Why can't I get a fresh restart?

I have been working on a project for some time that involves importing some audio tracks generated in BIAB that I am using for accompaniment. I am then recording voice and guitar tracks on top of those tracks. My project was getting overwhelmed with retake after retake because I am trying for perfection. So I wanted to begin fresh. I re-imported the BIAB tracks, and renamed the project. When I attempt to lay down my guitar tracks in what should be a fresh project, instead of beginning with take 1 it comes up as take 23?? Why is this happening? Very frustrating!! What is going on? Strangest thing in programs that I have ever seen!! Can somebody explain??? How the heck do I get a fresh project? Thanks for any explanation.

Did you try Session>New menu item?

Can you clarify your comment as I am not sure what you mean. When you create a new session, I see three template options: Empty, Advanced, and Recording. I have tried all three and they all somehow are connecting with my previous sessions. My first take when recording guitar ends up with a label of Take 23 instead of Take 1. Maybe I will need to delete all previous work? Actually that won’t be the end of the world for me, but it seems to me to that there is definitely something wrong with the program. Can Mr. Davis weigh in on this issue?

Just verifying that you had found the “New” session menu entry. In your first post you wrote that you “renamed the project” but no where did you state explicitly that you closed the first session and used the New menu entry in the Session menu to start a completely new session.
Your description was that you renamed the session, and then your next description was “what should be a fresh project.”
Taken at face value that is not correct, renaming a session does not make a fresh project. Closing an existing session and using the New menu entry to create a new session should create a fresh project.

2 Likes

I understand. If I don’t get any explanations I will proceed to wipe files. Thanks

I can’t reproduce it with Ardour 8.2 so it’s either some bug in your particular version or it’s something in your workflow.

Presuming that all you’re doing is starting a new session, importing wav files from the old one and renaming the session, you should end up with the first new take as Take1

You can check the “next take number” by looking at the *.ardour file in your session folder and search for take-name .

Note that if you copy your old .*ardour session file over the new session file you will end up with the same take-name value as your old one.

1 Like
<Option name="raid-path" value=""/>
    <Option name="audio-search-path" value=""/>
    <Option name="midi-search-path" value=""/>
    <Option name="track-name-number" valoutput sectio
output sectio
output sectio
ue="0"/>
    <Option name="track-name-take" value="1"/>
    <Option name="take-name" value="Take23"/>
    <Option name="jack-time-master" value="1"/>
    <Option name="use-video-sync" value="0"/>
    <Option name="video-pullup" value="0"/>``

I am running 8.2   After putting all prior work in trash the *ardour file of my newly created session shows "Take23". So do I simply change this back to 1 and I am good to go?  Obviously something went wrong somewhere in my past work that has gotten transferred to anything new I now create. In my prior work I went from 44.1kHz sampling to 48 then back to 44.1. I put my current new session back to 48kHz.  Could have something got screwed up with those changes?  I have about 8 or 9 past sessions in the trash now where I was experimenting with different parameters. I would think that this is a program bug.  I just would like to have confirmation that I will be ok with this project if I make the change to "1" in the *.ardour file.  Thanks for your help!!

My reply got partially truncated. I put all previous sessions in the trash. Here is output from my new session. Do I simply change the 23 to 1 in the *Ardour file? In my previous sessions I was experimenting with sampling rates 44 vs 48kHz. Could have that created the problem? Thanks for your help!

Check the session properties menu.

See what “Take Name” is set to, and whether “Prefix Take Name” is checked.

Take Name was set at 23 for reasons of which I have no idea. I changed it to 1. Prefix Take Name was checked. I am assuming that is the default setting, and I left it checked. Should my session be back to normal now and I can proceed with confidence? Thanks to all for the great support!!! Merry Christmas to all!

I do not typically take advantage of “take name” in my Ardour use, but since that setting is in the session settings, but seemed to persist across sessions for you, I checked a new session on my own system.

The Take Name defaulted to Take7 on a new session I created. I looked in the configuration file, which on linux systems running Ardour 8.x is in ~/.config/ardour8/session.rc and indeed in that file the take-name parameter was set to Take7 in the SessionDefaults entries.

I changed the take name back to Take1 in the session settings, saved my session and exited Ardour, but the session.rc file was not updated.
Because the session.rc file was not updated, I am not sure how the SessionDefaults entries get updated. I did not have time to create an additional new session and see if the new session was back to using Take7 as the default starting name rather than Take1.
This seems like something which should be configurable from a menu rather than having to edit an XML tree in session.rc, but I did not find the correct menu entry yet to change default values used for a new session. Perhaps someone else is already familiar with where that may be found.

yes, absolutely a bug needing fixed. Thanks for your research.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.