X11 needed?

When I try opening Ardour using OSX 10.4.9 I receive an error message telling me I need to have X11 installed. I do have it installed, but now, that won’t open either. Anyone know what to tell me?

You don’t need to run X11 yourself. Ardour’s startup ensures X11 is started when you start Ardour. Are you sure you installed the X11.app and not the SDK (software development kit)?

yes, and furthermore when I try to boot X11 nothing happens. The icon bounces in the dock and then . . . nothing.

X11 is a windowing enviroment which doesn’t actually do anything by itself. It’s a “server” of sorts which opens application windows for programs which request it to do so. Ardour uses X11 to display the graphical user interface.

Does ardour appear if you open the application once X11 is already running?

Which version of Ardour are you trying to run? Which package did you download? Are you running on an intel CPU or a PowerPC?

Ardour v. 0.99.3 PPC When trying to open Ardour I am prompted with a message window saying the following " X11 missing. Install it from the Tiger Install DVD."

Here is a crash log report about X11 (it’s Turkish to me)

Host Name: moogis-Computer
Date/Time: 2007-04-13 15:51:54.558 +0800
OS Version: 10.4.9 (Build 8P135)
Report Version: 4

Command: X11
Path: /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11
Parent: WindowServer [62]

Version: 1.1 (???)

PID: 400
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11
Reason: image not found

Date/Time: 2007-04-13 15:52:34.650 +0800

Path: /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11
Parent: WindowServer [62]

PID: 406

Link (dyld) error:

Referenced from: /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11

Date/Time: 2007-04-14 19:12:58.741 +0800

Path: /Applications/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11
Parent: WindowServer [61]

PID: 396

Link (dyld) error:

Referenced from: /Applications/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11

Date/Time: 2007-04-14 19:13:19.910 +0800

Parent: WindowServer [61]

PID: 401

Link (dyld) error:

Date/Time: 2007-04-20 20:33:50.136 +0800

Parent: WindowServer [63]

PID: 423

Link (dyld) error:

Thank you VERY MUCH for your assistance. Greatly appreciated!

Peter

The message is very clear. X11 is missing.

I don’t know what you thought you installed, but it was not X11.

” X11 missing. Install it from the Tiger Install DVD.”

Please do that and report back to us.

Okay, will do and, call me crazy, but X11 is sitting in my “Utilities” folder.

You should probably ask on a OS X specific forum. It sounds like there’s something wrong with how X11 is installed on your system and I’m afraid that you might not be able to find the expertise to fix this on ardours’ forums.

I suspect that all your troubles come from the X11 installation on your system, not Ardour.

I’m getting the feeling that I have OS X issues that I need to fix before continuing with Ardour. When I try to install X11 from the DVD here’s the Instal Message I receive.

"Install X11

You cannot install X11 on this volume. Newer software already exists on your computer."

As I said in the previous post. X11 is, at least visually, on my Mac. Now the Installer has verified it but Ardour still says that it is not.

What to do?

I think a friend of mine has had the same problem. He had installed some X11 found on the Apple website maybe. We reinstalled X11 from the Tiger DVD and everything went fine.

Yes, if you’re running Tiger it HAS to be installed from the Tiger installation DVD and not the X11 package provided on the Apple website.

“The only intuitive interface is the nipple. After that, it’s all learned.” -Bruce Ediger

That’s true kid!

After installing X11.app from the Tiger DVD, run Software Update. Apple pushed out some updates and fixes for X11 that us developers already have.

The version installed on my PC is from the DVD. I’m still trying to get around this problem by dealing with another recent problem: my superdrive went for a super dive. So reinstalling right now isn’t an option. Finding a superdrive in Manila’s not so easy. :frowning:

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Well, I had Ardour2 working, but not any more. (See what happens when I go on vacation?) When I try to start it, it tells me that i need to install X11 first, even if X11 is already running. Starting X11.app just launches a terminal window, and Ardour still won’t start.

I’m confused . . . .