WIN32

So…
How about the Win32 Version?

from the manual (Introduction):

Why doesn’t Ardour run on Windows ?

There have been several discussions about porting Ardour to Windows. The obstacles are relatively few in number, but rather substantial in significance. Ardour was written to run on operating systems that properly and efficiently support a portable operating system standard called POSIX (endorsed by the US government and many other large organizations). Linux and OS X both do a good job of supporting POSIX, but Windows does not. In particular, the efficiency with which Windows handles certain aspects of the POSIX standard makes it very hard to port Ardour to that platform. It is not impossible that we will port Ardour at some point, but Windows continues to be a rather unsuitable platform for pro-audio work despite the improvements that have been made to it in the last few years.

Its about a few VST plugin…

however

thx for telling me this…

according to those code…

I can tell how hard it is…

Ardour can run win32/x86 VST plugins (many of them, anyway). However, its rather hard to build it with this capability and because of the interaction between the GPL (Ardour’s license) and Steinberg’s licensing, nobody is allowed to build binaries of Ardour with this capability turned on. Many of Ardour’s more programming-oriented users are running Ardour with VST plugin support enabled, and it works well for them.

Surely you mean nobody is allowed to distribute binaries of Ardour with VST capabilities built in?

Why would you want to run it on windows…microsoft SUX!

I find this one hard to believe, but you are saying I can run Win32 VST plugins on OS X if it has an intel processor? How? Where do I find the doc on this?

Joel

… delete this post please - duplicate…

Paul is talking about running win32 VST plugins through the wine project on linux.

If I remember correctly, it has to do with the SDK and the license for VST’s. If you use the SDK for your self… No problem. You use the SDK and distribute a binary for others – it isn’t for yourself anymore and the company wants to control things (like royalties).

However I believe you can distribute source code that makes use of the SDK (as the win32/wine/VST thing is source code form only)

I might be a little off, but close to explaining why!

–Doug

I have several comments on my personal drupal website about WinHoles in general.

summary: 1) Because people generally like to be led around (like lemmings) and 2) MicroSucks fills in a large nitch market of people that don’t want to think (too much anyways).

Solution (workaround?): Dual boot a machine, WinHoles for suck crap and Linux for professional / development stuff (like Ardour)…

I have one machine at home that is dual boot, one machine at work that has vmware workstation and (ha, as I like to say it) “runs winholes as a process on Linux”. Other than that… the rest of my machine 5 are Linux (exept more for one which is Windows only for LinearX products like pcRTA, LEAP and LMS).

I am finding fewer and fewer reasons to run WinHoles EVERYDAY – still doesn’t stop purchasing hardware!

–Doug

Most GNU/Linux or Mac programs can hugely benefit from porting to Windows.

A lot of Windows users don’t even know that alternative platforms exists, and most composition courses use Windows systems and programs.

A Windows port of Ardour could:

• enlarge the users community
  • allow for Ardour to be used in courses
  • eventually, ease the migration to a better OS for composers that wuold like to try out Ardour but do not want to install a dual-boot system only for that

Moreover, if Ardour is GTK-based the interface can be ported without any problems. Is the performance the only issue that prevents a Windows port?

The average guy running windows generally has a poor understanding of how things work on his OS. So when Windows real-time perfomance related problems will appear (due to windows poor coding quality), the average user will think that ardour just doesn’t run fine.

What will the benefit be for ardour ?

and most composition courses use Windows systems and programs.
  • Ever tried running cubase under windows without a good old crash ?
  • Ever had the guts to use a windows based music program during a live session ?
  • Ever had to explain to your audience that you need to take a 10 minutes break because your computer crashed in the middle of your favorite piece ?

I would love to switch to Linux for audio but at the moment I am using Ableton Live and Reason most of the time. A killer combination.

Reason is rock solid, doesn’t crash at all. I do believe XP is excellent for music. But hopefully I am able to switch to Linux one day. I don’t like the mentality of Apple and Microsoft.

I would miss a couple of things after the switch. Reason, Live and some plugins, Lounce Lizard3 and some vst effects.

I am doing music as a profession so the switch needs to be smooth… hopefully one day:)

/Marco - Melodiefabriek.nl

OK, for those who needs an open source multitrack alternative for Win32 here’s Traverso:

http://www.traverso-daw.org/

Marco Ravich

Forward Agency
In progress we (always) trust.

Essentially, this is just snobbary when it comes down to it. People who use OSs other than windows do so for whatever reason, and feel that they should punish any user who wont make the move to the said operating system. I will never move entirely to Apple or Linux because I think Windows does a lot of things better and for that reason will always be my main platform. If this is a matter of you thinking Microsoft’s practices are immoral then you need to get off your high horse and realise most of the english speaking world uses it and are unlikely to change. As it happens I was waiting for a program to use at home until Digidesign finally release Protools LE for Vista.
Markinoko is the perfect example of this snobbary, what makes you think people using a Mac know more about how it works than a windows user? From my experience, people move to OSX because they find that it’s easier to use, although maybe you have a point about Linux users. I fail to see why a beginner couldnt have access to a decent free audio recorder anyway, and if it doesnt work on his machine, it’s probably not his fault.
I fail to see the importance of POSIX support if it’s all too easy to work around.

no, sorry. that is just snobbery.

‘i use windows and so do lots of other people in my position, so you have to bend to our ways. you are in the minority so you are wrong’.

if this was a corporation writing the software purely for profit, then you may get away with calling them short sighted for not ‘supporting the mainstream’, but this is not a corporate venture. it is a small group of people writing software that they feel passionate about. one way to take that passion off someone is to force them to support a platform that a) they don’t much care for, and b) does things in a very different way (causing much more work).

besides, there has been progress on the win32 front, go onto the svn and download and compile it yourself for all the other windows users out there. or are you not prepared to put in the work that you are forcing on these ‘snobs’?

porl

It looks like there is a JACK port in progress for Windows: http://jackaudio.org/node/13 .

That announcement is over a year old.

Jack have been ported to Windows, this is the link of the review:

-jack-multi-app-audio-on-mac-linux-and-now-pc/#comments