why this message "sorry, 'Ardour GTK2' is not available for this type of computer (amd64)." ??

Hello,

At Ubuntu Software Centre, I was going to install Ardour and this beautiful message appeared: “sorry, ‘Ardour GTK2’ is not available for this type of computer (amd64).”

I have a Toshiba Dynabook CX/47EE, Intel Core ™ 2 Duo CPU T7250 2.00 Ghz with 2.00 Gb

Whats happening? Is it because Im using Ubuntu from Wubi installer??

Thank U

It seems that Ubuntu doesn’t have Ardour packaged for their 64 Bit versions given that message, but that seems odd to me. It could be that you are just missing a repository.

I will let others that use Ubuntu step in here if they can and try to help you, I don’t use it that much to know the easiest way to get it working. I could get it working but there might be an easier way.

Seablade

Thank You Seablade!

but, actually the only reason I installed Ubuntu wubi in my Vista is because I was thinking that Ubuntu is compatible with Ardour.

so, if Ubuntu is not the OS for Ardour, I dont have reason to use it. Would u suggest me which Linux I should install only for the purpose of using Ardour?

Thank you again again for the reply!

Well ANY distribution of Linux CAN be compatible with Ardour. The question is how easily.

Ubuntu is certainly perfectly capable of running Ardour, particularly the newer versions, but you may still need to modify them slightly, and typically we have problems with their packaged distributions of Ardour.

Typically around here you will see suggestions to use AVLinux or Dream Linux, both of whose maintainers post on this forum regularly and are intended for multimedia production from the get go, but neither of which have a WUBI like installer either to my knowledge. I don’t have an opinion one way or the other, and Ardour does not support any one distribution over others.

Seablade

So the only thing I can do is wait for somebody’s guidance?
Is there anything else I can do?

Ive just found out that exists “Ubuntu Studio” with Ardour pre-installed. Ive never heard of it!

Is there any reason that this information is not written on Ardour documentation, or maybe it was me who havent looked at it with attention?

Since Im a unexperienced user at all, I think this way make things better and easy. correct?

saresu.bass: what version of Ubuntu are you using (10.04 Lucid, 10.10 Maverick, etc.)? Although I don’t use the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, I just checked the repos and it’s there. Also, I suspect there’s no need to enable any extra repos at your end, otherwise you shouldn’t even see the package in Ubuntu Software Center. Wubi almost certainly has nothing to do with it, as it’s just an installer which places Ubuntu into a file rather than a partition.

As a workaround: Since you only have 2GB of RAM, you don’t NEED 64-bit (64-Bit allows for more RAM than 4GB). I recommend trying the Ubuntu 32-bit version if you’re intent on a Wubi install (that is, if you absolutely don’t want to partition your hard drive), although if you don’t mind partitioning (it’s very easy and is built-in to the installer), I recommend Dream Studio (dream.dickmacinnis.com), which is Ubuntu based (easy for linux beginners), has more packages and is more up-to-date than UbuntuStudio, and comes preconfigured with Ardour and all the tweaks you need to get a stable, low-latency system (which you’ll definitely want to do eventually). Note that either Dream Studio, KXStudio, UbuntuStudio or AVLinux will be your best bets for Linux recording, but that AVLinux is Debian based (no guarantee that Ubuntu software will work with it), UbuntuStudio has the oldest packages of the bunch, and the least selection, and also doesn’t have a graphical installer (you probably want one), KXStudio is a KDE distribution (KDE is notoriously buggy on Ubuntu). These reasons, are in fact, why I put Dream Studio together in the first place.

All of the aforementioned distributions have two important things in common, however:

1. They all have PAE kernels available for 32-bit systems. This means that you can take advantage of up to 64GB of RAM without going to 64-Bit.
  2. None of the above offer a Wubi installer, so you must partition your hard drive (as I mentioned, during install) to install them as they are. However, if you do decide to install Ubuntu 32-bit via Wubi, you can easily convert this to a Dream Studio system (all the hard work will be done for you), by following the directions here: http://ardour.org/node/4010

I’m curious as to why the Ubuntu Software Centre thinks you need an amd64 version, since you say you have an Intel Core 2 Duo. Misconfiguration, perhaps?

