Will ardour make analog modeled versions of stock plugins

Several of the plugins from Overtone DSP https://overtonedsp.co.uk/ are digital emulations of real analog equipment. They are not free software, but at reasonable prices and work very well. Worth a look and you can download a free evaluation copy.
I use their FC70 Fairchild limiter on the master bus for almost everything.

1 Like

Okay, fair enough. I’m still not sure I understand why Mixbus isn’t doing it for you, as that should give you a very analog sound out of the box. In Mixbus I use hardly any plugins at all, just reverb and also a loudness meter plugin on the master bus; nothing else is necessary (for the music I do anyway). You don’t have to pay for Mixbus every year, you can stick with whatever version you currently own forever and never upgrade.

For the record, sounding better and technically better programmed are two different things:). And of course for some things like EQ, there will ALWAYS be phase issues, it is inherit in the design of EQs and how they work, even linear phase EQs which increase latency and/or significantly increase processing to minimize phase issues will have some.

The problem with CALF plugins is that the there is just to much phasing for it to sound ‘good’ in my and other people’s opinions. Add that on top of the choices they made in GUI libraries meaning that for many people it causes stability issues, it just adds to a problem, on top of the issues Robin (And others) point out.

Seablade

I think mixbus can be good enough, but for my mixes, I find the 32c is not the only eq for the task, plus when I need to fix issues in my mixes I don’t use 32c, I use a regular eq to adjust things with better precision. Plus I’m still looking for good amp simulation and distortions, the ones I’ve tried on Linux so far sound cheap and low quality

Okay, fair enough, that makes sense. Yes, I do occasionally use other EQs and more commonly use spectral editing for more detailed fixes (I do that in Acon Acoustica although Reaper and even Audacity have spectral editing now and both are available on Linux). I don’t use distortion or tube simulations very much (I do have Saturn and now Saturn 2 from Fabfilter); not sure what’s available for Linux.

Does x42 eq have a setting where I can make the eq knobs bigger.

Which ones did you try for guitar amp sims and distortions?

If you right-click anywhere in the grey area you’ll get a menu to scale the entire GUI

1 Like

You might look into u-he satin or presswerk.

I didn’t get to try gurixx on a mix but I was using mixbus 32c version 5 and it didn’t work, only on ardour but I didn’t use that. I used this one mostly https://github.com/olegkapitonov/Kapitonov-Plugins-Pack and I think I tried zam plugins and also some other ones, and also calf ones etc but I didn’t like the overall quality but I used it cause it was there.

Ya that’s an option, it does cost so that’s why I haven’t purchased also because I have so many Mac and Windows plugins it makes it hard to buy again on Linux now.

Does anyone have any screenshots, I have to buy the program to see, because in mixbus it says it’s not registered and it clicks to a website link and my Linux setup is not available right to test on there

from https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-eq ?

Ok I saw that, but does any of those settings make the eq knobs bigger, there so small when I tried it, hurts my eyes and when I make the window full screen, the eq spectrum of as Bigger but the knobs were still too small for me

At 200% it looks like (click on the image for the original size)

PS.
Ardour 6 can inform LV2 plugins about the user’s preferred size (Ardour’s UI scaling). So if you’re on a HiDPI screen and have configured Ardour to scale up, the plugin GUI will also be larger when you add it).

I really wonder why there is such a big difference in aesthetics?

The functionality is great.

Most people should be able to figure out, just by reading about it, that enlarging the GUI by 200% makes the knobs twice the size they were before.

The a-* plugins don’t have a custom GUI. This is a generic UI that is created by Ardour. This is available for all plugins (right click > Edit with generic controls).

Thanks for your answer and your free plugins which are awesome Dr. Robin.

I knew about the generic control but I still wonder.
Waiting for Ardour 7 ‘;-)’

Right I understand that. I’m asking because I have no way of confirming this because I had a 24 inch screen back when I was able to test the plugin on Linux and when I put the plugin in full screen it was still small although it should of probably enabled the knobs a bit bigger considering the frequency screen was large and big. I would love to try it myself and not ask too many questions but I don’t have access the plugin on my Mac OS setup because it has to be purchased to adjust settings