Will ardour make analog modeled versions of stock plugins

A bit off topic, but I was curious if you had any plans to make a LV2 version of Zita-rev1?

I’ll answer for @x42 given he pointed this out to me: https://faust.grame.fr/tools/editor/?code=https://faust.grame.fr/doc/examples/img/src/exfaust115/exfaust115.dsp

If you click on the yellow truck icon on the left, you can create all sorts of exports including Linux LV2! The only thing I needed to change defaults for was delay (default in JACK version is 40ms not 60ms) and I think the volume output needed to be moved to 0dB (which, of course, is non-existent in the JACK version).

1 Like

I have a nagging feeling you’ve got a case of “conformation bias” here.

You’re told that your bought, proprietary plugins are “analog modeled” and therefore you “know” that they “sound better” than the open source ones people like Robin and Damien are giving you for free.

Have you done any blind test to see if your proprietary plugins really sound better than the a- ones or the other, free and open source ones?

If you think the certain plugins you like should be freely available in Linux you should either petition the creators to release them under a free and open source license, reverse engineer them yourself, start a fundraiser to pay someone to do it or ask or pay someone to create free and open source versions of the analog equipment of your particular desire.
If you’ve done that and the Ardour developers still want to only include their “generic” plugins you’re free to fork the project and create your own Ardour-AM (Analog Modeled) version.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for your response, i understand what you are saying, I have used both, my Mac OS setup and then my Linux setup, I was using mixbus 32c and I have used ardour as well, but what I found was some analog plugins do sound a certain way compared to stock regular eq, the stock eq doesn’t have to be from Linux, there is good Linux plugins and eqs but I I do find myself missing out in regards to some of my analog eq plugins are capable and and able to add a bit of warmth and body to some recordings, I even listened to comparisons and I do hear a difference, it’s not my intent to be hard on Linux but there is a difference overall, I know there is overtone plugins, they do have some nice plugins I have yet to listen to and try but when I use the calf plugins, eq10, and other plugins Linux has to offer I’m not sure if I’m getting the results I’m looking for.

Hey that website I checked it out, what does it do, I saw that it’s used for audio DSP, can people modify existing plugins and export them as Linux audio plugins

x42 has said here on the forum that Calf plugins will introduce all sorts of errors in the sound (links below).

When I was using calf plugin and others such as eq10q, I did feel at times the plugins felt kinda odd, but for the calf I did notice weird sounds while adjusting knobs, and overall I definitely felt I was missing out, but I did have mixbus 32c so it did help as I do like the Harrison eqs and compression so far, but for the Linux open source, I do know of LSP plugins but I really dislike their GUI and I find it like a circus at times, I do know of x42 eq and others, has anyone found better sounding plugins then calf for eq, compression, saturation etc. I’m not an expert on audio on a highly technical level but I definitely don’t want to be using plugins that cause phasing issues, artifacts, or just low quality dsp programing On my sessions when I have lots of amazing proprietary plugins from some of the best in the industry, I still love Linux and willing to still use it but I want to make sure I find the Good plugins. Calf plugins I do still like but I feel they are cheap plugins

If an analog sound is so important to you, I wonder if you should be using analog outboard gear instead of plugins? You could even record to tape, although that’s expensive. I watched a documentary a few weeks ago (not yet publicly available) by the filmmaker Myles O’Reilly about the analog audio engineer Julie McLarnon; she had a lot of interesting things to say about the virtues of analog; you can read a bit about her and her ethos here: https://www.juliemclarnon.com/blog

I hear you, but investing in analog gear is not in my price range unfortunately but on the other side I can just use my paid and free plugins I have on Mac and Windows, problem solved for now, however I do plan on using Linux more for computer work and audio production so I’m trying to see what my options are, but I can use both for certain things as well.

The plugins I routinely install on my machines are: x42 plugins, Zam plugins, Invada studio plugins, Noise repellent, Dragonfly reverb, Zita plugins, MDA plugins, LSP plugins, SWH plugins and TAP plugins (don’t use Tap Scaling Limiter it’s design is broken and it will introduce artifacts).

You could explore these and see if some of them does what you need.

I think I’ve had all of those on my previous setup, I also had some proprietary plugins that had Linux support, but I also have some Harrison plugins are well, I think x42-eq is a good we, i would have to just use it instead of calf plugins or eq10

Several of the plugins from Overtone DSP https://overtonedsp.co.uk/ are digital emulations of real analog equipment. They are not free software, but at reasonable prices and work very well. Worth a look and you can download a free evaluation copy.
I use their FC70 Fairchild limiter on the master bus for almost everything.

1 Like

Okay, fair enough. I’m still not sure I understand why Mixbus isn’t doing it for you, as that should give you a very analog sound out of the box. In Mixbus I use hardly any plugins at all, just reverb and also a loudness meter plugin on the master bus; nothing else is necessary (for the music I do anyway). You don’t have to pay for Mixbus every year, you can stick with whatever version you currently own forever and never upgrade.

For the record, sounding better and technically better programmed are two different things:). And of course for some things like EQ, there will ALWAYS be phase issues, it is inherit in the design of EQs and how they work, even linear phase EQs which increase latency and/or significantly increase processing to minimize phase issues will have some.

The problem with CALF plugins is that the there is just to much phasing for it to sound ‘good’ in my and other people’s opinions. Add that on top of the choices they made in GUI libraries meaning that for many people it causes stability issues, it just adds to a problem, on top of the issues Robin (And others) point out.

Seablade

I think mixbus can be good enough, but for my mixes, I find the 32c is not the only eq for the task, plus when I need to fix issues in my mixes I don’t use 32c, I use a regular eq to adjust things with better precision. Plus I’m still looking for good amp simulation and distortions, the ones I’ve tried on Linux so far sound cheap and low quality

Okay, fair enough, that makes sense. Yes, I do occasionally use other EQs and more commonly use spectral editing for more detailed fixes (I do that in Acon Acoustica although Reaper and even Audacity have spectral editing now and both are available on Linux). I don’t use distortion or tube simulations very much (I do have Saturn and now Saturn 2 from Fabfilter); not sure what’s available for Linux.

Does x42 eq have a setting where I can make the eq knobs bigger.

Which ones did you try for guitar amp sims and distortions?

If you right-click anywhere in the grey area you’ll get a menu to scale the entire GUI

1 Like

You might look into u-he satin or presswerk.