Hum, Its so confusing…
So I might have installed the 64 bits Ubuntu?

(If the AMD64 version of Ubuntu was downloaded and installed in my laptop automatically, means that…
“You probably have a 64 bit machine, the 64AMD installation is appropriate for all 64 bit architectures whether AMD or Intel.” As is written on Wubi FAQ web site).

It doesnt make any sense to me. Wubi auto-detect (misunderstand) my configurations and then it chose 64bits for my poor little 2Gb laptop?? Correct?

Actually, I dont know how to tell if its 32 or 64 bits anyway, but what I could found is that my Linux is: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - Lucid Lynx. At Windows installer page, there is nothing written whether to choose 32 bits or 64 bits anyway as you can see http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer.

Before taking more of ur time with more and more questions, I will install Wubi and force it to install Ubuntu 32 bits and follow the instruction to upgrade to Dream as you have suggested.

By the way, thank you so much for ur time and all this information!

Me too! Ive never thought that It would cost me a lot time to migrate from windows to linux. Everything is so complicated and difficult to get now! but I quite having some fun with all this linux stuff.

There’s always a cost timewise when you move from a known system to an unknown.
Heck, even the difference between XP and Win7 makes me scratch my head quite often.

The Core2 is a 64-bit architecture so it’s no wonder Wubi chose to go 64-bit. Now, from the faq: Can I force Wubi to download and install a 32 bit version of Ubuntu?
Yes, either pre-download the appropriate 32 bit ISO manually and place it in the same folder as Wubi.exe or start Wubi with the “–32bit” argument.

The easiest way to see if it’s 32 or 64 is to start a console terminal and run ‘uname -a’. If you see “x86_64” it’s 64-bit. If you see i386 and/or i686 it’s 32. You can also try “getconf LONG_BIT”

Peder… Ive already uninstalled Wubi Ubuntu… I just couldnt wait… haha

So Core 2 is a 64 bits architecture indeed? so Wubi was “right”… interesting.

Thank you for ur instructions about the terminal, now I know how to see whether is 32 or 64 bits.

Thanks!

If you’re still considering which distribution to use for Ardour, I’ve had great results with AV Linux.
See http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

It’s 32 bit, but actually there’s negligible performance difference from 64 bits and as you only have 2GB the address space benefit of 64 bit systems is irrelevant. In fact The AV kernel supports PAE on compatible CPUs so you can use more memory if you want to.

It’s available as a Live DVD (download & burn) so you can try it without installing, and if you like it you install from the same CD.
It rapidly ended my search for a Linux audio platform, after I’d tried several versions of 64studio and Ubuntu studio with disappointing results.

What kind of results u r talking about? Would u give more details please? Im really begginer

yesterday I finally could install ubuntu i386, u know… 32 bit with Wubi. I took me days to do it… When I finally installed everything I updated packages grub-pc and grub-commom, without knowing what I was doing… I even change my ubuntu to Dream.

Couple hours ago I notice that I will have trouble soon or later because of this grub-pc stuff that is already dowloaded.

I dont need my Vista so I could wipe my laptop and install Ubuntu 10.10 but the 10.10 installer has some issues" (from Ubuntu forum), So, my last attempt is to install ubuntu 10.04.1 with Wubi and see If I can change to Dream. If it works, I will wipe my laptop and install Ubuntu 10.04.1 64bit… If it doesnt work, I quit with Ubuntu.

I’d like to know more about your results with AV.

"However, if you do decide to install Ubuntu 32-bit via Wubi, you can easily convert this to a Dream Studio system (all the hard work will be done for you), by following the directions here: http://ardour.org/node/4010."

I was wondering something… Ubuntu 64-bit can be converted to Dream Studio?