What are transient supposed to do ?

Hi,

am doing some translation, and can’t figure out what one can do with transient. I placed one into an audio region, moved it by drag, but nothing more.

So it’s difficult to translate, when don’t know the use of item !

Thanks,

I see what you mean, im not quite sure what its for. Im guessing it is for marking location of a transient? Anyone care to explain the use of “place transient”

Yes veda_sticks, is there anyone here to explain the use of “place transient” ?

In other terms, when one does >> regions/edit/place transient, what does it permit ?

I’m not at my computer at the moment, but might it have something to do with Rhythm Ferret?

Probably you’ll like to tell more W/in front of your machine ?

You can’t place transients in a region. They are a property of the audio. A transient is basically the location of something that look likes percussive “noise”, aka a “drum hit”. I’m not why we do not call them drum hits.

a transient is a high ampitude sound with short delay, these can be probematic when trying to increase the volume of sounds as transients will limit how much you can increase the gain.

anyway thats basically what a transient is, high ampitute short duration, like spikes.

They dont get called drum hits as they describe a property of sound that can come from just about anything.

@paul:

sorry I wasn’t clear, please let me try one more time !

When one select an audio region, and place the edit point somewhere in its duration, then click on the menu “regions”, choose “edit”, and click on “place transient”, that create (at the edit point, in the selected audio region) a vertical line with triangles at edges, colored grey and quasi-transparent.
Now if one move the mouse over that “so called transient” the vertical lines & its triangles turn to red, and one can drag and drop it elsewhere in the audio region.

The question was for understanding the use of this Ardour feature, to give a correct translation for it in french, nothing more, and yes I have a little knowledge about what is a transient in audio analysis world…

Thanks,

I opt for drum hits , too!

I do not because…

They dont get called drum hits as they describe a property of sound that can come from just about anything.

“Transient” is “transitoire” in french, if it helps.

"Transient" is "transitoire" in french, if it helps.
Except that "transient" is used as a noun in this context, and "transitoire" is an adjective...

“transitoire” as a noun is widely used when talking about sound morphology. You’re supposed to understand “[phénomène] transitoire”, and, although “phénomène” is a masculine noun, “transitoire” is used as a feminine noun. There are numerous examples of adjectives used as nouns in french.

IMO this level of control over transients (in any language:) ) is most useful in a problem-solving, audio “cleaning” capacity. One example - every so often, you might have two or more tracks, drum hits (and no, the transient is not a “drum hit”, but a component of any wave-form that’s percussive in nature…) slap bass, etc. that just by coincidence have the transients lining up exactly, to the millisecond. Rare, but it’s happened to me. This can create problems at the Bus or Master/2-Bus level if it creates clipping, with what would otherwise be reasonable track volumes. So, shifting one transient over ever so slightly could be a better way to alleviate this, versus adjusting the level of compression you have on the track (not good if you like the sound you have going already), or automating the volume to REALLY get that spike in volume out of there (a pain sometimes, if the DAW’s automation doesn’t react as quickly as you’d like…)

That’s what lookahead limiters are for.

normally, most daws offer a means of having the audio region start prior to hitting peak envelope amplitude (transient) such that you can time-align the transients with the grid, so one doesnt’ get the sensation of snare drums being “slow” or opening AFTER the beat, for example. the natural envelope of sounds often has a bit of sound prior to the main impulse or strike of the skin, string pluck, etc…
does this transient feature allow time alignment with the grid? if so, that’s what it’s likely for.