What i have done in ardour

So i have been using ardour for around a year , though not all the time, ive come and went with it. ive not switched software or antyhing, ive just not done work on a consistant basis.
Im a live sound engineer, so thats what i mainly deal with though do deal with recording from time to time on a personal basis.
I’ll link my sound cloud which is easier than linking everything individual, but everything in there has been done through ardour, wether its a simple desk output from a live gig being brought into ardour and touched up, or a recording session with a backing track and some vocals, or acoustic guitar with vocals, and my bands live recording which is multitrack which has been mixed down through ardour with the provided plguins and calf plugins.
Im now on Ubuntu studio 12.10
which is great and bad at the same time.
out the box, everything i need is setup (studio software jack etc, pulseaudio nvidia drivers sound etc) though i had to add myself to the audio group manuall which was strange. took me days to figure out as i couldnt start jack at all unless i used root at command.
yes there are bugs many of them…
any way here is my sound cloud

The tracks that dont use ardour are the clarinet recordings these were just uploaded straight from my tascom dr05 wav recording.
Everything else has went through ardour, the live recordings that are just desk mixes used ardour to run through jamin, the accoustic trakcs are multitrack recordings through ardour with effects, the covers are backing tracks with vocals ontop, and veda is my band from a multitrack recording from the desks direct outs.
the veda recordings are a great example at what can be done with ardour since its essentially a studio recording but in a live enviremont, you have everything miced up. Since the recording was done on a 24 track hardware HD recorder (alesis HD24) latency is not an issue, the source waves import into ardour perfectly so every track is in sync. Latency on 14 tracks with plugins so far no issues, only latency issue i have had is with effects over buses and sending a track to that bus, but thats solved with taking away the dry signal in the effect and jus thaving it wet. i know from using hardware effects that dry signals doo have somwaht of a latency (its very small) but the latency of the dry signal in ardour is so much so that there is obvioius phasing, but i have always worked with complelty wet effects since as you are sending to the effeect and having it return on a sepperate channel you can control the dry wet mix between the real channel and the fx channel.
enjoy

Sorry for the duplicate post, just realised that i posted in ideas for ardour by accident, so if an admin is about they can delete that post, thanks

My sound cloud has been updated with more tracks over the past several months. All done within ardour.

The most recent song a demo composition now includes midi along with live acoustic guitars, still work in progress and working around bugs in ardour but progress isnt too bad for 2 days work starting with just a simple guitar riff and building from there.

Forgot to mention that i have moved to AV-linux now. so far it seems like the best distro for me, kx studio was awesome and i loved carla and cadence etc but KDE4 was such a drain on resources.

im using ardour 3.0 which comes with av-linux at the moment due to bugs with midi that make it impossible to work with, so i will be waiting for bug fixes until i go back to newer version.

Keep your donations coming people, ardour is really getting there. I plan on making a bigger donation for the next majour release (since i cant afford a subscription or to make regulour donations as im not working full time(

https://soundcloud.com/bazsound/composition1-v4

Composition been updated. Guitars were re-recorded with different mic position and sounds much better. I also changed the guitars parts and recorded the main riff twice panning then left and right rather than having 2 different chord progressions. Sounds much better that way as the a minor chord i was playing in the original 2nd guitar part didint match well with the main guitar chords.

Cant get any further with this song due to some quirks with midi in ardour 3.0 for some odd reason i cannot copy and paste midi regions. the 1 bit i did manage to copy and paiste is now doing some weird stuff to the region it was copied from despite them not being linked. If i try and move the pasted region to where it should be it wont move and the notes change like they have been reversed or swapped and does it to the last region previously in the track

wow WTF seriously ardour!~ wtf happened to my song!

exported again and its fine, but now that i have loaded my project back up all the edits i done to the midi parts have reverted back to what they were before! AGAIN! all the fixes i made as if they were not saved.

Hi,

Nice job so far! I like the production and the mix of dry and ‘reverbed’ sounds in ‘Composition1’ especially the drums and the acoustic strums. I also like the section where the drums go to double-time. I’m not sure what’s happening in the end sections but apparently that’s where you are running into difficulty. Just curious but if Ardour’s MIDI quirks are causing difficulty why not use Hydrogen for the drums? I realize Ardour now has MIDI but that really doesn’t diminish Hydrogen’s effectiveness in any way. Ardour3 has a long way to go for drum programming IMHO and Hydrogen seems to lock in and work very well for drums specifically…

Anyway just a suggestion not a criticism, keep at it, some cool musical ideas coming together there!

what im having difrficlutly with now is that now ardour once i export my track it exports complelty messed up, it messes the audio up as if i still have the original acoustic tracks that i recorded but moved about the file so it comes in and out at different times.

so im not sure if its the midi thats doing it or its something else, ill need to delete all the midi tracks and try and export it again see if it still exports messed up.

Does hydrogen support synths rather than using hydrogen drumkits, im really happy with the drumkit soundfont im using.

I also much prefer the linear method of midi editing compared with hydrogens drum machine method. I suppose i could just redo all the drum parts in hydrogen, but then ive got bass tracks aswell .

I think im gonna have to patch ardour into audacity and record the mix that way, and save it so that v4 can get put up properly.

I also need to add a 2nd bass track with a different bass sound to blend with the other bass so it has a bit more clarity but i just cant figure out how to duplicate the midi track so i can just load a different sound.

Just thought id update this thread. Ive left the compositions alone, not so much for the bugs but ive ran out of ideas on how to continue to song nevermind finish it.

so here is a cover.

Simple acoustic song

Pardon me by incubus.