Which distro are you using Ardour on?

Xubuntu transformed in Fluxubuntu :slight_smile:

I’m using debian etch with ardour 0.99.3 and the freebob drivers for my firewire interface. It runs fine after i tweaked some things ( like ulimit)…
No need to wait for Ubuntustudio :slight_smile: (But also no need to start a flamewar).

Mandriva 2007 with 2.6.17.13-mm-desktop-3mdv -kernel

No problemos!

Still, I would like to try Ubuntu Studio (when it’s ready), Jacklab, 64Studio, ArtistX, Studio to Go… But when it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.

64 studio

Archlinux here.

Customized Slackware here with latest kernel (2.6.19.2) and KDE 3.5.6. If I’m recording I’ll usually run twm or fluxbox to keep the system from having to do more than it needs to be at the time.

Cheers,
-Dan

64 studio and Studio to GO/fervent software.

64Studio

64Studio and Musix

Hi Mouser, I just make this ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation ) in my Etch, and works fine, what can I do more???
Thanks!

Mandrake/CCRMA/64Studio

All have been good. I am on dialup, so CCRMA/64Studio are attractive to DL the ISO’s at friends with broadband and install at home. 64Studio (32-bit) was just installed last week, because it was easier to get a newer low-latency kernel. I’ve got most of the pieces for an Opteron machine, so I will probably try the 64-bit version as soon as I can get the last needed bits. 64Studio is nice, but because the whole distro fits on one CD, they had to leave things out. I added

deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main
to /etc/sources.list so I could add more of what I wanted (change UK to closer location to you):

apt-get install k3b grip vcdimager cdparanoia toolame kdebase-kio-plugins perl-suid mplayer easytag ctags normalize-audio nmap etherape fping putty yakuake mc vim

Everything from nmap on are just network and system tools I like to have on every machine. Nano is fine, but I can’t get along very well without vi.

I use Ardour on MacOS X. But you knew that, right? :slight_smile:

Speaking from rough experience, I would say wait on FC6. FC5 is solid, though.

Kubuntu - Edgy Eft + a lot of hand compiled software…

The current installation has been through three complete hardware changes and still chugs along just fine. I must admit that I have killed Arts in a very horrible way though (may it rest in piece)…

Will update to feisty sometime soon… Interested in Ubuntu Studio - but I am a KDE power user.

gentoo, rt-sources and rtirq

64 bit OpenSuSE 10.2 with the Jacklab-Kernel 2.6.19-rt

Works fine with my laptop & usb soundcard.

Ubuntu breezy
with https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation

“dirty” install (scons) of ardour2beta12

works fine

Ok, in the end I choose 64Studio, I’m stick with Debian.
But, since I’m recording on a P4 2,4 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, I decided to do a bit of “cleanup” to make everything smoother. I’ll write it down here, maybe someone can find this helpful.

Gnome kills memory, and 64studio custom theme kills even more. I’ve uninstalled Gnome and 64studio-themes metapackage and installed XFCE. Things run really faster now, and since XFCE is based on GTK too, my beloved Ardour runs as good as ever. I’ve also changed gdm, xdm is pretty good and has everything needed. A good choice is also avoiding startup loading of some daemons (such as cups) that we don’t really need. The clearest way to do so is using BUM (BootUp Manager), that shows you everything that is loaded at startup, and you just have to uncheck what you don’t want to be loaded (bum needs gnome libraries, as far as I know, as it uninstalled when I cleared up gnome).
Anyway, on startup “free” tells me that used memory is about 110M, so I have 400M to give to Ardour and jack. Not so much, but by doing everything I’ve stated before, I’ve earned about 50-60M of memory.

and one Gentoo, one !

Simply Debian … (Sid, with a custom RT kernel)