X-touch-compact not working

Dear all,

I’m totally newbie and I got my x-touch-compact and tried to use in ardour without success.

I followed instructions in http://manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/mackie-control-protocol/behringer-devices-in-mackielogic-control-mode/#compact and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01aJWbzzNmM:

• connect via USB to computer
  • switch to MC mode
  • start jackd (via qjactl). BTW, should I act on jack configuration to make x-touch communicating with ardour?
  • I see x-touch-compact in the “alsa” tab of jack connections as “x-touch compact midi 1” in both readable and writable clients.
  • start ardour, set control surface to Mackie, device “x-touch-compact” but surface sends/receives are “disconnected” and no way to connect them can be found …
  • … and no control of ardour mixer responds to x-touch faders …

Any suggestion?

You need to explicitly connect the surface sends/receives from drop downs in the surface preferences/config dialog. You can also do it in the MIDI patchbay matrix (Window > MIDI Connections)

Paul, thank you for your support.

Unfortunately it is not so trivial.
The point is that I don’t see any alternatives to “Disconnected” in the drop-down for sends and receives (actually, it does not drop-down at all). The same in the MIDI Connection Manager window.

As I said, I see the X-Touch Compact in the “ALSA” tab of Jack Connections window but it is not connected to anything (see picture).

jackd-connections

Maybe a silly question: has it anything to do with enabling MIDI Driver in Jack Setup? In that case, should I choose raw or seq?

Any idea?
Alberto

kernel 4.19.0
Ardour 5.12.0
Jack2 1.9.12

After posting the reply I got an illumination: digging more into jack doc I found that a2jmidid is needed to make ALSA midi apps available. Now I’m able to select X-Touch in the Sends/Receives drop-downs in control surface config.

Alberto

If you don’t need to route audio between applications, your life will be much easier if you stop using JACK and just use Ardour’s own ALSA audio/MIDI driver. This is what we recommend to most users these days.

Just to clarify: you recommend ALSA because it is easier/simpler and therefore less prone to problems, or because it is more efficient?

Theoretically it is very slightly more efficient, but the main reason is that it’s simpler for users in almost every way. Routing between audio/MIDI applications is cool and sometimes very powerful, but also not part of most people’s workflow.