Windows resize problem

Hi all,

I would like to know your opinion on this issue:
In Ardour 6.9.0 I can’t resize windows as desired (plugins and Ardour itself).

For example, I have a project with these plugins:
Vitalium, BYOD, SimpleScope.

The Vitalium GUI is not resizable (in the menu, the “resize” option is frozen).
BYOD, if I try to resize it with the mouse by dragging the three striped bars bottom right of the plugin itself, it doesn’t resize.
SimpleScope also doesn’t scale, using the mouse.
Ardour’s Editor windows itself I can’t resize.

This my configuration:
Ardour 6.9.0~ds0 “After Bach” (rev 6.9.0~ds0-1build1) Intel 64-bit (from repository)
Ubuntu 22.04.1

This is Ardour configuration:

Build documentation: False
Debuggable build: False
Export all symbols (backtrace): False
Install prefix: /usr
Strict compiler flags: []
Internal Shared Libraries: True
Use External Libraries: True
Library exports hidden: True
Free/Demo copy: False

ALSA DBus Reservation: True
Architecture flags: None
ARM NEON support: False
Aubio: True
AudioUnits: False
Build target: x86_64
Canvas Test UI: False
Beatbox test app: False
CoreAudio: False
CoreAudio 10.5 compat: False
Debug RT allocations: False
Debug Symbols: False
Denormal exceptions: False
Dr. Mingw: False
FLAC: True
FPU optimization: True
FPU AVX/FMA support: True
Freedesktop files: True
Libjack linking: link
Libjack metadata: True
Lua Binding Doc: False
Lua Commandline Tool: True
LV2 UI embedding: True
LV2 support: True
LV2 extensions: True
LXVST support: True
Mac VST support: False
NI-Maschine: False
OGG: True
Phone home: False
Process thread timing: False
Program name: Ardour
Samplerate: True
PT format: True
PTW32 Semaphore: False
Threaded WaveViews: True
Translation: True
Unit tests: False
Use LLD linker: False
VST3 support: True
Windows VST support: False
Wiimote support: True
Windows key: Mod4><Super

PortAudio Backend: False
CoreAudio/Midi Backend: False
ALSA Backend: True
Dummy backend: True
JACK Backend: True
Pulseaudio Backend: True

Buildstack: -system-
Mac i386 Architecture: False
Mac ppc Architecture: False
Mac arm64 Architecture: False

C compiler flags: ['-I<<ARDOURSRCDIR>>', '-g', '-O2', '-ffile-prefix-map=<<ARDOURSRCDIR>>=.', '-flto=auto', '-ffat-lto-objects', '-fstack-protector-strong', '-Wformat', '-Werror=format-security', '-DHAVE_RF64_RIFF', '-DWAF_BUILD', '-DNDEBUG', '-fshow-column', '-O3', '-fomit-frame-pointer', '-ffast-math', '-fstrength-reduce', '-pipe', '-DARCH_X86', '-mmmx', '-msse', '-mfpmath=sse', '-DUSE_XMMINTRIN', '-DBUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS', '-DLXVST_64BIT', '-Wall', '-Wpointer-arith', '-Wcast-qual', '-Wcast-align', '-Wno-unused-parameter', '-DBOOST_SYSTEM_NO_DEPRECATED', '-D_ISOC9X_SOURCE', '-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE', '-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64', '-DPROGRAM_NAME="Ardour"', '-DPROGRAM_VERSION="6"', '-Wstrict-prototypes', '-Wmissing-prototypes']
C++ compiler flags: ['-I<<ARDOURSRCDIR>>', '-g', '-O2', '-ffile-prefix-map=<<ARDOURSRCDIR>>=.', '-flto=auto', '-ffat-lto-objects', '-fstack-protector-strong', '-Wformat', '-Werror=format-security', '-I/usr/include/qm-dsp', '-DHAVE_RF64_RIFF', '-DWAF_BUILD', '-DNDEBUG', '-fshow-column', '-O3', '-fomit-frame-pointer', '-ffast-math', '-fstrength-reduce', '-pipe', '-DARCH_X86', '-mmmx', '-msse', '-mfpmath=sse', '-DUSE_XMMINTRIN', '-DBUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS', '-DLXVST_64BIT', '-Wall', '-Wpointer-arith', '-Wcast-qual', '-Wcast-align', '-Wno-unused-parameter', '-DBOOST_SYSTEM_NO_DEPRECATED', '-D_ISOC9X_SOURCE', '-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE', '-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64', '-DPROGRAM_NAME="Ardour"', '-DPROGRAM_VERSION="6"', '-std=c++11', '-DBOOST_NO_AUTO_PTR', '-DBOOST_BIND_GLOBAL_PLACEHOLDERS', '-Woverloaded-virtual', '-Wno-unused-local-typedefs', '-D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS', '-D__STDC_FORMAT_MACROS', '-DCANVAS_COMPATIBILITY', '-DCANVAS_DEBUG', '-DBOOST_ERROR_CODE_HEADER_ONLY']
Linker flags: []

Thanks for any advice.
a.

I guess your UI scaling is too high, try to fiddle with the parameter in the preferences…

Hi, thank you.

If you meant to decrease this parameter: “User Interface Size and Scale” in Ardour Preferences, the only effect is to make the writing smaller.
Instead, in practice I would like to make the plugins windows smaller, so that they all fit, but they cannot be shrunk.
(Some at most can be enlarged to full screen, but cannot be shrunk).
Also I would like to shrink the Ardour editor window so that other windows of other programs fit on the same screen.
That’s what I meant by “resize windows as desired”.

Bye,
a.

Plugins provide a minimum size parameter to the plugin host, and will not allow shrinking smaller than that in order to keep all the controls visible. I do not know if there is a way to display the minimum size sent for each plugin and verify if they are indeed currently at minimum.

Thank you.

To clarify, this is the minimum size of the BYOD plugin:

This is the minimum size of the Simple Scope plugin:

The Ardour editor window, if I press the middle button at the top right, only shrinks about 10%.
It would be useful to be able to tile another window of another program, but it doesn’t fit… :slight_smile:

Bye,
a.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.