dbus-server is the most important here since it lets you know if the hardware is actually recognizing the interface, it also lets you know the name of the interface and all its ins and outs, so watch it!

• If the ffado-dbus-server doesn’t get the pro40 try again once or twice, if nothing happens turn off the pro40 and start over.
  • If it doesnt work yet then get into Windows and set the pro40 to the default settings and save it to hardware and now do it all again, it should work.
  • Once you get the pro40 to work on linux you can change the mixer settings, but changing them its been always confusing to me in linux and also it seems to be a bit buggy, the interface stops receiving info from the ffado mixer at some point, so i generally just “set up” the mixes in Windows before i start to work, then when all mixes are fine i move back to Linux and record, this has worked for me flawlessly ever since Ubuntu 12.04

I know its quite a procedure but it has worked over and over, other than that just mantain your system up to date if it is Ubuntu, or don’t mess with it if it’s AVLinux and you’ll probably be fine.

Greetings!"

@fernesto, my main mixing workstation is 12.04.4. I have a laptop where i keep the non-LTS versions running for evaluation / recording ith dual boot with a WinXP as a backup OS for configuring the hardares (8i6 mainly). I am about to install Dream Studio and then i ill have to have my first time experience of Saffire Pro 40 with linux FFADO.

just installed Dream Studio… all fine but having issues with my M-Audio 24/96. Jack is listing only 2 capture ports and 2 output ports where as it has many including S/PDIF! Some time back even with Ubuntu Studio I had this issue and something I did made them all visible… let me dig my memory !

any support comments?

As for PCI i’ve only used RME, but i think there are specific drivers for the M-Audio 24/96 although not sure, are you sure you are specifying jack to use the 24/96 in the submenu for devices (qjackctl) ?

It may be that you are actually running Jack with the motherboard’s soundcard… check that out, it surely is some minor detail you are leaving behind as you said you made it work in Ubuntu Studio, you can perfectly do it again on DreamStudio since its the same OS at the end.

yeah… I set it up… minor tweaks with the Frames/Periods and other settings… Now all working perfectly with following settings

• interface: M Audio Audiophile 24/96 (hw:M2496)
  • Enable Realtime
  • Priority:1
  • Frames/Period:1024
  • Sample Rate 48Khz
  • Periods/Buffer:3
  • Port Maximum:128
  • Timeout:200

Its been a coupe of days that i am with Ardour 3.4 doing a short-film mix. So far no major issues… Now using DreamStudio with M-Audio 2496. A couple of times the alsa/Jack was showing me only the 2 tracks from the interface and i had to reboot a couple of times to get access to all the 10 tracks of the interface and now i disabled the on-board audio to make more stable.
Still need to check the NVIDIA GFX card. now it is disabled as over a period the display was getting blurred while i was using Ubuntu Studio 12.04.

@Paul thanks for the new release…

this film-mix project is just a trial and my goal is to get a 5.1 mix and print it on DVD-PAL widescreen format… I am planning to use Opeshot Video Editor to mix video and audio together and render it. With open shot i am little bit confused on the tracks numbers and the actual 5.1 tracks… any suggestions or comments all welcome…

abhayadev s

btw, got a bug logged in… http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=5702

Yesterday I connected my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 hooked up to “Dream Studio” 12.10 LTS through the VIA chipset PCI card. All went fine and was able to create independent mixes but still I am a kind of lost and confused on the Cross routing and mixer sections. Need to dig more in to them to understand well. Any documentation is available on the new matrix-router/cross-routing?

@Paul: Ardour 2.x and 3.4 all worked well with the card. Here track’s I/O windows was showing the I/Os under “Other” but not under “JACK”. … is this expected?