Zoom HD16CD DR / Control Surface - Does it work with Ardour?

Zoom HD16CD DR / Control Surface - Does it work with Ardour?
I’m using Ubuntu Linux. The HD16CD says it works with DAW software as long as there is a USB or MIDI interface. So, it should work with Ardour, right? Has anyone done it? Also the HD16CD seems like a lot of bang for the buck ($700 US) but for the same $ should I be spending my money on some other interface?

Thanks for the reply, Paul. I’ll see what I can find out re: whether it generates generic MIDI CC messages or emulates Mackie Control devices .

In the meantime, do you have an opinion regarding the other part of the question? While the HD16CD seems like a bargain, my understanding is that it samples at a lower rate than the industry standard (16 vs 24). I suppose this translates to lower sound quality; but I don’t really know. Opinion?
-Mark

I have a Zoom ps-04 ‘palm 4 track’ which is a great device. The hd16 is indeed 16 bit, but with built-in drum machine and effects it’s a great package for relatively trouble-free songwriting and recording. I haven’t used it though, personally, so I can’t say.

I see no reason why it shouldn’t work as a controller (“Midi is as midi does”, as Forest Gump said in the movie ; ), for Ardour, but as no one here has tried it (me included) no one can say.

There are a lot of intriguing choices at that price range for multitrack hd devices, so it’s anyone’s guess which is best for you or anyone else. If the 8 inputs and drum machine is important to you, then that might be the one. If 2 or 4 inputs and no drum machine is enough, then there’s other options from Fostex and others that also look good.

Try going to zzounds.com and looking up user comments. Read 'em all, good/bad and place your bets accordingly.

You could also buy it from a local Guitar Center if you have one nearby, and return it if you don’t like it.

Good luck!

There’s also an excellent user-supported zoom forum out there that would be the place to post your question. Ask them the question that Paul offered and see what they say.

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/index.php

The question to ask is whether it generates generic MIDI CC messages or emulates Mackie Control devices or is something else. With an answer to that question, we can answer yours.

Well, I sent Zoom customer service an email with the question and they haven’t even bothered to respond. So, I got tired of waiting and I’m going to assume that the Zoom HD16CD must not work with Ardour. One would think that Zoom would like to open themselves up to a whole new market.